Goji From Dried Fruit?

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Seeds definitely require heat to germinate
You caught my slip up there. What I meant to say was oranges require heat for the fruit to ripen. they flower all at once in the the spring and need heat for many months to produce an edible fruit. Where as lemons flower all through the year and you can harvest good fruit in January. I mean it, youtube that one. Some guy in canada grows meyer lemons outdoors year round and can pluck fruit in winter.
Key limes are vigorous with small leaves, or at least mine were. They keep them in stock pretty often at wegmans if you have those down there. They were the only citrus I'd consider for bonsai outside of bitter orange, which has bigger leaves

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Why Goji ?
For bonsai, garden plant or medicinal plant ?

If for bonsai, not a very good candidate in my opinion.

If for medicine, I prefer local honey+turmeric+cinnamon, two big spoons before having green tea+mint.

Then, oh, how I like it, coffee... (see: bialetti, the Italian coffe pot) Why don't you grow coffee ? Like, you would be a star at Central Perk ! 😄

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You caught my slip up there. What I meant to say was oranges require heat for the fruit to ripen. they flower all at once in the the spring and need heat for many months to produce an edible fruit. Where as lemons flower all through the year and you can harvest good fruit in January. I mean it, youtube that one. Some guy in canada grows meyer lemons outdoors year round and can pluck fruit in winter.
Key limes are vigorous with small leaves, or at least mine were. They keep them in stock pretty often at wegmans if you have those down there. They were the only citrus I'd consider for bonsai outside of bitter orange, which has bigger leaves
Ahh yeah my citrus are good examples of that. You'd think that when they're outside in the heat and humidity during the summer they'd flower/fruit, but my citrus make the most fruit in the winter. Currently have Persian limes and Meyer lemon blooming/with fruit in addition to the calamondin.

I have no idea what wegmens is 🙂 so unfortunately not.

Calamondin have small leaves and I believe they reduce somewhat, but from seed im going to select the 'most suitable for bonsai' from that batch. I think as they are, they could make great medium bonsai.

I also have a new kinzu but it is not doing well.

Reactions: GGB

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Why Goji ?
For bonsai, garden plant or medicinal plant ?

If for bonsai, not a very good candidate in my opinion.

If for medicine, I prefer local honey+turmeric+cinnamon, two big spoons before having green tea+mint.

Then, oh, how I like it, coffee... (see: bialetti, the Italian coffe pot) Why don't you grow coffee ? Like, you would be a star at Central Perk ! 😄

I've seen quite a few very nice goji bonsai here on bnut, but I haven't worked with them yet so I can't attest to it. But I think if you can grow a decent trunk on them it's worth it.

My dream would be to live on a tropical mountain side, overlooking and a short walk away from the ocean, growing mangoes or coffee for a living. So id love to grow coffee 😉 thanks for the tea routine, ive read a good amount of studies on the benefits of everything you listed (turmeric, etc) so I believe it

Top Bottom