Going to Gatlinburg, TN

jfecme

Seedling
Reaction score
Anyone know of any bonsai nurseries in this area? No mall-sai vendors, please!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Can't say that I know of any. Have you ever been to Gatlinburg? I have family in the area and have passed through Gatlinburg many times.

BONSAI_OUTLAW

Banned
Reaction score
Only place I know for sure would be Brussels, but that is on the other sde of the state. It is not that big of a state though. lol

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Resurrecting an old one here after a search. I am visiting Gatlinburg nest week with my family. Anything bonsai related in the area?

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here are a couple in the area. Call ahead to Tree Haven - Warren Hill has been ill and I don't know the status of the nursery. Seems I recall them selling some of their collection. It doesn't appear as though they have any classes scheduled.

Bjorvala Bonsai Nursery is a small backyard nursery run by Tom Bjorholm, Bjorn's father. I stopped by a couple of years ago and enjoyed the visit.

http://www.warrenhillbonsai.com/index.html
http://bjorvalabonsainursery.com

Scott

sikadelic

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I sent emails to all of those contacts to see if something is available in the area. I hope I can find something to catch a fix while I'm there!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Here are a couple in the area. Call ahead to Tree Haven - Warren Hill has been ill and I don't know the status of the nursery. Seems I recall them selling some of their collection. It doesn't appear as though they have any classes scheduled.

Bjorvala Bonsai Nursery is a small backyard nursery run by Tom Bjorholm, Bjorn's father. I stopped by a couple of years ago and enjoyed the visit.

http://www.warrenhillbonsai.com/index.html
http://bjorvalabonsainursery.com

Scott
Thanks, and who would have known. I saw several of the Bjorholm's trees at the Carolina Expo last October and that was worth the 4 hour drive all by themselves. Having the opportunity to visit their back yard would be great!

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
HTML:
I sent emails to all of those contacts to see if something is available in the area. I hope I can find something to catch a fix while I'm there!

Good luck - also, now that I think of it, Asheville NC is only a couple hours from Gatlinburg. The North Carolina Arbortetum has a bonsai exhibit that is well worth seeing.

Scott

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Thanks, and who would have known. I saw several of the Bjorholm's trees at the Carolina Expo last October and that was worth the 4 hour drive all by themselves. Having the opportunity to visit their back yard would be great!

He has a very nice setup and some great trees. At the time I visited they were starting to prepare for Bjorn's wedding which was held on their property. Tom is president of the Knoxville Bonsai Society - I think they hold club workshops at his facility. He spent a great deal of time with me patiently explaining the history and care of their trees. They have a wonderful yaupon holly I was interested in, but it was recovering from some difficulty so he was reluctant to part with it. I'll check on it next time I'm in Knoxville. A wonderful man and a great visit - I'd recommend the stop to anyone.

Scott

Top Bottom