Gnarled Fat Ficus Help - Developing Advice

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So when I purchased this tree, it's limbs were way out of proportion with its trunk. The pot it was in was also too large and it was so root bound that I could barely get water to soak through the soil.

Long story short, I cut the base flat and cut the limbs back. I don't plan on doing any more work to it until next year, but I want development opinions. Currently, the tree leans to the right, due to no right-hand lower second branch and the right-leaning apex.

Should I try to grow a new apex that's dead center (a bud sprouted in a perfect place for this), or leave the in its current position? A new bud popped at the right place for a second branch, so that should help with the visual stability once it thickens.

Finally, should I stub the lower left-hand branch where the longer secondary branch originates? I'm thinking this could eventually result in a more horizontal first branch AND help with its taper.

I know the pot is too big for the tree, but I'm trying to encourage base flare with a shallow pot. I'm hoping a widened base will also add visual stability to the tree as well. It's a Hattori pot.

Thoughts? Thanks all!

IMG_3762.jpg IMG_3763.jpg

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
What nice material!

I like the rightward movement and think if this were mine (and based solely on a 2-D photo) I would enhance the rightward movement by completely removing that left-hand branch, along with those two buttress-like aerial roots (though that may have to wait if you chopped a LOT of roots this time.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Awesome material! I really like it. I would leave all branches for now but get rid of the aerial roots. This could be a killer banyan tree in a short time, great work!

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What nice material!

I like the rightward movement and think if this were mine (and based solely on a 2-D photo) I would enhance the rightward movement by completely removing that left-hand branch, along with those two buttress-like aerial roots (though that may have to wait if you chopped a LOT of roots this time.

Interesting... I hadn't thought about that. So would you grow the first branch on the right-hand side and then have a secondary branch on the left side a little higher? I'm assuming the canopy would be developed at the current apex then. My only question is would the tree look weird with such a strong branch on the right and a weaker one on the left?

I'm trying to figure out how to make a virt to get a better idea of what it might look like.

Thanks for the suggestion!

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Awesome material! I really like it. I would leave all branches for now but get rid of the aerial roots. This could be a killer banyan tree in a short time, great work!

Thanks! I was hoping the aerial roots would thicken and fuse with the trunk. I have a feeling that it would take years to happen though.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Here's what I thought of at first.

Attachments

• jun.jpg
    jun.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 116

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Here's what I thought of at first.

Ohhhhh, ok. So you're just thinking about a straight up canopy without side branches? I didn't consider that. It would definitely show off the trunk -- especially if I could expand its waistline at the soil level.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
But then I saw that monster with two large horns. I'm not sure that this fixes it.

Attachments

• jun.jpg
    jun.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 100

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
But then I saw that monster with two large horns. I'm not sure that this fixes it.

The good thing is that buds are popping everywhere, in a short time I'll have so many more options to work with. I'm thinking that I can significantly shorten the right apex in favor of a bud pushing about an inch below. That might get rid of the "horn" look.

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thams I wouldn't cut a thing off that beauty at all. I'd let it grow out a bit. I would like to name this one "Jabba the hut with a party wig" :)

Thats a great looking stump ficus and could not help but get better looking with more foliage, it looks a mature banyan tree with sparse foliage right now. I love it.

ed

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thams I wouldn't cut a thing off that beauty at all. I'd let it grow out a bit. I would like to name this one "Jabba the hut with a party wig" :)

Thats a great looking stump ficus and could not help but get better looking with more foliage, it looks a mature banyan tree with sparse foliage right now. I love it.

ed

Thanks Ed -- I'm going to leave it alone for now except for minor maintenance every now and again. It needs to recover for at least a season from all the chops I made. I know once I come back to it next year it'll have given me more options to work with that I hadn't considered.

Jabba the hut with a party wig! I like the sound of that.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just a quick update for this guy. It's sprouted like crazy and I've been busy with a little branch selection. Most of the shoots are too tender to even think about messing with, but I'll be nipping out buds that are sprouting from the same point to avoid any reverse taper. I've settled on a banyan style with a full canopy. I'll just keep the branches pruned to a reasonable length until the structure is solid enough to do some wiring and ramifying during the next growing season.

IMG_4300.jpg

Chuah

Shohin
Reaction score
Nice ficus. You might consider grafting the two aerial roots of the left branch to the base of the tree to create a more even nebari.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice ficus. You might consider grafting the two aerial roots of the left branch to the base of the tree to create a more even nebari.

Yeah, one of my goals is to even out the nebari. There are some thick surface roots buried on the left side that I'm hoping will swell in the more swallow pot. I've also considered encouraging aerial roots on that side to eventually fuse with the trunk. I'll figure something out!

Reaction score
Just a quick update for this guy. It's sprouted like crazy and I've been busy with a little branch selection. Most of the shoots are too tender to even think about messing with, but I'll be nipping out buds that are sprouting from the same point to avoid any reverse taper. I've settled on a banyan style with a full canopy. I'll just keep the branches pruned to a reasonable length until the structure is solid enough to do some wiring and ramifying during the next growing season.

View attachment 35301

Two things to take into account...

The first being that unlike a willow leaf or burt-davi, microcarpa will not
substain a very small shohin. So, If you are planning a very small tree,
think a tad bit bigger. :)

Second, obviously you know that you can cut these back really hard...

So, let the branches you decide to keep, just grow !!! Now obviously
I am in Florida, so I benifit more from our weather... Last summer
I wasn't happy with the way a tree was going, I cut it back,
new growth popped, I let it go, wired to shape... Now, 7 months later,
one of those new growth, is an inch thick branch... :)

So, let it go !!! Take advantage of the fact that ficus will allow you to
cut back so hard. You will be happy that you did, and will save yourself
alot of time, building your tree.

Good Luck !!!
You are off to a really good start !

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Two things to take into account...

The first being that unlike a willow leaf or burt-davi, microcarpa will not
substain a very small shohin. So, If you are planning a very small tree,
think a tad bit bigger. :)

Second, obviously you know that you can cut these back really hard...

So, let the branches you decide to keep, just grow !!! Now obviously
I am in Florida, so I benifit more from our weather... Last summer
I wasn't happy with the way a tree was going, I cut it back,
new growth popped, I let it go, wired to shape... Now, 7 months later,
one of those new growth, is an inch thick branch... :)

So, let it go !!! Take advantage of the fact that ficus will allow you to
cut back so hard. You will be happy that you did, and will save yourself
alot of time, building your tree.

Good Luck !!!
You are off to a really good start !

I'm hoping to have a fairly compact tree once it's developed a bit more. It'll probably be out of the shohin range, but not by much. I know it'll be a chore to keep the design clean (and the leaves small), but I'm up to the task. If it doesn't work out then I can always just let it grow.

I learned my lesson when I was new to bonsai with trying to cut branches back too soon to create ramification too soon. I got die back, slow growth, and a weakened tree. For now, I'm removing multiple buds and eliminating branches that will not contribute to the final design. Other than that I want all branches to grow thick enough to wire (and hold). I'll worry about the ramification as the last step.

I don't know if I'll get one inch branches in 7 months, but I'll keep my fingers crossed! I'm jealous of you Florida folks' weather. Wish you could send some of that our way up here.

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Pot advice

Just wondering thoughts on the below pot for this tree. Too masculine? Color too distracting? The size is right in terms of length and depth I think. I'm just on the fence about the other characteristics.

Patina rectangle pot.jpg

ericN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just wondering thoughts on the below pot for this tree. Too masculine? Color too distracting? The size is right in terms of length and depth I think. I'm just on the fence about the other characteristics.

View attachment 40623

Hi thams,

IMO, this can work with this tree. Like the pot and like the tree more!

Hope that helps

Eric

Top Bottom