Goelote? Calcined clay (LECA)?

AutumnWolf13

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got a bag of Geolite (lightly expanded clay aggregate) similar to hydroton, but sort of a brownish-charcoal to charcoal in color. Not sure what the difference is but I like the color much better than Turface and it seems to have larger pores, almost like pumice or scoria. It is in 16mm size and I crush and screen it to 1/8 to 1/4 inch. I can easily get Turface, but I don't like the high waste content of overly small particles.

Has anyone ever used Geolite.....any info?
I'm not sure what's the difference between Turface, Bonsai Block and Geolite, which are all labeled as LECA, or calcined clay, but they seem to be different in color and porosity. Is it the clay material used or the firing temps that make the difference?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Don't know the products. My searches for Geolite yielded a NASA Satellite program.

Clays vary in chemistry, but generally clays that are fired to 1200 F are vitrified enough that they are mostly inert.

Turface is the mineral illite - a partially metamorphic clay, meaning nature more or less fused the clay into a soft stone like product. Most turface is mined sifted and sorted, and then sold as is. It is not usually fired after mining, unless the manufacturer specifically states that is was firsed. Illite as it comes from the mine is essentially clay that is part way through the metamorphic process, if it was completely metamorphosed, it would become shale. Some manufacturers will fire the illite, and they will say so in their literature.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@AutumnWolf13 ,.

this one is round, follows the ball bearing principle.
Is also water porous, and can hold fertiliser in solution.
Does not float.
The addition of some aged compost, allows for microbes.

An example in use ---------- hand rolled home made.
Fired to around 950 deg.C earthenware.
Good Day
Anthony

Idea came from a lady on IBC from Denmark , she used leca for her ficus [ Y,Graeubeck ]

ficus p2.jpg

Ficus p2 b.jpg

Top Bottom