Given the short lifespan of cherry trees, how have the Washington DC trees from 1912 stayed alive?

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Apologies for the slightly off topic query, but it is still tree related 😁

Anyways, in 1912 the mayor of Tokyo donated ~3000 trees to Washington DC and some of them are still living and flowering. I had always read that cherry trees were short lived, becoming weak and susceptible to pests/disease after a few decades. So how have they managed to keep these trees alive for all these years? World class arborists monitoring and tending to their every need? Just wondering if anyone knew any more details about this impressive horticultural feat.

Credit-Steve-Piacente.jpg

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Apologies for the slightly off topic query, but it is still tree related 😁

Anyways, in 1912 the mayor of Tokyo donated ~3000 trees to Washington DC and some of them are still living and flowering. I had always read that cherry trees were short lived, becoming weak and susceptible to pests/disease after a few decades. So how have they managed to keep these trees alive for all these years? World class arborists monitoring and tending to their every need? Just wondering if anyone knew any more details about this impressive horticultural feat.

Credit-Steve-Piacente.jpg
The National Park Service web site has a lengthy article that details how they take care of these trees.

Mycin

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The National Park Service web site has a lengthy article that details how they take care of these trees.
Sure but looking it over it didnt seem like anything out of the norm--or out of the reach of a serious hobbyist, at least. I guess i'm wondering if there's some kind of "special sauce" that they have, or if its just methodical & consistent high-quality care.

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Sure but looking it over it didnt seem like anything out of the norm--or out of the reach of a serious hobbyist, at least. I guess i'm wondering if there's some kind of "special sauce" that they have, or if its just methodical & consistent high-quality care.
That I don’t know. Well kept flowering cherries can like much longer. The Jindai Zakura cherry is 2000 years old.

Top Bottom