Ginkgophiles of the world unite!

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
These two came today, I got them with the intention of adding them to my forest.
In retrospect I should used a larger pot for that but will change it next repotting I guess.

Although it only just occurred to me that these are likely different cultivars than the ones in the forest so now I'm not sure if I'll add them, it's probably nothing to worry about but I will know and it'll bug me always. Lol, problems.

IMG_20190710_095111963.jpg

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I've been pining for a gingko for a bit now, after seeing some of the ones posted here and encountering a really nice looking one at the hidden gardens that was unfortunately out of my price range at the time. I was talking to @Leo in N E Illinois, and after showing me a nice gingko he has growing, he proceeds to pull out a pile of seedlings and give me some. I can't tell if you're a good or a bad influence, Leo. lol. Thanks for the seedlings. I'm excited to see them grow.

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
it only just occurred to me that these are likely different cultivars than the ones in the forest

Yes, the leaves on each of these two also look a bit different, but since they're young, it might be because they haven't reached full maturity. The one on the right seems to have more rounded leaves, and it could be grafted : remove the moss at the base to check.

Anyway, all gingko are nice trees...

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Yes, the leaves on each of these two also look a bit different, but since they're young, it might be because they haven't reached full maturity. The one on the right seems to have more rounded leaves, and it could be grafted : remove the moss at the base to check.

They are all ginkgo seedlings, so young they only have the first pair of leaves. They were jumbled in a bag on the trip from Milwaukee, where they were pulled up out of a garden, and then transported to the farm, some 200 miles away in Michigan. You are just seeing normal variation between seedling's and variation in degree of damage in transport. No grafted trees here.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Driftwood - I would pull up the equistemon, horsetail rhizome and plant it in its own pot. They are very good as kusamono, accent plantings.

@Bolero - I have a ginkgo that was 15 or more feet tall, roughly 5 meters, and a healthy 12 cm diameter trunk, about 5 inches. It was cut down to only 10 inches tall, it back budded well enough, even though it had fairly heavy old bark. So go ahead and chop yours. But do it in spring or early summer, not autumn or winter.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b

Ahh, maybe I can clarify.

It wasn't I thought that those two may be different cultivars per se but more that I know the provenance of the trees in my forest is different from the two trees in my post that were intended to be added to said forest.
The forest came from a garden center which sells bonsai on the side, I suspect the forest comes from cuttings from their standard stock as they have more available.

The two recent purchases came from a respected bonsai place, from what I have seen is their Ginkgo's are Japanese imports and either the young trees came from Japan or are from cuttings from previous imports.

So basically I'm reasonably sure I'm dealing with different cultivars but didn't think of it at the time. And like I say I can add them to the forest but in knowing that I will always be annoyed. I think I wont add them and grab another forest from the first place to up the numbers.

sixemkay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Also a question, full sun is good and all but should I be doing anything to protect gingkos from 100+ degree weather?
Sundays forecast is for that, I can bring them in for the hottest part of the day I guess.

Maybe it’s too late for you, but I just want to put this out there for future reference:

I have noticed my ginkgo (which is in a container but is not a bonsai) will drop 90% of the leaves when the tree is exposed to hours of triple digit heat. Mine is in a very hot spot that gets sun from morning until about 1pm, so it is exposed to intense sun but is shaded during the hottest part of the day (which is from 3-6pm here).

I also have found these to be extremely slow growing. I have had mine in the same pot since 2015....when I checked it this year, assuming it would be pot bound, I was surprised to find that it could probably stay in that pot for several more years.

I bought it at a farmers market in 2014. It is very obviously grafted and the scion is starting to have a thicker trunk than the rootstock. I was told the cultivar is called “Sarah” but I have never been able to find other references to ginkgo biloba Sarah... so I wonder if it isn’t something else?

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
After repotting earlier this year and leaving in full sun, I noticed the leaves turing colors as well. I was thinking maybe the roots did not fully healed and pot getting too hot. So i moved the Ginkgo to and area that gets sun till late morning. The leaves that gets sun still have yellow margin while the others that did get direct sun stays green. I'm kinda leaning more towards it being a root thing though because every single landscape ginkgo I've seen are all healthy green and they get direct sun all day every sunny days. Even the smaller scrawny ones are healthy green.

Here's mine showing direct sun exposure vs none sun exposure.
View attachment 250945 View attachment 250946
These pictures don't look like they are the same tree.

There are lots of varieties of Ginkgo that have lighter green leaves. Too many to list. I have a 'Chi Chi' which is described as ~gold~, but is really light green. I have a 'Jade Butterfly' which is decidedly light green, and a 'Chase Manhattan' which is light green. Maybe yours is...

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Maybe it’s too late for you, but I just want to put this out there for future reference:

I have noticed my ginkgo (which is in a container but is not a bonsai) will drop 90% of the leaves when the tree is exposed to hours of triple digit heat. Mine is in a very hot spot that gets sun from morning until about 1pm, so it is exposed to intense sun but is shaded during the hottest part of the day (which is from 3-6pm here).

I also have found these to be extremely slow growing. I have had mine in the same pot since 2015....when I checked it this year, assuming it would be pot bound, I was surprised to find that it could probably stay in that pot for several more years.

I bought it at a farmers market in 2014. It is very obviously grafted and the scion is starting to have a thicker trunk than the rootstock. I was told the cultivar is called “Sarah” but I have never been able to find other references to ginkgo biloba Sarah... so I wonder if it isn’t something else?

Hi, cheers for the info.
Thankfully it never did get to 100 here but everyday is still enough to scorch the leaves.
In the end I made a table with a dodgy frame and covered it in shade cloth, the angle only really lets in morning and evening sun while filtering out the intense day sun. My Ginkgos definitely like it better under there.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
These pictures don't look like they are the same tree.

There are lots of varieties of Ginkgo that have lighter green leaves. Too many to list. I have a 'Chi Chi' which is described as ~gold~, but is really light green. I have a 'Jade Butterfly' which is decidedly light green, and a 'Chase Manhattan' which is light green. Maybe yours is...
It's the same tree. I think it's the lighting. Maybe it's a reaction to the new soil; larger DE, Lava, Pumice 1-1-1 I believe. It's growing as strong as it did last season, my first growing season with it.

Here's some pics from today. Leaves with yellow margin are from first spring growth. If this is normal, I'm all for it as it looks interesting to me. But it wasn't like this last season.
20190803_125821.jpg

sixemkay

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
A pic of my ginkgo “Sarah” which just suffered a week of avg highs over 100.
DF048629-D318-436D-AB55-C0221519F4B9.jpeg
...dropped 90% of the leaves and the ones left look like that.

And a picture of the bad graft union...potentially my fault for keeping the tree containerized?
DD323694-5459-4DD8-9CE3-1D27F979590C.jpeg

The leaf drop happens every year. It will pop out a whole new head of leaves soon and those leaves will stick around until fall.

I’m not sure if this tree was grafted just because it’s supposedly a rare varietal... or for other horticultural reasons? I can’t find any info on “Sarah” so if anyone knows about this variety, I’d love to know more.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
It's the same tree. I think it's the lighting. Maybe it's a reaction to the new soil; larger DE, Lava, Pumice 1-1-1 I believe. It's growing as strong as it did last season, my first growing season with it.

Here's some pics from today. Leaves with yellow margin are from first spring growth. If this is normal, I'm all for it as it looks interesting to me. But it wasn't like this last season.
View attachment 255872

View attachment 255873

View attachment 255874
My home town has Ginkgo lining the main streets. They turn fall colors like that. It starts as a French Manicure look. My Chi-Chi cultivar doesn't do that. It's pretty cool. Could it be early fall signs?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
View attachment 255891

And a picture of the bad graft union...potentially my fault for keeping the tree containerized?
View attachment 255892

The leaf drop happens every year. It will pop out a whole new head of leaves soon and those leaves will stick around until fall.

I’m not sure if this tree was grafted just because it’s supposedly a rare varietal... or for other horticultural reasons? I can’t find any info on “Sarah” so if anyone knows about this variety, I’d love to know more.
Container growing wouldn't make a graft worse. They can get more noticeable with maturity. It's a general nursery for landscape propagation method more likely.
They do cuttings so easily...but imagine grafting you have material quicker you can push out for sales while rooting is time.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
View attachment 255891

View attachment 255892

Maybe a sun cloth for it...if this is Typically seen for your climate. ?

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
These two came today, I got them with the intention of adding them to my forest.
In retrospect I should used a larger pot for that but will change it next repotting I guess.

Although it only just occurred to me that these are likely different cultivars than the ones in the forest so now I'm not sure if I'll add them, it's probably nothing to worry about but I will know and it'll bug me always. Lol, problems.

View attachment 251173
Not sure if would bother me overly...trees in a forest...aren't always the same. That's a personal decision for sure.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Not sure if would bother me overly...trees in a forest...aren't always the same. That's a personal decision for sure.

It could just be an elaborate ruse so I have to buy more Ginkgo's too.;)

Maybe if I can get some cuttings to strike I'll be more comfortable using them.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
They are here!!! :eek: Found this Spotted Lantern Fly outside the house yesterday. It's quite beautiful but I had to squish it as you can see. These may be more destructive than Japanese Beetles from what I've read.
20190912_193323.jpg

So this morning I thought I'll look more closely on my trees, and next door's plum trees too. I see these little pale bumps and thought something's not right. But after looking at other's Ginkgo here, I think they're normal. Are they normal? They're soft.
20190913_111848.jpg 20190913_111644.jpg 20190913_112017.jpg

The way they break out the old layer of bark like a shell is pretty neat. Just like Vitex Agnus Castus. I think after the minor root reduction this spring along with too much sun exposure too soon finally toasted the edges of old leaves :confused:
20190913_112336.jpg 20190913_110640.jpg

Top Bottom