"Ginseng" Ficus mallsai

Forest Bean

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bought this fat ugly tree from walmart purely because I want to turn it into a big beautiful banyan. I want to make a statement that an ugly tree can become beautiful if given enough time and technique.

I know people hate the large ugly roots that don't resemble a tree at all. (I dislike them too)

So I'm going to make it look like one of those crazy banyans with the aerial roots climbing everywhere.

IMG_5805.JPGIMG_5801.JPG

I removed the disgusting glued in rocks and fake moss.

IMG_5934.JPG

4 inches wide, and about 2 inches thick.

IMG_5936.JPG

I am in the process of cutting off the extra branches and selecting which i want to keep. They will make good cuttings to grow as new trees or for grafting.

Next I will remove these ugly grafts that the original company put on the chop. They have no place growing on my tree. But I can stick them in some dirt to grow as new trees. They have very small leaves and I would love to try my hand at them.

IMG_5930.JPG

I have posted an eviction notice. Mr. and Mrs. Graft have 30 days to pack up their things and find somewhere else to live.

To remove them I will have to do a very short trunk chop. When I do that I will put a bag over the hole tree to create more humidity so new buds form around the chop spot.

IMG_5935.JPG

If new branches grow, I will then select which ones I want to incorporate into the cluster of future branches.

Banyans need a wide base, a ton of gnarly roots, and many thick branches that create a canopy. They remind me of Adenium arabicum.

There is this wide gap that needs filling.... Pie filling maybe? Not right... How about a tooth filling? Nah... Oh!! It needs a thread graft for a new root to fill up that gap.

IMG_5859.JPG

And thats all I have for today. Over the years I will grow out the branches banyan style. Let it grow, let it groooow. (I hate the movie Frozen) chop back to create taper, grow some more, wire it up, grow, chop, wire, grow, chop, wire... you get the point.

And I will be letting the aerial roots grow to create a better trunk and that gnarly banyan effect.

Screw the haters! A "ginseng" ficus is only a poor sapling who is abused for the profit of a company. "I'm beautiful, no matter what they saaay"

It should be a lesson to all newbies and beginners that any tree can become beautiful if you give time and the correct techniques to create the finished result.

Happy growing! :)

-Forest Bean A.

Attachments

• IMG_5934.JPG
    IMG_5934.JPG
    296 KB · Views: 4

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Nice! Adam Ask Why has done enough great work with ginseng ficuses that I have it on my "to buy" list. Just a question of finding the right booty.

Also, now I have a sea shanty stuck in my head.

Forest Bean

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice! Adam Ask Why has done enough great work with ginseng ficuses that I have it on my "to buy" list. Just a question of finding the right booty.

Also, now I have a sea shanty stuck in my head.
I love Adam's work! He is what inspired me to buy one. Mine was 15$

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Unless you can provide almost a 100% humidity, it will be difficult to make it produce aerial roots

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
My brother gave me one he got free from a lady he worked with. The only thing interesting about it was the aerial roots. I chopped most of the tubers off and buried them. I cut back the gangly top. It's ugly as hell, but throwing out new shoots.

Forest Bean

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless you can provide almost a 100% humidity, it will be difficult to make it produce aerial roots
I understand this. I don't live where there is high humidity. But in the future I can create a terrarium out of a fish tank and a grow light.

Top Bottom