Ginkgophiles of the world unite!

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here is my ginkgo 19yrs old from seed.
Could somebody tell me about those suckers? They have been popping out this year and doesn't even look like ginkgo suckers. Will they help to build nebari or better to keep removing?

IMAG0647-2.jpg

IMAG0645.jpg

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Here is my ginkgo 19yrs old from seed.
Could somebody tell me about those suckers? They have been popping out this year and doesn't even look like ginkgo suckers. Will they help to build nebari or better to keep removing?

View attachment 247686

View attachment 247687
Not gingko suckers - too thin and not having gingko leaves.

plant_dr

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they are equisetum then you just have to keep removing them. They are spread by spores but grow from a rhizome under the soil. You'd have to get that out when you repot. Very cool tree!

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thx guys.
It certainly looks like Equisetum, although quite interesting, according to wikipedia is a "living fossil", the only living genus of the entire class Equisetopsida, which for over 100 million years was much more diverse and dominated the understory of late Paleozoic forests. Some Equisetopsida were large trees reaching to 30 meters tall.
Any how according to RHS 'The creeping rhizomes of this pernicious plant may go down as deep as 2m' and 'Removing horsetail by hand is difficult. Although rhizomes growing near the surface can be forked out, deeper roots will require a lot of excavation. Shallow, occasional weeding is not effective and can make the problem worse, as the plant can regrow from any small pieces left behind'.

What a pain! I'm gonna have to dig those suckers badly.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If they are equisetum then you just have to keep removing them. They are spread by spores but grow from a rhizome under the soil. You'd have to get that out when you repot. Very cool tree!

Thx u. But I just repoted this year, so this means war! :-\ 🔨

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice Ginko, clumps are particularly attractive to me. How to reduce leave size? it seems that shade in spring helps? plz notice small leaves on the shaded backside in my picture.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice Ginko, clumps are particularly attractive to me. How to reduce leave size? it seems that shade in spring helps? plz notice small leaves on the shaded backside in my picture.
Shade...peculiar. I've always kept mine in full sun. I think cultivar helps to a degree. I've always read they do poorly in shade. Things that need sun and don't get enough usually have larger leaves and longer internodes.

Driftwood

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shade...peculiar. I've always kept mine in full sun. I think cultivar helps to a degree. I've always read they do poorly in shade. Things that need sun and don't get enough usually have larger leaves and longer internodes.

Yes, I still think the same about full sun but I forgot to turn my Ginkgo around leaving the backside (photo with many small leaves) facing north. The front which was facing the south doesn't have those...

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, I still think the same about full sun but I forgot to turn my Ginkgo around leaving the backside (photo with many small leaves) facing north. The front which was facing the south doesn't have those...
Peculiar...I guess mine gets sun. I don't turn mine...there is an ugly scar on the back. Yet...the leaves are all about the same. It receives afternoon sun and it's hitting it pretty hard. So it must be the reason. I think of when I didn't have the appropriate lighting for indoors with my bougie. It got larger leaves...and large internodes in winter months. Everything I have heard...was ginkgo in full sun. I had it in morning sun previous years...and this year the leaves are much smaller than previous years. (((Shrugs))) Mine thrives in full afternoon sun. Smaller leaves than morning sun. So, the idea of shade...I don't see it beneficial.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Posted this one several posts back. It’s still in its nursery container and soil. Waiting to plant in the ground next year. Overall seems healthy, but the leaves are a bit off colored. Iron deficiency? Over watering? 249862249863

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Posted this one several posts back. It’s still in its nursery container and soil. Waiting to plant in the ground next year. Overall seems healthy, but the leaves are a bit off colored. Iron deficiency? Over watering? View attachment 249862View attachment 249863

If it is in nursery soil then perhaps overwatering, doesn't look too bad at the moment though. Maybe someone else know better than I do.

Also a question, full sun is good and all but should I be doing anything to protect gingkos from 100+ degree weather?
Sundays forecast is for that, I can bring them in for the hottest part of the day I guess.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Posted this one several posts back. It’s still in its nursery container and soil. Waiting to plant in the ground next year. Overall seems healthy, but the leaves are a bit off colored. Iron deficiency? Over watering? View attachment 249862View attachment 249863
Could also be too much sun.... Sun burn if it is in sunny and hot spot.

KiwiPlantGuy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a

Hi,
Just to throw my comment in the ring. I tend to think it could be iron deficiency or another deficiency as I read somewhere Ginkgo like pH of between 6.5 - 7.5. So maybe your potting mix at 5.5-6.0 is a fraction to acidic?
Charles

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
To hot of sun is my thinking...my own did that. Not overly concerned. We had a wicked hot spell. My Chinese quince even ended up with burned spots on its leaves and it resides in the same place it's always sat...and this is a first for me as well.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
To hot of sun is my thinking...my own did that.

Same opinion : I have two from the same tree.

The air-layered part is potted in a 30+ cm high plastic pot (1 foot) and stays in the sun for most part of the day. It's about 1m50+ (5 feet-). The temperatures have reached 38° C again two days ago (100,4 F), no rain for weeks, or so rare that the raindrops vanish as sson as they touch the soil. And this one has light green leaves, some even verging to yellowish.

The lower part which is in a bonsai pot and gets the sun from 4PM till 9 looks much greener.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
OK here's my story, I bought a very nice 25 year old Ginkgo Biloba, it was imported 20 years ago from China and has spent the last 5 years in the ground and uncared for...I bought it because it has a Beautiful 2 1/2" Trunk, the tree is about 24" tall and is sparse in Foilage but appears to be healthy...
I want to Chop it down to about 6" or so & hopefully grow new Foilage for Shohin Size/Style...Is this possible with a Ginkgo, Has anyone here have some experience in this area ???
I would appreciate some advice here.....

Last edited:

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
After repotting earlier this year and leaving in full sun, I noticed the leaves turing colors as well. I was thinking maybe the roots did not fully healed and pot getting too hot. So i moved the Ginkgo to and area that gets sun till late morning. The leaves that gets sun still have yellow margin while the others that did get direct sun stays green. I'm kinda leaning more towards it being a root thing though because every single landscape ginkgo I've seen are all healthy green and they get direct sun all day every sunny days. Even the smaller scrawny ones are healthy green.

Here's mine showing direct sun exposure vs none sun exposure.
20190708_145743.jpg 20190708_145902.jpg

Top Bottom