Go to bonsaisite!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For what it's worth, it appears bonsaisite has been infected with malicious software. At least two of the pages have been compromised. I would recommend you stay away from the site until it has been fixed. I am taking down the site link until it has been cleaned.

Of course, posts like this often send tons of people flocking to the site. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the heads up Greg but BS has not been a site I have frequented for quite a while.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I am not sure it is an active site. Over 50% of the outbound links are dead. I haven't seen any updates in a long time. I am just glad I am militant about keeping my web security up to date - nothing scares me more than surfing to a site and getting malware warning popups.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I can't speak for the rest of the site, but the forum at Bsite is very active, in fact I have to say it is the most active English speaking bonsai forum on the web. That being said, it is basically a beginner forum.

My security has caught a malware here and there and the site has been down a few times over the last months.

Caution is always a wise path.

Will

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, there are lots of other reasons for avoiding BS, in my too vast and prolonged experience over there. :mad:

The absentee landlord over at BS is a mixed blessing, given his attitude towards things. In contrast, Nut, you have done a great job keeping things up and running when the others all around you have not - thanks. :)

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
The absentee landlord over at BS is a mixed blessing, given his attitude towards things. In contrast, Nut, you have done a great job keeping things up and running when the others all around you have not - thanks. :)
Which one? Seems to me there are several, or at least several that think they are. No need going there Will, I hear you.

Fangorn

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well, there are lots of other reasons for avoiding BS, in my too vast and prolonged experience over there. :mad:

Besides an annoying habit of commenting on posted pictures of trees what else is there?

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Why avoid it? I go there everyday and there are no problems at all.

lennard

Seedling
Reaction score
For what it's worth, it appears bonsaisite has been infected with malicious software. At least two of the pages have been compromised. I would recommend you stay away from the site until it has been fixed. I am taking down the site link until it has been cleaned.

Of course, posts like this often send tons of people flocking to the site. Don't say I didn't warn you.

I have quickly run through the site and could not find anything. Could you please be more specific where you have encountered the malicious software so that the moderators can contact Dan?

Lennard

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I cannot seem to find anything either. Hi lennard!

bisjoe

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I have quickly run through the site and could not find anything. Could you please be more specific where you have encountered the malicious software so that the moderators can contact Dan?

Lennard

Thanks, Nut,

I have passed on your comments to Dan, but after running through most of the site cannot find any problems. The forum looks clean, it has 22 recent new posts from 18 people this morning with no problems.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Greg, I understand your intention. However I wonder if taking down the link and then contacting the site admin or mods would have not been a better coarse of action, instead of posting a thread Avoid BonsaiSite. If after the proper notification corrective action wasn't taken then I can see where a post like this might be warranted.

Just a thought.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Well I hate to think people feel I have ulterior motives, so I will change the title of this thread. Feel free to go and browse to your hearts' content.

I have passed the security logs to site moderators who are going to try to get to the bottom of it.

For what it's worth, people will notice that I audited and posted over 100 sites to the new BonsaiNut links area yesterday. What you don't see is the 300 (or more) sites that I audited that did NOT get posted - either because of quality, or bad maintenance, or security issues. I initially had created the bonsaisite link, but later in the day returned to the site via a different link and encountered the security issues - so I disabled the link in the short term. I will avoid posting warnings like this in the future because:

(1) It doesn't do any good - people immediately go to the site and try to get infected/compromised.
(2) I somehow end up looking like an evil person.

So in the end it's a waste of time and leaves me feeling crappy. It won't happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom