Ginkgo!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would like to put this in a decent pot in spring, seeing as how I’m happy with the trunk and would just like to work the top. Thinking about a pot like this, however this one is sold... a nice similar blue, masculine pot

Opinion?

Attachments

• E6676DEF-E13A-4577-88E9-B75028581414.png
    E6676DEF-E13A-4577-88E9-B75028581414.png
    230.2 KB · Views: 81

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Scott told me mine isn't ready for a pot. If anything it could be put into a larger pot. Food for thought in development...
Yeah it’s going to be larger than what it’s in now, at least deeper if nothing else. The pot it’s currently in is quite tiny. Just depends what your goals are though I suppose. Sure I could put it in a grow box to try to heal the scar and make it a real fatty, but I don’t really care to do so. I’m content with the base so I figure why not just put it in something over sized but still nice looking.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I would like to put this in a decent pot in spring, seeing as how I’m happy with the trunk and would just like to work the top. Thinking about a pot like this, however this one is sold... a nice similar blue, masculine pot

Opinion?

I may have been the one who bought that pot for a chi-chi ginko I am training in the spring. Great minds think alike I guess!

That pot is for Shohin size trees, the base of yours looks way too large for it. If you saw Brians thread, they grow like mad when happy. Your baby needs more room to breathe!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I may have been the one who bought that pot for a chi-chi ginko I am training in the spring. Great minds think alike I guess!

That pot is for Shohin size trees, the base of yours looks way too large for it. If you saw Brians thread, they grow like mad when happy. Your baby needs more room to breathe!
Yes, the pot seemed small to me. You will hinder growth if in a formal pot that is not oversized.

Myself...I want a round pot. Easier to turn for finding the front.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Savage! Great minds indeed.

I actually didn’t look at the dimensions yet, I saw the pot last night and thought it would be nice, so I got on to look at the dimensions and price today and Yeah it’s definitely too small, but a good example of what I think would suit the tree.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Nice Ginkgo. Will love to see how it progresses.

Years ago, I thought the idea of a ginkgo was great, prehistoric tree and all. Then I looked at several in bonsai shows, usually spring and summer shows, and decided ginkgo do not make a good tree image, not particularly good as bonsai. Then about 7 years ago a freshly dug up stump, from a 30 year old seedling ginkgo, chopped to 12 inches tall, was dropped off at my house. I couldn't say no. By autumn leaf drop I was in love with the species. I will always have at least one if I possibly can.

Your tree is an excellent start, well on it's way.

pweifan

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice Ginkgo. Will love to see how it progresses.

Years ago, I thought the idea of a ginkgo was great, prehistoric tree and all. Then I looked at several in bonsai shows, usually spring and summer shows, and decided ginkgo do not make a good tree image, not particularly good as bonsai. Then about 7 years ago a freshly dug up stump, from a 30 year old seedling ginkgo, chopped to 12 inches tall, was dropped off at my house. I couldn't say no. By autumn leaf drop I was in love with the species. I will always have at least one if I possibly can.

Your tree is an excellent start, well on it's way.

Isn't it funny how you either love or hate ginkgo? I have also done a full 360 with them... loved them, wrote them off and now fully love them again. I feel like they will always be a bit awkward as bonsai, but their uniqueness makes up for it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

Opinion?
Just made a mental note...this was the light blue that I thought would go well with the fall colors. I think maybe we are on to something. Looking for an upsized pot...bigger than what it is in. To leave build ramification. If I find a pretty one...then, there will be no rush to get it into a smaller pot for awhile. That's the plan...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Isn't it funny how you either love or hate ginkgo? I have also done a full 360 with them... loved them, wrote them off and now fully love them again. I feel like they will always be a bit awkward as bonsai, but their uniqueness makes up for it.

I hope I never write them off...I am one for things that are unusual...which is why I am embracing it's uniqueness...but...to hear of TWO who loved them...then grew to hate them...then, back in love with them. Sounds like it went full circle...and, you can embrace it's characteristics and not focus on rules for every tree. If one was a stickler for rules. This species would not be one for them.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think I had read these are cold sensitive, but does anyone know how cold hardy these are? How much protection do I have to provide? What’re you doing for yours @Cadillactaste

Here’s the forecast. It was 14 last night but I brought it in temporarily along with some chojubai cuttings. Gonna be 17 tonight. I recall you having some chojubai cuttings as well and your climate is similar, @Eric Group , how are you protecting yours?

Attachments

• 2B18746F-BA00-4CB2-BD5B-1B28BF7C1AEA.png
    2B18746F-BA00-4CB2-BD5B-1B28BF7C1AEA.png
    169.1 KB · Views: 58

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I think I had read these are cold sensitive, but does anyone know how cold hardy these are? How much protection do I have to provide? What’re you doing for yours @Cadillactaste

Here’s the forecast. It was 14 last night but I brought it in temporarily along with some chojubai cuttings. I recall you having some chojubai cuttings as well and your climate is similar, @Eric Group , how are you protecting yours?
Send Scott a message...he would be a good resource to find how he winters his...with he getting -20's his pine were in a cold greenhouse. Mine is in my cold greenhouse...kept around 30F. Which doesn't help you much. I have a heat source and regulated temps.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Send Scott a message...he would be a good resource to find how he winters his...with he getting -20's his pine were in a cold greenhouse. Mine is in my cold greenhouse...kept around 30F. Which doesn't help you much. I have a heat source and regulated temps.
Oh man that’d Be nice, especially in Ohio I bet. I’ll have to see if we’re even still Facebook friends.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Oh man that’d Be nice, especially in Ohio I bet. I’ll have to see if we’re even still Facebook friends.
He answers messages real well. Even if not a friend he should get the message. Yes, it is peace of mind...when our temps were -8 by news station. Which means...-18 at the lake. I recall my first year in...but Judy got me over my artic spells...which I totally appreciate her experience and advice given. Now...it's less stressful for sure. Used to keep the temp at 28F but have that neagari which is a tad more sensitive. Bumped up the temp slight. Everyone is still happy...

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I think I had read these are cold sensitive

They resent having roots that are too moist when it freezes. It's not a problem for landscape trees, but potted ginkgos prefer some mulch/leaves above the soil in the winter -at least in zone 8.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
They resent having roots that are too moist when it freezes. It's not a problem for landscape trees, but potted ginkgos prefer some mulch/leaves above the soil in the winter -at least in zone 8.
Thanks Alain, the rest of my trees are on the ground mulched in with some pine straw and leaves. I feel like the leaves don’t help that much honestly. But does that sound sufficient then, even down to 15 degrees roughly? I wouldn’t say it’s dry, I’d say it's damp and regularly watered, but it’s in very coarse soil.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Oh no, not so!

They are street trees in Toronto. Hardy to zone 3 (about -40)
Thanks! I never know if USDA zone hardiness applies to Bonsai simply because street trees and such are protected by the ground, while mine is in a 9” bulb pan. But if you’re confident I trust you! I’ll still probably only throw a tarp over them under 15.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks! I never know if USDA zone hardiness applies to Bonsai simply because street trees and such are protected by the ground, while mine is in a 9” bulb pan. But if you’re confident I trust you! I’ll still probably only throw a tarp over them under 15.
USDA zone hardiness applies to the above ground part of the tree (where ever it may be). Roots are more sensitive, as you know - rule of thumb is one full zone # less. On the other hand a pot on the ground fully mulched over pretty well approximates ground planting for the purpose of overwintering.

You are in SC; I doubt you need to do anything other than sit it on the ground over winter.

Top Bottom