Golden flakes inside root ball

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Today I was removing some moss from the roots on a JBP that's grafted. There's swamp like black dirt under the moss. So as I began removing the crud, I ran into a barrier or surrounding flakes the root ball had been dipped in.
Is it a fungicide?
Hard to get a good perspective in picture.
20230526_194817.jpg20230526_194855.jpg20230526_194918.jpg20230526_195151.jpg20230526_195047.jpg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tired of the tree, I'm getting it ready to sell, but it nerds to be planted deeper. The soil in the shin needs replacing. Would be easier to toss on the burn pile really. It drops branches every time I do anything to it.
I'm running our of branches now 5 years into this.

ShadyStump

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If it still has a significant amount of the original soil (whatever that is) in the root ball, it may just be flakes of iron pyrite in the soil. Fools gold if you're more familiar with that term. It's very common to find in many natural soil types, especially thick black humus.
It's harmless if such is the case. It's just an iron/silica mineral.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Vermiculite maybe? I'll take that corker. They grow well in my area and I love them to death. What variety is it?
I pulled a bit of weeds from it today including some Irish moss and mostly clover.
Vermiculite - I remember getting some ground peat basedxed with these golden flaked added in once when i was a kid. Just curious if it has anti fungal properties. What's in front of me
Looks to br sprinkled and or rolled in the
Vermiculite maybe? I'll take that corker. They grow well in my area and I love them to death. What variety is it?
Brocade from Brett Walston 2018in this mics pot still great drainage and taking water like a good boy. The black in the roots does not have my blessing.
The rearial roots do not have my blesding.
I removed blank under the moss and now what fungicide works on root rot if it's present?

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What variety is it?
Brocade.
I cut 2 branches after a year to reduce whorls, so it matched me and threw 2 more.
It's like a dog that hates its owner. I would have trimmed some needles off but it got Daconil today.
I reduced 2 branches that had 3 terminal shoots to 2 and peeked in the black roots some.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Scorpious

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Corkers are an interesting lot. Took me all of last year to green up a Hachi Gen I got from Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks. Currently has candles nearing five inches in spots. I plan on partially de-candling the strong areas here soon.

hampton

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Corkers are an interesting lot. Took me all of last year to green up a Hachi Gen I got from Brent at Evergreen Gardenworks. Currently has candles nearing five inches in spots. I plan on partially de-candling the strong areas here soon.
What ended up being the path to success? I’m in a similar boat, the corker I got late last year has a very pale color - it seems like it could be a deficiency but I haven’t investigated too deeply.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
What ended up being the path to success? I’m in a similar boat, the corker I got late last year has a very pale color - it seems like it could be a deficiency but I haven’t investigated too deeply.
I got it into very free draining substrate. I planted it in a mica pot that I drilled extra holes in the bottom. I tilted the pot to one side all last growing season and was extremely careful to not overwater as this seems to be a large mechanism to yellowing these guys out. I also heavily fertilized weekly.

Lots and lots of sunshine too.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Guess i was under the influence last night. Spell check errors weren't caught. Sorry.
This one is healthy, never yellowed and withstood the needlecast other trees got last year. It has been treaded nonetheless to prevent.
It just throws a temper tantrum when I remove a branch or cut back .20230527_144339.jpg20230527_144237.jpg

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
@Scorpius if you're heading E on I-64 this year you can have this for the cost of the tree and pot which together isn't too much. But if i put it on ebay it will start bid at $75. That won't happen till it's repotted, or during late Winter bc it doesn't feel super stable. Roots are pretty fine IIRC.

Top Bottom