Girv's Little Christmas Tree Entry

girv

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Getting my thread started for the Christmas Tree contest. The tree is a Colorado Spruce in a 5 gallon container, it's buried in the garage right now so will get a photo up of it tomorrow. Picked it up at Lowes for $20 since he potted xmas trees were 75% off.

PABonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Another entrant. Great! This will sure be a pretty cool little contest.

Warpig

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I agree, with a trunk this size I would warn not to get too tied up in the time line. If you want to make the tree the best it can be plan long term, and the contest will be a stepping stone for it. Good luck

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Honestly as of now all I know for sure is that mine will get a definite repot and a haircut!

girv

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I dug around at the trunk more and found some great taper, but the roots seem to be in rough shape and planted in dense clay with burlap. From brief research, these are very sensitive to repotting but I think that might be the right next step. If I do that though, I can't really do much else for at least a season.

B.uneasy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I dug around at the trunk more and found some great taper, but the roots seem to be in rough shape and planted in dense clay with burlap. From brief research, these are very sensitive to repotting but I think that might be the right next step. If I do that though, I can't really do much else for at least a season.
We'll be at the same stage then. Thats probably what is healthiest for the tree, and then we will know the root situation.

cishepard

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We are coming closer to the end of the Little Christmas Tree contest. Final photos should be posted in your individual threads, and will be voted on by the general membership starting on April 30.

Time to start thinking about your repotting, final design, wiring, pruning and generally getting the trees in shape for the contest!

Top Bottom