Ginkgo!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Scott's ginkgo and comment on pot size...mine is far from as developed...so going in deep round next spring.

FB_IMG_1522363261759.jpg
It’s about 5” deep, but trees in training need bigger pots

Mine will be going in either a 12 or 14 inch training pot...with a deep depth as Scott has.

I would say if your determined to put into one of these pots. Try both and see which is a better fit.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Scott's ginkgo and comment on pot size...mine is far from as developed...so going in deep round next spring.

View attachment 183880
It’s about 5” deep, but trees in training need bigger pots

Mine will be going in either a 12 or 14 inch training pot...with a deep depth as Scott has.

I would say if your determined to put into one of these pots. Try both and see which is a better fit.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Honestly @JoeR ... you up pot it...and if your not happy can go bigger later. I think...I may go to a training pot...unless I find a nice pot that is round the same size I like. Judy up pots all the time...its done. I personally am looking for a round pot...so the shape hinders me...because of my own visual. But imagine what ever you choose...you will love the fall color with a glazed pot.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've been wanting a ginkgo for some time but hadn't pulled the trigger until last week... Scott sent me this one and it's currently planted in my garden to fatten up for a few years. Not sure where to go with styling this one right now other then to let it grow... it may very well turn into a clump styled tree down the road.
View attachment 144740View attachment 144741
Hey Dave, Was your tree developed by growing a wide base, then cutting very low and allowing three leaders to grow?

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Honestly @JoeR ... you up pot it...and if your not happy can go bigger later. I think...I may go to a training pot...unless I find a nice pot that is round the same size I like. Judy up pots all the time...its done. I personally am looking for a round pot...so the shape hinders me...because of my own visual. But imagine what ever you choose...you will love the fall color with a glazed pot.
Thanks for the input as always Darlene!

Unfortunately I didn’t give the time this winter to make a plan and find a pot for it, so now that the buds are breaking the pressure is on to make a decision. Not trying to tell a sob story or anything, but I am working two jobs and going to school currently so I’ve been hard pressed for time, which sadly reflects in my hobbies (I also have a reef and Planted Tank addiction). So like I said I failed in finding a better pot; I literally just picked these two up today after work from a local nursery for the ginkgo.

I did not want to set it back by not repotting it as the pot was already pretty chalked full of roots, so i can only imagine what it’d look like next year. Probably a pain to repot. I could have done terra-cotta but they weren’t too much larger than the plastic one anyway. So I ended up going with the purple one even though I much preferred the blue one, simply because it’s bigger and slightly deeper. It’s by all means and purposes a training pot, for health anyway, not appearance.

As for yours, I would definitely try to get it out of the plastic pot. I just prefer ceramic for training pots because it gets so hot here and it’s healthier for the roots. I too think a round pot would be best for both our trees so if possible that would be best for yours.

Attachments

• 694C747C-5010-45D6-BF83-25A85BBC2999.jpeg
    694C747C-5010-45D6-BF83-25A85BBC2999.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 81

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hey Dave, Was your tree developed by growing a wide base, then cutting very low and allowing three leaders to grow?
Honestly, I don’t know. I suppose that might have been how it was done. Unfortunately I planted that tree out in the yard last year and it weakened from there and was dead before the end of the summer.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Not sure if I ever mentioned it but my sister really likes this one, and decided it’s a girl and named her Sheila. Haha. She said she looks Australian for some reason lol.

Sheila’s got plenty of room in this new pot.

Attachments

• 34AA100B-E0E7-4777-BC6D-87B209F43340.jpeg
    34AA100B-E0E7-4777-BC6D-87B209F43340.jpeg
    354.9 KB · Views: 84

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks for the input as always Darlene!

Unfortunately I didn’t give the time this winter to make a plan and find a pot for it, so now that the buds are breaking the pressure is on to make a decision. Not trying to tell a sob story or anything, but I am working two jobs and going to school currently so I’ve been hard pressed for time, which sadly reflects in my hobbies (I also have a reef and Planted Tank addiction). So like I said I failed in finding a better pot; I literally just picked these two up today after work from a local nursery for the ginkgo.

I did not want to set it back by not repotting it as the pot was already pretty chalked full of roots, so i can only imagine what it’d look like next year. Probably a pain to repot. I could have done terra-cotta but they weren’t too much larger than the plastic one anyway. So I ended up going with the purple one even though I much preferred the blue one, simply because it’s bigger and slightly deeper. It’s by all means and purposes a training pot, for health anyway, not appearance.

As for yours, I would definitely try to get it out of the plastic pot. I just prefer ceramic for training pots because it gets so hot here and it’s healthier for the roots. I too think a round pot would be best for both our trees so if possible that would be best for yours.

Good job of pruning as well! Looks good... I have hit this place on my journey...where...I am not so fast in rushing. It's like...let them be trees. My bald cypress had so many roots out the drain holes it was nuts. Happy and healthy...but repotted this spring. Scott said I could go another year...so...I am not sweating it. It's under grow lights now...waking up. Started to wake...so under the light it went...to keep it happy with spring here..yet, Ohio. 60's today, with snow tomorrow. Lol

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Honestly, I don’t know. I suppose that might have been how it was done. Unfortunately I planted that tree out in the yard last year and it weakened from there and was dead before the end of the summer.

Ahh Dave...that sucks! Any walnut trees around there? Juglone can make a plant decline...if intolerant.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Good job of pruning as well! Looks good... I have hit this place on my journey...where...I am not so fast in rushing. It's like...let them be trees. My bald cypress had so many roots out the drain holes it was nuts. Happy and healthy...but repotted this spring. Scott said I could go another year...so...I am not sweating it. It's under grow lights now...waking up. Started to wake...so under the light it went...to keep it happy with spring here..yet, Ohio. 60's today, with snow tomorrow. Lol
I totally understand the “let them be trees” idea. Very good place to be in your journey IMO. However I know you CAN let it go another year in that pot, but health wise Is that the best option? For me I felt like this new pot is larger and because it also stays cooler in the summer it was the better route even though it has to recover from the repot. I didn’t remove any roots really other than these ones growing through mesh in the bottom.

Where in Ohio are you? My brother just moved up to Akron this past Monday to train for a new job, he’ll end up around Lewistown PA though afterwards. Just curious.

Attachments

• E27C14E4-D44F-4BA5-B628-18C9D68E5E35.jpeg
    E27C14E4-D44F-4BA5-B628-18C9D68E5E35.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 65

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Also about the pruning... you think it’s good as is? I debated trimming a bit further but I like the form it has now.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Also about the pruning... you think it’s good as is? I debated trimming a bit further but I like the form it has now.

From what I seen...I thought it looked good. But...that's a 2D photo your seeing it first hand.

Asked my husband about Akron...his driving highway...he said hour and 15 minutes. I don't like highway traveling...so just getting to Canton...a town over from Akron takes me that long...which is closer to me than Akron...by going the back way. I take the scenic route. ?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Ahh Dave...that sucks! Any walnut trees around there? Juglone can make a plant decline...if intolerant.
Nope. Honestly, the roots really weren’t in good shape, and I should’ve left it in the pot for another year, but I was wanting it to put on some girth in the ground… Oh well.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The hardwood cuttings I took are still kickin’, albeit with oddly tiny leaves. I pulled one out just because I was curious, and it had a fat little callous ring but not quite roots yet. Hope they make it, not one has shriveled yet!

Attachments

• 05F90FDE-30BA-46AB-B215-7D138741F52E.jpeg
    05F90FDE-30BA-46AB-B215-7D138741F52E.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 8C5D4F30-F950-4D35-9AC0-FC6FFFA89A44.jpeg
    8C5D4F30-F950-4D35-9AC0-FC6FFFA89A44.jpeg
    224.6 KB · Views: 23
Top Bottom