Ginkgophiles of the world unite!

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So Ginkgo do put out more than one flush? I pruned mine back to two buds around late May, mid June I think. Now all the buds are leafing out. Summer is only halfway over, so it should have enough time to make next year's buds I assume?
20200705_191847.jpg

Minnesota Madman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I like how this is not the typical flame style ginkgo. Not that there is anything wrong with the flame style ones, this is different and you should embrace that. I wouldnt airlayer it. Its cool.

Is the branch coming up from the bottom a sacrifice branch?

And don't worry about the coarse branching either, its just a characteristic of the species.
I'm liking it just the way it is. I thought I lost this tree! It was sloth slow to begin growing this year. I'm not certain yet why, but buds didn't swell and open up until late June! Maybe a repot too late in the season last year. I didn't trim roots, just got it out of the black dirt and into modern bonsai soil. I'm keeping the low branch so it can photosynthesize as much as possible this summer. I'll air layer it off, or just chop it in another year or two. I've got a 12' yard Ginkgo I can layer branches from any old time I want.

Last edited:

Minnesota Madman

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hello , cool thread here !

Love Ginkgo !
Before , my first one , i found them not really attractive :
- Huge leaves
- Straight branches
-Strange trunks full of bumps

But now , my Quasimodo tree is one of my favorite !

I think these characteristics makes them so special , maybe , it 's better not to try to change them to much , just let them be Ginkgo !

View attachment 299257
WICKED!

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So Ginkgo do put out more than one flush? I pruned mine back to two buds around late May, mid June I think. Now all the buds are leafing out. Summer is only halfway over, so it should have enough time to make next year's buds I assume?
Mine grows this year continuously, not really in flushes. Last year too.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
In the future , i thought about reducing the height of this Ginkgo, but maybe , it would be a mistake as it would lose its slight movement to the right and become more " classic " ...

View attachment 321117

Good or bad idea ?
Any opinions
Thanks
View attachment 321130

Edit: Bottomline...I like the current profile. I wouldn't do anything drastic. Maybe below...but I do like what you have already. The other just isn't a natural Gingko shape in my minds eye. It looks to round. To chop that much off.

And just like that...my phone permitted me to load. Personally I love the fall colors to much. I might do this if mine. Very subtle. or make a pointier flame. But I wouldn't drastically chop that hard. That's just me...
20200805_143508.jpg

Last edited:

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Edit: Bottomline...I like the current profile. I wouldn't do anything drastic. Maybe below...but I do like what you have already. The other just isn't a natural Gingko shape in my minds eye. It looks to round. To chop that much off.

And just like that...my phone permitted me to load. Personally I love the fall colors to much. I might do this if mine. Very subtle. or make a pointier flame. But I wouldn't drastically chop that hard. That's just me...
View attachment 321141
I may have said it in the past, but that's a really cool pot, too.

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
@Cadillactaste, Leo, Traken,
Thank you very much for your opinion, it confirms what I thought, to leave the tree as it is, or slightly modified as in the photo of cadillacaste.

I prefer it like that with a more airy and light silhouette that if it were shortened and chunky, it would lose its lightness I think.
Thank you :)

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Cadillactaste, Leo, Traken,
Thank you very much for your opinion, it confirms what I thought, to leave the tree as it is, or slightly modified as in the photo of cadillacaste.

I prefer it like that with a more airy and light silhouette that if it were shortened and chunky, it would lose its lightness I think.
Thank you :)
Your tree is a lovely Gingko specimen. I'm glad we helped you realize this. 💗

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
In the future , i thought about reducing the height of this Ginkgo, but maybe , it would be a mistake as it would lose its slight movement to the right and become more " classic " ...

View attachment 321117

Good or bad idea ?
Any opinions
Thanks
View attachment 321130
I would make a design decision based on the winter image. Given the typical foliage size and unpredictability of Gingko, I prefer to style from the defoliated stage rather than try to compose a regular canopy profile! My excuse is that I am respecting the species rather than the traditional form. But then that carries over to the branching as well;). I like the current direction of yours.

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Alain, thanks for the comment , merci !

Frank, thank you for the analysis .
Your website is superb, I just looked at it and I really like what you offer and the elegant way to showcase the trees in this environment.
I am a big fan of Japanese decoration in the gardens.;)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Alain, thanks for the comment , merci !

Frank, thank you for the analysis .
Your website is superb, I just looked at it and I really like what you offer and the elegant way to showcase the trees in this environment.
I am a big fan of Japanese decoration in the gardens.;)
So often, less is more. I love the traditional Japanese gardens for decorative aesthetic. The nursery is functional, with limited decor in favour of design for purpose. After all I am the one who must maintain whatever I build or use. The grow beds are raised and filled with primarily pumice and inorganic media, 1/3 of the area is covered with shade cloth in season and the greenhouse is sufficient for those that require winter protection and propagation. The surrounding forest of Fir, Pine Cedar lend to the overall balance.
Website is also simple and basic, spent most of the time on the workshop. Love the space and light to work throughout the year!
Here is my ginkgo being sized up for a new pot! The pot was purchased from Vicki Chamberlain. The ginkgo is coming along being trained in a rough flame style!IMG_0853.jpeg

jaco94

Chumono
Reaction score
Franck, thank you for these explanations.

I really like this unusual Ginkgo in its form that it brings something to it because it is not in the usual stereotypes.
Superb pot of Vicki Chamberlain and the colors will be splendid with the yellow fall foliage ...
The position will be on the right side of this pot, I will see it more towards the left side .
Kind of like that.

20200806_080520.jpg

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Any styling opinions on this? It's basically got 5 symmetrical and radial main branches. The top was chopped recently after a failed airlayer, but that could be a 6th main branch.

I kind of like how it is already. Maybe I'll just wire some movement and let it be until spring.

IMG_20200805_191501.jpg

IMG_20200805_191512.jpg

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Any styling opinions on this? It's basically got 5 symmetrical and radial main branches. The top was chopped recently after a failed airlayer, but that could be a 6th main branch.

I kind of like how it is already. Maybe I'll just wire some movement and let it be until spring.

View attachment 321239

View attachment 321240
There is a lot of background static to get a good feel for what is going on. Anyway to have a neutral background?

Top Bottom