Ginkgo!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So here’s the real task at hand now; healing over these chops. I think the best way to go about it is wait for the wood to dry some, seal with glue or something similar, strip a ring of bark off and cover with cut paste. Just have to wait for the rain to go away!

Attachments

• 18C7E701-1B60-473C-9C9C-CB9564EF1B7B.jpeg
    18C7E701-1B60-473C-9C9C-CB9564EF1B7B.jpeg
    314.3 KB · Views: 65

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thinking of changing the front? Mine has a scar on the back...doesn't bother me. They don't heal large scars for the most part. But will follow your process to see if it's worth trying.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thinking of changing the front? Mine has a scar on the back...doesn't bother me. They don't heal large scars for the most part. But will follow your process to see if it's worth trying.
No I’m not thinking of changing the front, I’m fairly certain the current one is best. And while the scar is on the side I feel it’s best to get it taken care of either way. I remember discussing ginkgo and healing wounds and I think we came to the conclusion they do heal, although slower than others. In any case it doesn’t hurt to try.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
No I’m not thinking of changing the front, I’m fairly certain the current one is best. And while the scar is on the side I feel it’s best to get it taken care of either way. I remember discussing ginkgo and healing wounds and I think we came to the conclusion they do heal, although slower than others. In any case it doesn’t hurt to try.
Have at it...mine doesn't bother me. It's on the backside. Keep us posted of the progress.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Have at it...mine doesn't bother me. It's on the backside. Keep us posted of the progress.
Well indeed they do heal! My post on trying to heal it was in May, but I believe I didn’t actually get around to rescarring and putting on cut paste until July/August. In any case since around that time here is the progress it’s made; substantial for a species thought to not heal well IMO! However it is still proportionally a very large scar that will take a long time to fully cover.

Attachments

• 45981F88-CF2D-4C6F-8D67-F78C2CB7DCE7.jpeg
    45981F88-CF2D-4C6F-8D67-F78C2CB7DCE7.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 54

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I’ve scanned this thread and was wondering who you bought this from. All the ginkgoes in nurseries around here are just little rooted cuttings.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I’ve scanned this thread and was wondering who you bought this from. All the ginkgoes in nurseries around here are just little rooted cuttings.
This was purchased online from someone on the Facebook auction pages, Scott Lee. He was great to do business with. Additionally, I had another ginkgo that I had only paid $15 for from a nursery in downtown Southern Pines, if you know where that is. Called Gulleys Garden center. It was about 5-6’ tall and had great potential but for whatever reason it did not survive the chop.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Asheville
Cool, I love Asheville. A very hipster town but nice. So is Wilmington though. Anyway probably never been to Southern Pines then. Have you visited Mr. Maple/ Mr Ginkgo nursery that’s close to you? They have all sorts of cultivars of both maple and Ginkgo including nice variegated ones. I’ve not been but would love to go. If you haven’t already I would stop by and ask if they have anything with a substantial trunk.

https://mrmaple.com

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Cool, I love Asheville. A very hipster town but nice. So is Wilmington though. Anyway probably never been to Southern Pines then. Have you visited Mr. Maple/ Mr Ginkgo nursery that’s close to you? They have all sorts of cultivars of both maple and Ginkgo including nice variegated ones. I’ve not been but would love to go. If you haven’t already I would stop by and ask if they have anything with a substantial trunk.

https://mrmaple.com
Yes, I have a number of their trees in my yard. However most of their stuff is rooted cuttings or grafts and not very big unless you are looking for lanscape trees. I was at Appeldorn’s nursery down near Shelby last week and got a large colorado blue spruce and hinoki but even his ginkgoes were just cuttings. No one out here has any ginkgoes of any size.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This was purchased online from someone on the Facebook auction pages, Scott Lee. He was great to do business with. Additionally, I had another ginkgo that I had only paid $15 for from a nursery in downtown Southern Pines, if you know where that is. Called Gulleys Garden center. It was about 5-6’ tall and had great potential but for whatever reason it did not survive the chop.
Did you chop below the growth? Just curious...that...and what time of year was it chopped?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Well indeed they do heal! My post on trying to heal it was in May, but I believe I didn’t actually get around to rescarring and putting on cut paste until July/August. In any case since around that time here is the progress it’s made; substantial for a species thought to not heal well IMO! However it is still proportionally a very large scar that will take a long time to fully cover.
With the cut paste on, I'll have to take your word for it. Though BVF says they heal as well.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Did you chop below the growth? Just curious...that...and what time of year was it chopped?
Yes below all growth but not all buds, and I’m not sure I believe spring? The tree was weak before hence why it was on sale, must not have had enough energy for growth after the chop. I tossed the dirt and roots from it into my vegetable grow bed though and one of the roots sprouted and send out a shoot interestingly.

Top Bottom