Going to Ground

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
So I believe I'll have the opportunity to move my seedlings to the ground for beefing up... the problem is that these seedlings were all potted earlier this spring into cut down 1 gallon pots filled with DE and some a DE and pumice mix.

Here is how some of the pots looked

20190128_193243.jpg

Should I try to push the mesh out of the bottom drainage holes to allow the roots to run?

Should I try and just remove them really quickly and plant into the ground?

How much space should I allow between the trees in the ground?

I have about 20 seedlings they are trident and Japanese maples, JBP, and various oaks.

20190130_140324.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
That is a very small seedling. Maybe it would be better to leave them to grow in the pots for another year before planting out in the ground.
One problem with ground growing is weeds. Not sure about your patch but most areas weeds grow quick and can out compete small seedlings. When they are lost among weeds it can be difficult to remove weeds without pulling out your trees.
Put the pots on the ground and let the roots escape is probably a good plan. No need to push the mesh out of the way. The roots will do that when they need to.
I plant maples around 18" - 24" apart in the grow bed rows. Need to allow enough room to get a shovel between them later so you can dig them up. Wider spacing for larger trunks but I dig maples each year now so they can be spaced wider when they have grown a bit. Rows need to be further apart - 3-4' is good - to allow access for weeding and any maintenance during the growing season as well as room to dig when digging time comes.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
So you guys think I should leave them on the bench this year and maybe in winter bury/plant them?

To clear it up, my in ground planting would be a bed of potting soil, compost, and perlite. so I think it would be easy to spot any weeds sprouting up.

I just don't want to have to overwinter them all in a garage lol plus I'd like the bench space.....but if growing in the ground isn't going to help while they are in the container then what's the point right?

Dan92119

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I planted elm airlayers in pots in the ground. They went from 1/4 in to over an inch in a year but I didn’t know at the time I had to cut the roots often with a shovel. The roots were huge and pretty much destroyed the pots. It has set me back with the trees. It has been a learning experience.
If you plant in the ground watch you trees and think of what is happening to the roots!

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
my in ground planting would be a bed of potting soil, compost, and perlite. so I think it would be easy to spot any weeds sprouting up.
Weed free start is a good idea. You may be in an area where no seeds will come but in most areas, wind and stray animals bring seed. I'm in a rural area so weeds are a constant battle. It sounds easy to manage but can rapidly get difficult as weeds take hold. You may get a couple of years grace so maybe putting some littlies in would be OK.
When trying a new technique I try not to put all eggs in one basket. Why not try planting a few direct into the bed, leave some in pots and bury the pots half depth or more in the bed and keep a few on the bench just in case something does not work out. That will free up space, minimise the overwintering issue and let you get a feel for how it works.
Transplanting these now should do no harm as they still appear to be dormant.
After a second look at your last photo the lower trunk looks black? May be just the light but when maple bark turns black there is a problem. Please check and maybe a clearer photo.

Johnathan

Omono
Reaction score
Weed free start is a good idea. You may be in an area where no seeds will come but in most areas, wind and stray animals bring seed. I'm in a rural area so weeds are a constant battle. It sounds easy to manage but can rapidly get difficult as weeds take hold. You may get a couple of years grace so maybe putting some littlies in would be OK.
When trying a new technique I try not to put all eggs in one basket. Why not try planting a few direct into the bed, leave some in pots and bury the pots half depth or more in the bed and keep a few on the bench just in case something does not work out. That will free up space, minimise the overwintering issue and let you get a feel for how it works.
Transplanting these now should do no harm as they still appear to be dormant.
After a second look at your last photo the lower trunk looks black? May be just the light but when maple bark turns black there is a problem. Please check and maybe a clearer photo.
Good Idea. To allow proper spacing for 20 seedlings would be a good sized grow bed based on the info in other post. You and @sorce both said the same thing so I will probably do that.... a little in ground and a little still on the bench.

The black in the picture is vet wrap, they are no longer dormant. here is a few more recent shots.

Japanese Maple

20190417_194917.jpg

Trident Maples
20190417_195003.jpg

The tridents were doing HORRIBLE. I suppose they didn't like the Oklahoma wind combined with all the "air pruning " holes I put on the sides of the containers lol very overzealous for a seedling lol so I put them into this clear container and they have been responding nicely. Helps to cut down on wind and also help with humidity I think

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Now I see the wrap on those little trunks. Obviously to protect them while bending.

All the best with these and the wind.... and now the song keeps repeating through my mind:mad:

'Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping off the plains....'
repeating ad infinitum

Top Bottom