Give a NOOB a head start

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Trunk straight/boring. Cut back to first branch, develop new tree from there with decent movement. Patience grasshopper;). These develop quickly.

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Trunk straight/boring. Cut back to first branch, develop new tree from there with decent movement. Patience grasshopper;). These develop quickly.
It's field grown nothing about it is even near anything. But it has plenty of branching to do whatever I want with it

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Because riddles are better for your trees than decandling.....

And the deeper riddle, understanding why "semantics" (lol uncovered an even deeper riddle) while semantics in the real world, are not semantics at all in BonsaI!

it has plenty of branching to do whatever I want with it

If that statement were perfectly true, you could make a nice, squat, well tapered finished Bonsai today if you wanted to.

But you can not....

More true...

It has plenty of branching, driving good health, which allows you to do whatever you want to it.

Stupid right?

But check this out....lol!

Last night I was thinking about the Great Depression (it was TV)....

Got to thinking about how that was the first move at controlling us. They even named it appropriately. As after that everyone was perpetually depressed, and permanently made to fear being "out of work", as such, perfectly in line do the rats in the race fall...

What's messed up is this "tell"...

You see...the way I see it....anything after Bullshit is Bullshit....and that breeds more Bullshit.....so if "the Great Depression" was created, if it was Bullshit, it would inherently create more BS.

Look at the Usage of the word semantics (aka Bullshit)Capture+_2018-04-02-02-53-17.png

Jumping up right after the thirties and falling when they decided to "pop the housing bubble" in 2005.

I doubt this chart is accurate....but I found it
Quite interesting how it (BS) perfectly mirrors this "economy".

Further, the grandparents perpetuating the fear with stories of the Great Depression have died, so they re-up with the Housing Bubble.

Ah...if you don't believe they are trying to control us and dictate the work we do for them.....
Read about the history of Public Relations.

Sad sad sad!

Sorce

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Sry I just meant It was a Ground grown tree I picked up to play with I should be able to turn it into something nice. Maybe a Formal Upright is what I had in mind or I can chop the trunk to a lower branch and gain some movement. Anyway tons of possibilities in this tree

sparklemotion

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
If you're a "noob," how are you so sure that you should be able to turn it into something nice? What specific possibilities do you see (e.g. if you're going to "chop the trunk to a lower branch" which branch would you choose)?

I'm not saying that there aren't possibilities -- and I get that your original posts were intended as a joke (not particularly funny, which is part of why I didn't respond at the time). But now that @Potawatomi13 has brought up their concerns about the tree, I'm curious if you're being reflexively defensive, or you truly see something that others don't (entirely likely, since we have a single 2D picture to go off of).

If you truly are a noob, this is a good opportunity to learn what more experienced folks think of your potential ideas before you make (relatively) permanent decisions. If you are experienced enough to see the way(s) forward with this tree, then I would be curious to learn about them myself.

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Oh and by the way this tree has tons of movement u just can't see it from that angle. I thought it was one of the others this is not the one I picked up for the formal upright. This is that tree u said has no movement. As u can see from these pics I have repotted it in a pond basket.

Attachments

• IMG_20180402_164914.jpg
    IMG_20180402_164914.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20180402_164934.jpg
    IMG_20180402_164934.jpg
    395.5 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20180402_164922.jpg
    IMG_20180402_164922.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20180402_164943.jpg
    IMG_20180402_164943.jpg
    383.9 KB · Views: 56

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ok let me rephrase I'm hoping I can turn it in to something nice

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you're a "noob," how are you so sure that you should be able to turn it into something nice? What specific possibilities do you see (e.g. if you're going to "chop the trunk to a lower branch" which branch would you choose)?

I'm not saying that there aren't possibilities -- and I get that your original posts were intended as a joke (not particularly funny, which is part of why I didn't respond at the time). But now that @Potawatomi13 has brought up their concerns about the tree, I'm curious if you're being reflexively defensive, or you truly see something that others don't (entirely likely, since we have a single 2D picture to go off of).

If you truly are a noob, this is a good opportunity to learn what more experienced folks think of your potential ideas before you make (relatively) permanent decisions. If you are experienced enough to see the way(s) forward with this tree, then I would be curious to learn about them myself.

OK since you asked nicely. I am a true noob at this and Im not even close to being computer literate enough to use photo shop. So I hope this comes across better than I think it is.
Ok so I picked it up about a month ago from John Green in Grenville SC. @green thumb bonsai nursery. According to him this has been in a 3 gal. nursery pot for 2 yrs after being ground grown for several yrs. When I first looked at it I didn't notice the curve on the lower trunk. It was buried in potting material and being a noob I didn't go deep enough to see it. It was however slanted on a 45degree angle in the pot and had a lot of branching. I was thinking slant. After getting it home and cutting off part of the nursery pot, I find the curve in the lower trunk. I thought it was a nice surpise for a NOOB and pretty lucky maybe not. But I likie
About 2 weeks ago we ( Bill @bonsai Beginnings and myself) repotted it to the Pond Basket. I was trying to HBR it to get the roots in a Turface type Boon mix. Upon taking it out of the old pot the root ball starting falling apart so we very quickly, and cautiously got it in the pond basket. After the root ball trying to come apart I think it will be several yrs before the next repot.
So here is one my ideas on the design of this tree. 1st Semi cascade. I did not get it slanted in the pons basket like I wanted it, but as I said the root ball was falling apart and I did not want to chance killing the tree. So that's my 1st idea
I'm kinda stuck on the semi cascade right now the last pic is one I really like. maybe this will change by the time I style it, this fall/winter atm I'm seeing happy ness it's candles are still extending after the repot so I'm hoping it lives.
If anyone has any other suggestions I'm open to em atm nothing is set as far as styling goes
Thanks, Rick

Attachments

• IMG_20180402_180416.jpg
    IMG_20180402_180416.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 47
  • JBP Semi Cascade Opt. 1.jpg
    JBP Semi Cascade Opt. 1.jpg
    347.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20180402_184927.jpg
    IMG_20180402_184927.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

Toraidento

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here is the one I picked for a Formal Upright that has no movement, and a couple others I picked up hoping to turn in to something nice. although it will be a few yrs. on these 3 seeing as they just came out of the ground this year. Hoping they survive atm

Attachments

• IMG_20180402_165130.jpg
    IMG_20180402_165130.jpg
    362.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20180402_165057.jpg
    IMG_20180402_165057.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20180402_165028.jpg
    IMG_20180402_165028.jpg
    341.1 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Because riddles are better for your trees than decandling.....

And the deeper riddle, understanding why "semantics" (lol uncovered an even deeper riddle) while semantics in the real world, are not semantics at all in BonsaI!

If that statement were perfectly true, you could make a nice, squat, well tapered finished Bonsai today if you wanted to.

But you can not....

More true...

It has plenty of branching, driving good health, which allows you to do whatever you want to it.

Stupid right?

But check this out....lol!

Last night I was thinking about the Great Depression (it was TV)....

Got to thinking about how that was the first move at controlling us. They even named it appropriately. As after that everyone was perpetually depressed, and permanently made to fear being "out of work", as such, perfectly in line do the rats in the race fall...

What's messed up is this "tell"...

You see...the way I see it....anything after Bullshit is Bullshit....and that breeds more Bullshit.....so if "the Great Depression" was created, if it was Bullshit, it would inherently create more BS.

Look at the Usage of the word semantics (aka Bullshit)View attachment 184720

Jumping up right after the thirties and falling when they decided to "pop the housing bubble" in 2005.

I doubt this chart is accurate....but I found it
Quite interesting how it (BS) perfectly mirrors this "economy".

Further, the grandparents perpetuating the fear with stories of the Great Depression have died, so they re-up with the Housing Bubble.

Ah...if you don't believe they are trying to control us and dictate the work we do for them.....
Read about the history of Public Relations.

Sad sad sad!

Sorce
@Rick Walden, if you understood that, more power to ya.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sry I just meant It was a Ground grown tree I picked up to play with I should be able to turn it into something nice. Maybe a Formal Upright is what I had in mind or I can chop the trunk to a lower branch and gain some movement. Anyway tons of possibilities in this tree
Its not a good formal upright. The base it to unstable. It is a very good start to an informal upright, classical style. Are you familiar with the left right back placement of branching in the classical style?

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK since you asked nicely. I am a true noob at this and Im not even close to being computer literate enough to use photo shop. So I hope this comes across better than I think it is.
Ok so I picked it up about a month ago from John Green in Grenville SC. @green thumb bonsai nursery. According to him this has been in a 3 gal. nursery pot for 2 yrs after being ground grown for several yrs. When I first looked at it I didn't notice the curve on the lower trunk. It was buried in potting material and being a noob I didn't go deep enough to see it. It was however slanted on a 45degree angle in the pot and had a lot of branching. I was thinking slant. After getting it home and cutting off part of the nursery pot, I find the curve in the lower trunk. I thought it was a nice surpise for a NOOB and pretty lucky maybe not. But I likie
About 2 weeks ago we ( Bill @bonsai Beginnings and myself) repotted it to the Pond Basket. I was trying to HBR it to get the roots in a Turface type Boon mix. Upon taking it out of the old pot the root ball starting falling apart so we very quickly, and cautiously got it in the pond basket. After the root ball trying to come apart I think it will be several yrs before the next repot.
So here is one my ideas on the design of this tree. 1st Semi cascade. I did not get it slanted in the pons basket like I wanted it, but as I said the root ball was falling apart and I did not want to chance killing the tree. So that's my 1st idea
I'm kinda stuck on the semi cascade right now the last pic is one I really like. maybe this will change by the time I style it, this fall/winter atm I'm seeing happy ness it's candles are still extending after the repot so I'm hoping it lives.
If anyone has any other suggestions I'm open to em atm nothing is set as far as styling goes
Thanks, Rick

You SEE:D! Change angle of tree and use low branch to make beautiful Cascade:cool:. Maybe you have the eye?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, Rick
Sounds like you've done all the right things so far. Now, watch your watering. The Boon type mix is very porous.

Top Bottom