Glasshouse works

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What a rip off. I ordered 1 ficus salicifolia and 1 malpighia coccigera. The total was 37.20 with shipping. I did not think these would be this small. Plus they sent a free aralia. But here's the so sad part: the malpighia is ordered and a Fukien tea is shipped and marked malpighia. So I called the guy and he seemed nice enough on the phone but proceeded to tell me that malpighia and Fukien tea are the same thing. I'm so sad I might just throw them all in the garbage. The reason I placed the order is because I wanted a Singapore holly. I didn't even care if it was a baby. It was $12.00. Buyer beware. I am a newbie but I know what a Fukien tea is. Argh.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
That's a shame, but I wouldn't toss them out. That would REALLY be a waste of your money.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Here is a couple pics of my order and the suspect singapore holly/ Fukien tea.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 61

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Ouch! That really is a ripoff, and that is definitely a Fukien.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
For anyone who has ever seen a Fukien tea you know it has a very distinct leaf shape and white small flowers that are themselves very unique.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
For anyone who has ever seen a Fukien tea you know it has a very distinct leaf shape and white small flowers that are themselves very unique.

Yep. Singapore Holly has more holly-looking leaves. Shame.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So if anyone knows where to get a Singapore holly let me know. Not looking for a specimen just a little more than a stick would be lovely. Btw the Fukien tea has aphids. It's in the trash. Same for the aralia. I will keep the willow ficus because I already have like 20 ranging from starters to real quality and it looks clean.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Check Meehans Miniatures, I don't know if they carry the species you're looking for but I've received very nice plants (ficus, grewia, wrightia) from them...at good prices.

Chris

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The last time I was at Meehan's they had some nice Singapore Hollies. That was a little while ago, so I'm not sure if they're still around. They were rough stock in 6"-8" bulb pans with really nice trunks. Can't remember the price, but I DO remember being surprised at how cheap they were. Still, I think they were $30+. Totally worth it though -- especially if you're already going to spend $15 or so on a whip. Just save up a little more and get something worth styling.

Top Bottom