Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Guppies @Velodog2 , from the drain :)

Just found out from the neighbours, no water for the week. We don't wash yards, water flowers,
wash cars, wash clothes [ vinegar in the rinse ] with treated water ---------- rain water if needed.
Good Day
Anthony

Velodog2

Chumono
Reaction score
You’re right Anthony guppies are traditionally used for mosquitoes in tropical areas. I didn't check the op location but up north here goldfish are hardier, and cheaper.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As I am not collecting rainwater at the moment, but will do in the near future (I have never done that), question is:
How do you guys filter the water from leaves, dirt, etc? Screens inside the container or external ones?
I installed the gutterguards in the link below...absolute nessesity on my home.Hopefully takes care of most of the debree.Mesh even blocks roof sand.
http://www.gutterguard.com

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Or add aged compost [ holds 20 times it's weight in water ]:po_O:rolleyes:
to the soil mix.
I will be enjoying an organic mix,but with 50% perlite to grow out my future bonsai.Usually water once a day with that mix:cool:

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@cmeg1,

becareful , perlite does two things.

[1] Hold water [ if your organic already hold water, how much more do you need ?
Trees very thirsty types ? ]

[2] Breaks easily in use with roots ------- could compact.

Might try making your inorganic more durable.
Good Day
Anthony

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@cmeg1,

becareful , perlite does two things.

[1] Hold water [ if your organic already hold water, how much more do you need ?
Trees very thirsty types ? ]

[2] Breaks easily in use with roots ------- could compact.

Might try making your inorganic more durable.
Good Day
Anthony
Yea,I see what you mean.Probably repot annualy and I am letting grow wild to thicken the trunk,so I imagine they will be extremely greedy trees.......This is grow out.
Plus have a huge bag of grade4 perlite I need to use.:D

I am going to bring home a couple barrels tomorrow.To eventually have six barrels at 30 gal. Apiece.Seems good starting point for me.....I estimate roughly 5 gallons per day will be used....so hope it rains good.Will have about 35 8” bulb pans to water.
Can always add a couple more barrels......I get them free

A7A80AEF-825D-4319-B062-53B7CB32D478.jpeg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Worked on some rain barrels today.Just need to add the spigots and hoses come warm weather.And level them off better.
I have all the seals and diverters in place.Have a downspout on each side of the home.Went with 5 thirty gallon sealed drums for now,can easily add more later if needed.
This is going to be neat:D
Spring is gettin’ close,already some snowdrops sprouting in the yard.
28A49F80-0CEB-43C7-A61F-713213039C27.jpeg15C6527F-697F-4C0A-8B73-CCA470B4A87A.jpegB0BC257A-5569-439E-80B2-1F1AA06FEFCE.jpeg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Get them another block higher if you can, it will give you better water pressure.
Yea,that’s a good idea.If your going to do something do it right.Will do;)

****edit*****. Although I fear it is too late....already put holes in down spout for diverters and they need to be level or higher than drums.Oh well, they are supposed to be high flow spigots and will probably only use five gallons per day ,so I can deal.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Although I do have winter time plugs I can put in the holes if I do drill higher ones!
Will see how it goes.Probably should do it earlier than later.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I know...I always do this. It's slow out here. ;) H20 for everything, off the roof. 10.5 K gallons. View attachment 177825
That is lots of water!
I’m so excited for this!
Something tells me it’s really warm where you’re at.Now we’re approaching 50s and 40s anyway here in the northeast.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
That is lots of water!
I’m so excited for this!
Something tells me it’s really warm where you’re at.Now we’re approaching 50s and 40s anyway here in the northeast.
I wish! At 4k feet it's never hot. Been down to 39F and in the 40's most nights. A fire in the wood stove and wearing wool. But hey, I can grow maples!

Top Bottom