Gnome Chrysanthemum Bonsai

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
These are some gnome chrysanthemums that I got as inch tall cuttings in early June. I wanted to get a few pictures up of their structure before they go into bloom in the next few weeks. This is such a fun project at such an accelerated speed compared to what most of our trees take to develop. Just wondering if anyone else on the forum plays around with these as a summer project?IMG_5612.JPG IMG_5613.JPG IMG_5614.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
i picked up some dwarf mums early on in the summer with just this idea in mind, hehe. i didn't realize how much snails love them! :eek:

admittedly, didn't touch them too often (other than to sprinkled them with snail bait).

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Mine are close to blooming. pics then. don't remember the varieties, but 3 different but one did not make it through my summer. Can't wait to see them in full bloom. In bulb pots not bonsai pots, but they don't know the difference.

Now to get them through the winter. And that becomes a question for all --- how?

Josh88

Shohin
Reaction score
Mine are close to blooming. pics then. don't remember the varieties, but 3 different but one did not make it through my summer. Can't wait to see them in full bloom. In bulb pots not bonsai pots, but they don't know the difference.

Now to get them through the winter. And that becomes a question for all --- how?
The bonsai group in my area worked with these last year and the folks that had success overwintering them either left them in their garage or outside protected from chill winds (we have rather mild winters for the most part). The consensus was not to let them get too wet over winter. Folks that left them exposed to our constant rain had little success.

Top Bottom