Gnats treatment advice

Jupiter

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A5
Hey guys. I've recently discovered one of my trees has gnats. I know typically they can be easily found with organic soil. This trees is in a Haydite, lava, conifer mix. I have only found one little worm so far so I don't think it's likely a bad infestation but I would like to get ahead of this thing. I read that peroxide can kill them quickly and efficiently so I figured I should give that a try along with letting things dry out a bit more. What are the opinions of this treatment? Do I give the soil a good soaking and flush with water after I do I soak and just water the next time it needs watering. Any information is greatly appreciated

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Let dry out for a day... or more.. depends on how many lights you have, then treat with mosquito bits... but avoid the area whilst it still smells like.... molasses.. that’s not good to breathe in.. Mosquito Bits works!

I’ve personally removed organic components from the “mix” of my soils in containers which come inside.. something has to draw the gnats in.. the smell of decomposing, wet organic matter does it... remove THOSE from your soil composition, no gnats.

Also keeping your indoor humidity around 50-55 percent Has helped my “rooms” MASSIVELY... I know it’s tempting to “make it feel like a greenhouse” but in all reality, the amount of diminished return after 55 percent leaves Plants weak.... moist and weak... no one wins. (Except bugs and spores)

🤓

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What @HorseloverFat said. Probably fungus gnats. I have an enclosure that I keep my tropicals in during the winter months and I get them in there once in a while. I’ve introduced springtails into my pots as an experiment. The springtails outcompete the fungus gnats so they naturally go away. They’re sold for use in bio-active terrariums. This probably isn’t a practical solution, but I just wanted to share my experience. I don’t have any issues with gnats anymore.

Jupiter

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A5
Let dry out for a day... or more.. depends on how many lights you have, then treat with mosquito bits... but avoid the area whilst it still smells like.... molasses.. that’s not good to breathe in.. Mosquito Bits works!

I’ve personally removed organic components from the “mix” of my soils in containers which come inside.. something has to draw the gnats in.. the smell of decomposing, wet organic matter does it... remove THOSE from your soil composition, no gnats.

Also keeping your indoor humidity around 50-55 percent Has helped my “rooms” MASSIVELY... I know it’s tempting to “make it feel like a greenhouse” but in all reality, the amount of diminished return after 55 percent leaves Plants weak.... moist and weak... no one wins. (Except bugs and spores)

🤓
Yeah it doesn't take too long to dry out typically. It has 5 lights on it and does get a few direct rays outside when watering and draining. I don't think I can get that exact thing but I found these mosquito dunks which from my very limited understanding is effectively the same thing. Probably what I will end up having to use. Yes I agree. I think next repot it will be strictly inorganic. I do have a humidity tray under this particular tree so maybe removing that will lessen that and have it a bit more happier. Thanks for the reply!

Jupiter

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A5
What @HorseloverFat said. Probably fungus gnats. I have an enclosure that I keep my tropicals in during the winter months and I get them in there once in a while. I’ve introduced springtails into my pots as an experiment. The springtails outcompete the fungus gnats so they naturally go away. They’re sold for use in bio-active terrariums. This probably isn’t a practical solution, but I just wanted to share my experience. I don’t have any issues with gnats anymore.
Yeah from the pictures I looked up they looked identical. I'd place a hefty wager on it at least. And yeah I don't think it's something that I would look at doing right now, but a greenhouse has crossed my mind so I will definitely have to keep that in mind for future reference. Appreciate the idea

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think next repot it will be strictly inorganic.
I think this is a good move. I’ve tried mixing organics in with my soil a lot, but it always seemed to lead to more problems than it solved. I’ve gone 100% inorganic for my tropicals and in my opinion they’re doing much better. I’m confident you’ll see a positive result too.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I think this is a good move. I’ve tried mixing organics in with my soil a lot, but it always seemed to lead to more problems than it solved. I’ve gone 100% inorganic for my tropicals and in my opinion they’re doing much better. I’m confident you’ll see a positive result too.
Absolutely!.. can NOT stress this enough.
. I do have a humidity tray under this particular tree
Get that outta there... it’s not doing what you think. More problems created with such apparatuses.

🤓

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hey guys. I've recently discovered one of my trees has gnats. I know typically they can be easily found with organic soil. This trees is in a Haydite, lava, conifer mix. I have only found one little worm so far so I don't think it's likely a bad infestation but I would like to get ahead of this thing. I read that peroxide can kill them quickly and efficiently so I figured I should give that a try along with letting things dry out a bit more. What are the opinions of this treatment? Do I give the soil a good soaking and flush with water after I do I soak and just water the next time it needs watering. Any information is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• PLANTS and Hydrogen Peroxide.pdf
    264.6 KB · Views: 19

Jupiter

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A5
This! I was reading something similar and this seems to be the consensus move for an at home remedy that from what I can tell appears to hold some merit. I may en up ordering the MD as well as a back up or a next step if the HP doesn't do the job. I think tomorrow morning I will hit it with a quick spritz of HP. The only thing is this says a 35% for soil remedy. I was looking at another source of information that said a 3% diluted to a 4 to 1 ratio should do the trick, which is actually saying for use as a foliage spray in this one. What are the chances that ratio would hold for the soil soak?

Jupiter

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A5
Absolutely!.. can NOT stress this enough.

Get that outta there... it’s not doing what you think. More problems created with such apparatuses.

🤓
Already gone lol. Which I really don't mind. It didn't look very good sitting under there haha not to mention the added benefits of the removal. My place typically stay fairly dry but to be honest I didn't have any issues before having the tray to begin with. Kinda stupid trying to fix something that wasn't broken on my part lol

Jupiter

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A5
To be completely honest I never intended using any organics, but there is a bonsai guy near me that I buy a pre mix from that has it added. I do think he has a good mix so I'm sure I'll continue to purchase seeing how difficult it is to get good soil components anywhere near me but I'll be taking out the confier chunks and probably doing one hell of a rinse along with a HP bath before going in the pot next time. Live and learn though right lol

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Last year I started propagating satsuki azalea - part of a multi year experiment. Long about a October the fungus gnats showed up in earnest. I use 70/30 peat/perlite in the media. Jus a bit of extra watering set off the fungus, So I tried mosquito bites, thesituation got a bit better, but still buggy. Then I read a post from @Osoyoung suggesting using a tablespoon of 3% H2O2 in a quart spray bottle of water. This really helped. A very few of the little buggers were still by the time I put everything outsid3 this spring.

This year in June/July I struck about 500 various satsuki /kurume cuttings in the same media, using the H2O2 spray from the gitgo. Not one gnat has showed up yet. Fingers crossed.

I never tried the 50/50% H2O2 mix on my trees @Forsoothe!‘s enclosure suggests, it also mentioned a 50/50% 3% spray/distilled water preventative spray for the garden. However Kathy Shaner gave a workshop back in the day recommending that 1 Tsp 3% H2O2 in a spray bottle of water concebtration be spritzed on satsuki bonsai each month as a preventative.

Cheers and Good Luck!
DSD sends

Jupiter

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A5
Last year I started propagating satsuki azalea - part of a multi year experiment. Long about a October the fungus gnats showed up in earnest. I use 70/30 peat/perlite in the media. Jus a bit of extra watering set off the fungus, So I tried mosquito bites, thesituation got a bit better, but still buggy. Then I read a post from @Osoyoung suggesting using a tablespoon of 3% H2O2 in a quart spray bottle of water. This really helped. A very few of the little buggers were still by the time I put everything outsid3 this spring.

This year in June/July I struck about 500 various satsuki /kurume cuttings in the same media, using the H2O2 spray from the gitgo. Not one gnat has showed up yet. Fingers crossed.

I never tried the 50/50% H2O2 mix on my trees @Forsoothe!‘s enclosure suggests, it also mentioned a 50/50% 3% spray/distilled water preventative spray for the garden. However Kathy Shaner gave a workshop back in the day recommending that 1 Tsp 3% H2O2 in a spray bottle of water concebtration be spritzed on satsuki bonsai each month as a preventative.

Cheers and Good Luck!
DSD sends
First off extremely jealous of your satsuki -_- earlier this year I was ready to offer a kidney but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I think I was too late in the season to grab from anyone around here before everything was tapped out. I'm going to try the 1-4 ratio and see how it goes. I have some distilled water around too as I was using it for the indoors before I had it in something a bit more freely draining. Back to tap right now but probably only until the roots settle and I'll go back to the distilled/liquid fert regime I've been using. I think between the drying, and also the HP I should be able to get everything ok. I've only seen one larvae at this point and I believe one mature but I killed it before I could get too close a look at it. I have been watering it a bit more since the repot, the mix is really well draining in comparison to what was in the pot beforehand. Kinda shot myself in the foot with that but I think I've managed to catch on early enough. Fingers crossed at least. Probably hit some cuttings that have been in the vicinity as well more of a precaution but I figure if the HP is diluted it really doesn't pose any harm if they don't' have anything in the soil

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
springtails ...sold for use in bio-active terrariums.
LOL maybe you've got something there. I don't have springtails in my plant pots, but they do inhabit my box turtle enclosure. I can spend hours cleaning the boxies, but the springtails always come back. No fungus gnats in there with them.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
LOL maybe you've got something there. I don't have springtails in my plant pots, but they do inhabit my box turtle enclosure. I can spend hours cleaning the boxies, but the springtails always come back. No fungus gnats in there with them.
They’re good! Especially if you have a planted enclosure. I got into closed bio-active terrariums a while back. Springtails and isopods are commonly used to keep the soil healthy in them. In my experience the springtails do a great job creating an unwelcoming environment for fungus gnats.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
They’re good!
I don't dispute that they're good, but..... When our younger boxie was tiny she was in a planted enclosure with bioactive substrate. Isopods she caught for herself were a big part of her diet. And my husband was OK with the roly-polys in her enclosure. He is quite horrified by the springtails, though, so I'm pretty sure that if I introduced them into the plants that would be grounds for divorce.

DonovanC

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I don't dispute that they're good, but..... When our younger boxie was tiny she was in a planted enclosure with bioactive substrate. Isopods she caught for herself were a big part of her diet. And my husband was OK with the roly-polys in her enclosure. He is quite horrified by the springtails, though, so I'm pretty sure that if I introduced them into the plants that would be grounds for divorce.
Yeah, no need to crumble any relationships! I wouldn’t care to have them outside of an enclosure either. They really wouldn’t be a practical solution in too many situations. Lol

Top Bottom