AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think I had read these are cold sensitive, but does anyone know how cold hardy these are? How much protection do I have to provide? What’re you doing for yours @Cadillactaste

Here’s the forecast. It was 14 last night but I brought it in temporarily along with some chojubai cuttings. Gonna be 17 tonight. I recall you having some chojubai cuttings as well and your climate is similar, @Eric Group , how are you protecting yours?
I don’t worry at all about Chojubai in the winter. In my experience Quince is about as cold hardy of a plant as you will find... here we rarely get into the teens. The trees that need some protection I just move under a bench and mulch the pots a bit.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I don’t worry at all about Chojubai in the winter. In my experience Quince is about as cold hardy of a plant as you will find... here we rarely get into the teens. The trees that need some protection I just move under a bench and mulch the pots a bit.
Usually we don’t get in the teens here either, maybe only once a year, but it’s showing 15, 15, and 13 the next three days again! I don’t know what’s happening.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Usually we don’t get in the teens here either, maybe only once a year, but it’s showing 15, 15, and 13 the next three days again! I don’t know what’s happening.
An artic blast for sure! I just got off early from work to oick my kid up be ause they were closing her daycare out of fear that it MIGHT snow! LOL. Winter in the south man... still, hasnt gotten much below 20 though

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
An artic blast for sure! I just got off early from work to oick my kid up be ause they were closing her daycare out of fear that it MIGHT snow! LOL. Winter in the south man... still, hasnt gotten much below 20 though
I know! Schools here are canceled tomorrow cuz we got like 0.5 inch. I was driving home from lunch today and the people in front of me were literally going <20mph in a 55. They scare me so much here because NO ONE has any idea how to drive in snow!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I know! Schools here are canceled tomorrow cuz we got like 0.5 inch. I was driving home from lunch today and the people in front of me were literally going <20mph in a 55. They scare me so much here because NO ONE has any idea how to drive in snow!
You may know this, but I've found MANY of the folks down here had no idea... when the roads are icy/snow covered, keep your vehicle in low gear, which gives you much better traction in slippery conditions and reduces the chances you'll spin your tires. Even a automatic transmission can be shifted up and down as you drive... I tend to downshift before hitting the brake pedal. That, and not over-steering in the slush. Keep it slow!!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not that this one deserves a $300 pot, buttt I think something like this might be a nice pairing with my tree? Definitely untraditional, but so is my Ginkgo. Is Stacy still here? I haven’t seen him post in a longgg time

Attachments

• 2AC0390B-03A5-4E29-A0DE-A6C5A7C998CA.png
    2AC0390B-03A5-4E29-A0DE-A6C5A7C998CA.png
    274.3 KB · Views: 42

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Generic User...Is Stacy. Has he been around...the forum has been pretty peaceful no? There...that would be the answer. No he's not been around. He is a very talented artist though.

6 1/2" pot...that seems kind of small. How big is the pot yours is currently in? Scott told me to up pot mine into a larger pot. For development...food for thought. I was looking for the same size round...but...no, wrong direction he said.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Generic User...Is Stacy. Has he been around...the forum has been pretty peaceful no? There...that would be the answer. No he's not been around. He is a very talented artist though.

6 1/2" pot...that seems kind of small. How big is the pot yours is currently in? Scott told me to up pot mine into a larger pot. For development...food for thought. I was looking for the same size round...but...no, wrong direction he said.
Whoops I thought it was 8” not cone 8. Yeah it’s likely too small, I’m sure I can find something better. But it’s a good example of an untraditional pot that could work with it. I’m really struggling to find a pot for it.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Whoops I thought it was 8” not cone 8. Yeah it’s likely too small, I’m sure I can find something better. But it’s a good example of an untraditional pot that could work with it. I’m really struggling to find a pot for it.

I'm looking for a 12" round I believe Brian Van Fleet suggested I bump up to. Would need to check my thread. Pondering do I find a glazed...or go with a trainer. Judy does upsized pots that are not training pots. I could do that too. If I found the right one. I think a smooth pot...would enhance the texture than one with texture to compete with the bark. But...that just came to me...I had been thinking a gnarly texture, go figure, lol ...a year...to find one. Or...two. It's always good to have options. Lol wishing us both to hit the jackpot with a good pairing.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I'm looking for a 12" round I believe Brian Van Fleet suggested I bump up to. Would need to check my thread. Pondering do I find a glazed...or go with a trainer. Judy does upsized pots that are not training pots. I could do that too. If I found the right one. I think a smooth pot...would enhance the texture than one with texture to compete with the bark. But...that just came to me...I had been thinking a gnarly texture, go figure, lol ...a year...to find one. Or...two. It's always good to have options. Lol wishing us both to hit the jackpot with a good pairing.
Yeah I keep going back and forth between glazed and unglazed. I like the traditional look of unglazed but a nice blue would look great with the fall colors and wouldn’t clash with the bark as you say. Decisions, decisions

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah I keep going back and forth between glazed and unglazed. I like the traditional look of unglazed but a nice blue would look great with the fall colors and wouldn’t clash with the bark as you say. Decisions, decisions
Right! I keep envisioning a shade of blue as well...lifting imaginary wine glasses to say cheers on the search my friend. We got this!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Opinions? Leaning towards the generic blue one. Gettin a repot and cutback tonight either way!

Attachments

• F7B37E6C-FEC2-45D1-8D29-E464F9128829.jpeg
    F7B37E6C-FEC2-45D1-8D29-E464F9128829.jpeg
    285.1 KB · Views: 23
  • B0D35376-A888-40C0-BF35-79D2E1038F50.jpeg
    B0D35376-A888-40C0-BF35-79D2E1038F50.jpeg
    278.2 KB · Views: 15
  • E825582F-887D-471E-8B8C-3E290B58F696.jpeg
    E825582F-887D-471E-8B8C-3E290B58F696.jpeg
    85.1 KB · Views: 18

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You happy with the development the way it is? Seen on Scott's wall...that his own ginkgo is in a 5" deep pot for development. So...I personally would not place it in a pot shallower than it already is in. Personally I am looking for a bigger deep pot for my own. Finished pot is not happening for a few years.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You happy with the development the way it is? Seen on Scott's wall...that his own ginkgo is in a 5" deep pot for development. So...I personally would not place it in a pot shallower than it already is in. Personally I am looking for a bigger deep pot for my own. Finished pot is not happening for a few years.
These are by no means finished pots. They’re much roomier than the pot it’s in now, which I think is an 8” bulb pan. Probably hold 1.5 times the soil the pot it’s in now does, They’re about as deep too, so not sacrificing anything there. But yeah I don’t really want to see a huge amount of growth anyway, I’m happy with it currently and would like to simply refine it now.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
These are by no means finished pots. They’re much roomier than the pot it’s in now, which I think is an 8” bulb pan. Probably hold 1.5 times the soil the pot it’s in now does, They’re about as deep too, so not sacrificing anything there. But yeah I don’t really want to see a huge amount of growth anyway, I’m happy with it currently and would like to simply refine it now.
I like the purplish one.

Top Bottom