Give it a challenge

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I grew a mango tree from a seed of a great mango. In the first year it grew very well - straight and strong. I moved it to a better pot with lots of good soil. It put up a beautiful flush of leaves. Things were going great.

I babied that tree, watering and fertilizing it well. For the next year and a half, the tree stalled. There was hardly any growth. This past spring it put up a half hearted shoot with tiny leaves. I checked and checked yet could not find anything wrong with it.

I thought long and hard, drawing on all the knowledge and science I have learned. The matured leaves looked green and shiny but carried on just enough photosynthesis to keep the tree alive. The roots were healthy and full of energy but didn’t grow much because the top of the tree didn’t ask for much more. The tree was pretty much in stasis. It was kind of weird. The tropical tree just didn’t want to wake up after the cold winter more than a year ago.

I knew then what to do. I snipped all the mature leaves off the tree, leaving it almost bare. The tree responded to the challenge by putting up 2 strong shoots that grew 10 inches in less than a week. Those shoots have giant healthy leaves that are ready to capture the sun energy. The trunk grew 1/8” in diameter practically overnight so it could carry nutrient all the way up to the shoots at the top. At the crooks of the old leaf stems, many buds are showing for new branches. The tree shows tremendous vigor now.
DFD527A8-85FB-4084-8D87-C21833F60A10.jpeg

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That picture is dope.

Do you have to bring it in for winter?

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
To be honest I would let it grow as ornamental or fruit tree, Mangos are pretty bad for bonsai they dont reduce leaf or ramify well also they dont like hard pruning

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
That picture is dope.

Do you have to bring it in for winter?

Sorce
Yes. The winter before last was really cold. I brought it into my garage and kept it alive with grow light. Since then it stalled until the challenge.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
To be honest I would let it grow as ornamental or fruit tree, Mangos are pretty bad for bonsai they dont reduce leaf or ramify well also they dont like hard pruning
This won't be bonsai. It will be a fruit tree. I have a number of tropical fruit trees that I keep strictly for fruit. Right behind the mango tree is a Thai guava. That thing already have 20 fruit set on it. By the time it is done I will have about 30 fist size guava from that tree alone.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Time for a mow ;)

Or are you doing the re-wild yard thing? Some anti-lawn fad where you let your yard go to seed for butterflies and mice and such.

Srt8madness

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Also, cool tree. Interesting how tropicals/fruits can work a bit different.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Time for a mow ;)

Or are you doing the re-wild yard thing? Some anti-lawn fad where you let your yard go to seed for butterflies and mice and such.
Too much rain lately. Will mow when things dry out a bit. Front yard is nice and neat. I got the backyard mullet going on.

Top Bottom