going about cuttings

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Decided to moe this out of the thread to keep @sorce s thread clean..

What is your trick to deciduous cuttings? Being new to cuttings beyond taking them for mom I haven’t had any luck. Trying random samples all year trying rooting hormone water etc. I haven’t found a good way to nail down what works yet. I’m leaving them all in until spring at least as they still “feel” green.

This year has been a very good year for propagation for me. From seed (I now have roughly 300 seedlings of maples, zelkova, elm, larch, but also a few dozen cuttings and for most it looks like they struck, arakawa maple, corkbark elm, malus, cork bark pine (still alive at least!), Azalea, BRT, rosemary, mume.

I have taken them all the same way. When pruning, I have taken the still very young or just maturing branches and cut sections of 2-6 inches long. Removed all but the top leaves. Dipped in rooting hormone dip and placed in 4 inch diameter containers, each filled halfway with my regular substrate. While holding the cuttings in place I filled the pots with fine substrate, seems to matter little what type, but as I have a large bag of fine vermiculite this is the predominant part. Water well and let the pot drip out. Then I placed the whole thing in a large zip-lock bag.

early may:
1595397810328.png
The bagged plants were placed in a spot in my garden with an hour or 2 sun in the morning. I have opened the baggies at least weekly to refresh and let the leaves dry. Add a little water whenever no condensation was on the inside of the baggie.

After about 6-8 weeks I open the top of the baggies, just undoing the zip. And over time I move the baggie down untill either the cutting start to wilt (Which is a reason to bring the baggie up again!) or untill it is at the pots rim.

This weekend, new growth in red, a good sign roots are present:
1595397916878.png

Corky elms
1595397954408.png

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Thank you this is exactly what I needed! Species dependent on what time of year you collect cuttings? Or just whenever you have cuttings from pruning?

Trenthany

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10A
Thank you! That’s what I’ve been doing as I clean my yard but I’m hoping the bag will make the difference!

Top Bottom