giving your tree a rest

Reaction score
An all to common problem for those that are new to Bonsai is under estimating the importance of a very good rest for your trees... I don't think one can stress this importance enough !!!

I can understand the excitement in learning and trying new things out... At the same time,one needs to also remember the health and condition of the tree... this to me at least, is the most important thing one needs to learn, before anything else when doing bonsai. Everything else is secondary, and revolves around this...

So as a general rule of thumb... one major surgery a year, also, take into consideration what time of year it is. Usually a tree's toughest part of the year often is winter, and it needs to be back in good health before then. If in doubt, waiting never hurt.

Most importantly... don't forget because these are living things, that they need to be able to grow as well... So when styling and trimming this needs to also be taken into account... one needs to consider if the tree will be able to substain itself in the size ,or shape you are trying to do.
Dsigning a 2" tree on a species that grows extremely large, might be rethought, as well as a style that requires very little foilage, on one that grows wild.

I think addressing the prunning myth... is important as well. The belief that one must be constantly trimming year around one's trees, keeping them perfectly styled. This in fact will usually lead to a rather weak tree. Trimming is usually done only once, or perhaps twice a year... inbetween let it go. You will find your tree all in smiles !!!
:):):)

will0911

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8/9
Great information and a great reminder! Thanks for posting!

Will B.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good tips....

Except the part on trimming. Good bonsai, I mean GOOD bonsai must be trimmed or else they lose their shape. Trimming and pinching a healthy bonsai during its growing part of the season is no more hard on it then mowing grass. My trees are invigorated by pinching.

Reaction score
no, of course Smoke you are correct... and I pinch and trim more often on some trees as well, depending on at what stage in development that are at, not to mention the rather long growing season I have here...
When one is in the advanced refinement stages, I think it is extremely important for one to maintain their tree's shape, when you are in the early stages of still trying to build a tree, however, I often feel this excess growth sometimes helps with the overall process...

Mainly, what I was trying to get at, is that... when you are first starting out, I think there is a tendency to think that one should always keep their trees perfectly trimmed at all times... and I personally believe that this is not the case. Yes there are going to be times when one should do exactly that, but as a general starting off point... I don't see the need to run outside with the scissors everytime one has a leaf out of place.
Besides running with scissors is bad !!!:)

Top Bottom