Going Vertical

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So due to garden size restraints and a remodel that is in progress in the backyard I've decided to try and go vertical with my bonsai storage and I wanted to see if anyone has done anything similar and get any input I can. What I plan to use is this rack here https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-7...-Deck-in-Black-ERZ782478W-4/202251082.....Its a huge husky shelving unit with adjustable shelving...My main concerns for this setup are wind and run off from top plants getting into lower plants....

For the wind I plan to put cement into 4 buckets and tie all 4 corners to these buckets and basically anchor it to the floor, and then probably use some type of garden wire to hold each tree to the shelves.

For the run off I'm debating using plastic on each shelf which wont help air circulation or just letting the water run through to the lower plants. I know part of the process that takes place when we water is removing built up salts in the pot and I don't think concentrating those to the lower pots will be good but maybe I'm over thinking it?

Also planning on buying a ton of spray able white plastidip and coating the whole thing to help reflect the heat and preserve the rack.

What do you guys think?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Plano makes plastic ones that wont rust.

I wouldn't worry about run off, it can help save water.

Get a tent stakes package and some thin rope, a 16ft ladder and go 3 high!

Sorce

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not a fan of wire and metal warehouse racks except as warehouse shelves. I think it a poor choice for outdoors. Nothing looks better than wood but the plastic shelves are a lot better than metal for outside. However the ones I have used do not have adjustable shelves and would only be suitable for smaller plants.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
big wheels are hypothetically everywhere
View attachment 251013

god i love TPB! haha fucking bubbles

Plano makes plastic ones that wont rust.

I wouldn't worry about run off, it can help save water.

Get a tent stakes package and some thin rope, a 16ft ladder and go 3 high!

Sorce

Lol my brother was like "are you going to get a rolling library ladder so your short self can get to your trees" ahahaha!

Not a fan of wire and metal warehouse racks except as warehouse shelves. I think it a poor choice for outdoors. Nothing looks better than wood but the plastic shelves are a lot better than metal for outside. However the ones I have used do not have adjustable shelves and would only be suitable for smaller plants.

true i am worried about rust but thats why i was thinking of the plastidip spray or maybe even using a white bedliner kit on it...What do you guys think effective or not?

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Rustoleum makes a high heat paint as spray or gallon that is very legit for preventing oxidation. It comes in more colors than black.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
High heat paints are not completely cured until they experience high heat, like firing the grill. I have used tons of this for high heat applications around kilns.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
High heat paints are not completely cured until they experience high heat, like firing the grill. I have used tons of this for high heat applications around kilns.
Good to know @penumbra thanks! I’ve used it on wrought iron field markers I’ve sprayed and cemented to rock and 3 years later in the elements still no rust.
However, I’ve also not physically handled them much (spray-apply) -if it doesn’t cure till high temp I imagine it would remain somewhat tacky or such....not ideal for pots and prolonged hands...
@Potsofgreen please heed the warning & apologies for potentially bad intel.
Good check penumbra

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good to know @penumbra thanks! I’ve used it on wrought iron field markers I’ve sprayed and cemented to rock and 3 years later in the elements still no rust.
However, I’ve also not physically handled them much (spray-apply) -if it doesn’t cure till high temp I imagine it would remain somewhat tacky or such....not ideal for pots and prolonged hands...
Good check penumbra
It will dry and is not tacky but if you rub it you will find it will come off if not heat treated. I have used various colored high heat paints on stands and control boxes for ceramic kilns.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Good check penumbra

no worries, any intel keeps the conversation going...I can get a white bedliner kit off someone on offer up over here for half the price it goes for normally however its a roll on kit so that kind of sucks, I doubt I can get a even coat with a roll on...however I just picked up a smaller heavy duty metal rack for my cacti today and I'm going to try the plastidip on that bad boy first and kind of gauge the big rack off that

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So I was going to go with the upgraded version of this husky shelf that is around 200$ but a lot of bad reviews especially with the powder coat chipping off almost immediately...so what I decided to do was build one!

Im fairly handy and construction is my background, so around $250 in materials and I’m right on my way, almost complete and I will post pictures when I am, it’s going to be 8ft tall x 8ft wide x 36 I inches deep, I’m including a built in bench for working and repotting

wood was all basic pine with coats of a diluted solution of tea tree and neem for bugs and fungus, I then did a vinegaroon stain(look it up) for a distressed weathered look and finished it off with 2 coats of low VOC plant and animal safe waterproofing ( probably will need to be re done each year), all Simpson galvanized hardware, exterior deck screws, and then stainless steel brad nails to hold down the slats...

Here it is now and some progress pictures up to it and I will post pictures of it completed when I’m done, hopefully this weekend F6CC7635-4441-4C4E-8434-19710DB9F737.jpeg83891C45-F61B-4683-96FC-84A79B83DE3B.jpegA77EA3E8-1808-421C-906B-4E4A2A0C9FED.jpeg5A939627-CB15-4633-A919-7F89375007BB.jpeg6CB8F3E9-7E41-46B3-AF9C-15BF49FA4068.jpegFCF617E9-F873-4FB4-A621-58ADA71CCC7B.jpeg10DD8E88-9FFD-44AC-8C3F-1C55920BDFCA.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
All done! Only took 8 months haha! I wasn’t working on it every weekend though, it was probably 5-6 weekends total of work that went into it...here’s some progression shots and of it fully complete, I have way to many trees! I’ll have to sell some soon or cycle some to other areas...

1BF08839-24E2-47E4-902E-891A8CF7EBF0.jpeg813D1E69-A6A8-4778-A63A-CC907752D7F7.jpegAE9B12CE-4828-42B8-94F3-7F87B9D15DAE.jpeg178D0988-A998-4959-ACBC-E5EAB134A2E6.jpeg59ABD385-1FDA-467F-BF20-E6A9764A8502.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
It’s all made from pine, with vinearoon stain and a low V.O.C pet and plant friendly waterproofer that will be re applied every couple years, Simpson hardware, epoxy coated deck screws and 304 stainless brads for the slats 😀

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Have you seen this???
This belongs to @maria kapra set up.
Stunning display in a vertical fashion.
View attachment 250979
The most amazing set up I have ever seen.
Ever seen? I mean it's up there for sure but there's definitely more potential for an ultimate bonsai setup.

this design is awesome! could definitely build it smaller...even on big wheels and and even two functional back-to-back
Here's one on wheels I saw on Facebook. A design like this except modify the edges to have a 1inch lip, so you can bottom water the whole bench by flooding it. Maybe add a pergola to the top with a retractable shade cloth of sorts since the Florida sun is too strong for half my plants.

Attachments

• 20200322_151609.jpg
    20200322_151609.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 61

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
All done! Only took 8 months haha! I wasn’t working on it every weekend though, it was probably 5-6 weekends total of work that went into it...here’s some progression shots and of it fully complete, I have way to many trees! I’ll have to sell some soon or cycle some to other areas...

View attachment 287519View attachment 287520View attachment 287521View attachment 287522View attachment 287523
Very nice. I like how the top level acts as a shelf and a shade source for the underside plants.

Top Bottom