Going to Bonsai Art School, who wants to come?

Reaction score
There has been a lot of discussion of lately about the Art side of Bonsai. A subject where very little information is found and often very little is taught, or even discussed.

I know some time back I and B-Nut started doing some of these types of threads, but they then fell by the way side. ..

I thought if anyone was interested, that perhaps we could get them going again? Might kill the dulldrums of winter? And perhaps allow us to dicuss something positive that perhaps we all could benefit from. I think that for the moment, unless one could suggest a better place for them, that they would fit here in the Advanced category. Not, because they are advanced... just not many post here and perhaps they would not get lost. If so... perhaps we could lists separate threads with the title of "Bonsai Art School" before the threads posted?

What does everyone think? Would be willing to contribute and post some up, obviously others can do so as well... they take a lot of effort to put together, so would need the support!
Thanks!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Sure thing..I am originally an artist.......turned.... bonsai artist in trainING
Cool, then feel free to join in and add anything of value you might want!

The whole point of the concept of this would be to examine and explore how the basics of traditional Art might transfer to Bonsai. And how through examining these basic fundamentals, we might be able to put some of this into what we are doing.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks Sawgrass, for starting a positive thread. Outside of bonsai, I don't have much of an art background so I'd be very interested in the perspectives of those that do. Speaking of perspective - here's an interesting picture by way of a topic to get us started:

Untitled.jpg

I've noticed in visual arts perspective is created by drawing the eye to a focal point that can help establish a sense of depth and distance in an image. This is one of the clearest examples I've found of how this is done. So I wonder - do any of you know of some good examples of where this concept is effectively used in bonsai to do the same thing?

Scott

Last edited:

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Sawgrass, for starting a positive thread. Outside of bonsai, I don't have much of an art background so I'd be very interested in the perspectives of those that do. Speaking of perspective - here's an interesting picture by way of a topic to get us started:

View attachment 89264

I've noticed in visual arts perspective is created by drawing the eye to a focal point that can help establish a sense of depth and distance in an image. This is one of the clearest examples I've found of how this is done. So I wonder - do any of you know of some good examples of where this concept is effectively used in bonsai to do the same thing?

Scott
upload_2015-12-16_20-36-44.png

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If I may.

Stems in front are taller and thicker than the ones in back. Pads in back are smaller than the pads in front.

It is so hard to see in a photo. In person it is jaw dropping, especially with the right lighting (which the Nat Arboretum had and I presume still does).

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's a really good idea ! :cool:

Sure thing..I am originally an artist.......turned.... bonsai artist in trainING

Cool, me too!
Which art(s) do you come from if I may ask.
Me: science, writing, painting, in chronological order :)

garywood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool bonsai - but please explain. I have a couple of thoughts, but where do you see the focal point of this composition? What perspective is being created with it? Here is a bit larger and earlier image of Goshin:

View attachment 89269

Scott
Scott, I know you are aware Goshin and most everyone that is the least bit interested in bonsai Americana. I understand the point of conversation but to me this is a complex piece that you either see the perspective or you don't. I like the shot with John better. Anyway, you asked for an example and that is one of the best for me ;-)

Alain

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Cool bonsai - but please explain. I have a couple of thoughts, but where do you see the focal point of this composition? What perspective is being created with it? Here is a bit larger and earlier image of Goshin:

View attachment 89269

Scott

Although that sounds like a fantabulous question it seems to me that this is the first post of the forum to be ;)

Reaction score

View attachment 89264

Scott
Thanks for the reply! I had planned on showing exactly what you are asking. Perspective in a tree can greatly help to increase the feel of depth and scale... not to mention greatly increase a tree's interest.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How about this one?

meifuten-trees-38.jpg

I see two focal points. The first is defined by the outer canopy and points to the apex of the tallest tree. The second is defined by the trunk lines and points to the nebari. I think the focal point at the apex enhances the feeling of height in the composition while the one at the nebari draws attention to the fused base. What do you think?

Scott

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do you think?

This is an excellent example of exactly what you described.

Add.....the photo, being near perfect, allows for the table to taper at the same angle as the canopy, I think this adds greatly to the run up and down the tree.
Makes it more pleasing to follow.

With a lighter table (note soil color), or a little "off" size. I believe the effect would be lessened greatly.

Somehow, the rock just balances everything, doesn't draw attention....but is completely necessary......

Very nice.

Sorce

Ironbeaver

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
meifuten-trees-38 movement.jpg So the vanishing point, drawn from the two table edges seems to put your vision right in the centre of the foliage mass. The angled trunks pull your eye down to the nebari, and the line in the moss leads to the rock. The rock pulls you to the right and "breaks" the line of the pot sending you back up into the branched or around the rim and back to the trees.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
That's a really cool point about the table. I hadn't noticed it. Thanks Sorce and Ironbeaver.

Scott

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Scott, I know you are aware Goshin and most everyone that is the least bit interested in bonsai Americana. I understand the point of conversation but to me this is a complex piece that you either see the perspective or you don't. I like the shot with John better. Anyway, you asked for an example and that is one of the best for me ;-)
It is the best example of how perspective is created through illusion. Obviously, or maybe not so obviously, putting the small trees and small foliage pads in the back fools the mind into perceiving depth in a forest, where in reality you don't have a real a real forest or have any depth that is as significant as the illusion suggests at all. All of bonsai is an illusion and that is where the art enters in.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Forest bonsai are about "forced perspective" intended to create a feeling of depth where there isn't much.

As Vance said, smaller trees are at the back and sides because in a wider real life landscape, those "smaller trees" would be farther away from the viewer than the trees directly in front of the viewer --which appear larger.

This planting at the National Arb. is one of the best I've seen at fooling the eye into perceiving vast depth in a small space. It doesn't convey as well in the photo, but it does if you're standing in front of it. It's also big (which amplifies the forced perspective). Tallest tree is almost three feet.... The right side is supposed to look "closest" to the view. The left is supposed to be seen as a slope away from the viewer--the tiny tree in at the back whose base can't be seen is a nice touch that deepens the feeling of distance.
natarbjuniper.jpg

Top Bottom