Gnarly old Crepe Myrtle

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I tried to find an old post of this tree maybe I can locate some old pics in my laptop and add a progression- here is the history: This is a white blooms Crepe Myrtle I think I bought fromWal Mart originally.. it began as a littl eupright job and my roommate at the time had just gotten a new dog who decided she liked chewing on my trees, this poor thing was gnawed down to one branch... probably should have trashed it but I don't tend to throw trees away too often... it struggled to cling to life for years! Barely grew at all... it seems dogs and animals typically have bacteria and diseases in heir mouths that cause issues for plants... finally about 5-6 years ago it was reported and really took off! I had slanted it become a cascade... wired the cascading branch and CM are brittle so eventually I broke it... became a semicascade and I was much happier with it this way... really hard to photograph this tree but I finally decided it was time to get an appropriate Binsai pot for it... IMG_1656.JPG
IMG_1655.JPG
Damn thing is ugly as Hell but it is a survivor and I respect that! LOL. Don't know if it will ever be anything other than a "story" tree I keep because of it's history but I like it. In person it is an interesting piece in this cool little glazed crescent.

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
Nope nope there is a bonsai in there I'm sure of it. It's a bit of a puzzle tree ... my first thought was that it's an alien ... but yes there is an extraordinary tree in that first pic if you can find it.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nope nope there is a bonsai in there I'm sure of it. It's a bit of a puzzle tree ... my first thought was that it's an alien ... but yes there is an extraordinary tree in that first pic if you can find it.
Thanks, yeah that first angle is the most appealing for pics certainly...

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'd love to see more pics, if you do find some.
And, do you have any real plans for it in the future?
Or just winging it?

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'd love to see more pics, if you do find some.
And, do you have any real plans for it in the future?
Or just winging it?
Wiring is a challenge on these trees so clip and grow mostly from here on. They like to drop twigs randomly in the winter so when it leafs out and I know what branches I am working with I will clean it up, remove any dead tips and start pruning to tighten up the shape some and increase ramification....

Top Bottom