Gnarled Fat Ficus Help - Developing Advice

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Update

Here's a quick picture update. I've been letting it run wild and only thinning branches that I no longer need. Just working on thickening the branches for now. I repotted into a wider and deeper pot to give the roots room to grow.

I lost the apex due to poor wiring/bending technique on my part. I will remember to bend with two hands from now on. Bonsai lessons...

IMG_7879.jpg

Also, random willow leaf red growth shot. I love the color of the growth tips.

IMG_7881.jpg

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here's a quick picture update. I've been letting it run wild and only thinning branches that I no longer need. Just working on thickening the branches for now. I repotted into a wider and deeper pot to give the roots room to grow.

I lost the apex due to poor wiring/bending technique on my part. I will remember to bend with two hands from now on. Bonsai lessons...

View attachment 42247

Also, random willow leaf red growth shot. I love the color of the growth tips.

View attachment 42248

What is your plan to grow the apex if you are concentrating on fattening the existing branches?

Best,
Dorothy

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What is your plan to grow the apex if you are concentrating on fattening the existing branches?

Best,
Dorothy

Hi Dorothy,

There is a new leader that's taken over as the apex. I figured I could grow the new apex while fattening the existing branches at the same time. Is there a definitive order I should be approaching the development of the tree? I don't plan for the tree to be much taller than it is now, but I know the apex will have to grow very tall to acquire the correct thickness.

Any advice would be great!

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hi Dorothy,

There is a new leader that's taken over as the apex. I figured I could grow the new apex while fattening the existing branches at the same time. Is there a definitive order I should be approaching the development of the tree? I don't plan for the tree to be much taller than it is now, but I know the apex will have to grow very tall to acquire the correct thickness.

Any advice would be great!

It will be difficult to develop the apex at the same time as the branches with kinmen ficus. Unless -you feed the apex with aerial roots. However, since it is a small tree you may be succesful by letting the top grow undisturbed. Again, if the top develops any aerial roots use them to fatten the trunk.

Best,
Dorothy

cascade

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here is a similar problem with one of my starter trees. I just posted it today on my facebook.
This is going to be a slanted Banyan. Now, this is a regular Chinese banyon aka microcarpa, not microcarpa kinmen like yours:

Banyan slanted front.jpg

Banyan slanted front back.jpg

Now you see the big hump branch to the left of the future apex. The aerial roots will fatten the entire upper trunk including apical area. The middle trunk will almost double in size an close the gap to the right fat aerial root you see on the right.

Another way to go would be the conventional chop chop:

Banyan slanted front planB.jpg

However, I find the idea of a slanted Banyon style intruiging and different. I have grown that little guy out many times just to develop the needed aerial roots. So I go for it.

Best,
Dorothy

thams

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks so much for the response. I have difficulty developing aerial roots in my environment, so I think my only option is to let the apex grow unrestrained. I know it'll take years to develop this tree the way I envision it, but I'm learning to be patient. I cursed more than a few times when I snapped the old apex...

You have fantastic ficus (and other trees) and I always appreciate your advise! I especially like your willow leaf cuttings - great little guys.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Was looking back to try and find your first thread on this tree. It lost those two branches on the right from hurricane Irma. And has a healthy air root healing and filling a crack from that day. Just adds to it's story and gnarliness. 😎

Trying to figure how long it's been in training. So this is 2013 thread. So seven years that we knowingly can claim. That's really the only age I place on a tree. Years in training.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A lot of the great ones posted on this thread.
It’s nice to remember.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A lot of the great ones posted on this thread.
It’s nice to remember.
Yeah...Jim and I...he was so amazing at trying to make me understand HOT MESS OF ROOTS. 🤦 He did tame me a bit. I see some and say...Jim, you hear me? That's one hot mess! And chuckle...
Cascade does FB ... Occasionally I admire her trees. Lots of talent there.

Top Bottom