Glossary of terms

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
I'm from across the pond and i think i'm a bit daft. It was the unashamed displays of daftness that attracted me to this forum. Glad i contributed to your laughter it always makes me happy when people laugh at me.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Thanks Rockm/donkey, I am still laughing at that. TFF"

Thanks, We're here all week...:D

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
lol... clever way to help me out... I think that must be a UK thing, I've never heard that word said quite that way...;)

V

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Is there a specific bonsai term for oh sh## i've really Bal***d that up !

This is more a physical response with the left hand slapping your own forehead...:D

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
Another one i can't work out is lol am i dafter than i thought:confused::) i'm sure it's not a bonsai term is it a us thing ??

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Nope a youngster thing, it's a shorthand/lazy term in texting/typing meaning laugh out loud.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
In a nod to our dear and departed bonsai friend/mentor...

Fukinagashi: Windswept style

G was a happy dirty ol' man at heart... genteel civilities aside... so use your imagination. :p

V

OOOOHHH, I always thought it was "Fukingusti"...thanks for the clarification:D

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
I think you have confused the cyclist term for being windswept with the bonsai term for windswept style;)

BUBBAFRGA

Mame
Reaction score
All kidding aside (What, ME?), it might work better if you just give us a list of the words you don't know, and those of us who do know can then chime in - you could then compile them for yourself and others and post the complete and growing (with edits) list here or elsewhere.

Nebari are the all-important visible surface roots.

Yamadori are wild collected trees. By extension/extrapolation, yardadori are trees collected from your or someone else's backyard, gutterdori are the ones you Scotish blokes dig out of rain gutters, Chevydori are the ones collected from the engine blocks of the rusted old cars in the front yards of our Southern brethren (JUST KIDDING you guys!! :eek:), etc.

Nothing kidding I have done this.......lmao. I have a slash pine that grew in a gutter for several years. Its now in a mud box. I have pulled up Swamp Maples out of the engine of old ford so I guess that would be a Forddori. LOL.... Have you seen Lenz's work? If I did not know better I would say he was a bubba from South......lol

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I think you have confused the cyclist term for being windswept with the bonsai term for windswept style;)

Figured my cycling "hobby" would intersect with my bonsai obsession somehow...guess you just never know where.

donkey

Mame
Reaction score
i quite often cycle home with collected trees poking out the top of my rucksack which always gets funny looks especially the time i cycled with a 7 foot birch sticking out my rucksack.

Top Bottom