Golden Gate Ficus Trouble

jeffnyc

Seed
Reaction score
Hello,

My bonsai is perpetually loosing leaves and growing smaller ones. The leaves are not turning yellow before they drop. I do not water the bonsai until it is close to dry. It looks like this year-round. Does anyone have any suggestions? A humidity tray? I have had these bonsai thrive in my terrariums, but this one is not doing well out in the open.

Attachments

• IMG_0954.jpeg
    IMG_0954.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 28

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
doesn’t look healthy for sure.
What kind of soil is it in?
I would lift it from the pot and have a look at the roots. Are they white or black?
More light and some bottom heat for this one.
Adding a seedling mat under the pot to keep the roots warm.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
It is likely an issue of water or light.

Water: does this pot have drainage holes in the bottom? It looks like it sits flush. If water isn't draining that could be a problem.

Light: what kind of light is this tree getting? Do you keep it inside year round? If possible you should get this tree good southern exposure while indoors, and put it outside in summer.

jeffnyc

Seed
Reaction score
It's in a miracle grow potting mix.
It sits within two feet of an unobstructed south-facing window.
The drainage isn't great, but I can change that.
I never let it completely dry out and use a moisture meter to check the soil moisture.

Thank you, I will check the roots and I think a cloche for over the top will definitely help... to keep the humidity high and keep the soil moisture more consistent.

doesn’t look healthy for sure.
What kind of soil is it in?
I would lift it from the pot and have a look at the roots. Are they white or black?
More light and some bottom heat for this one.
Adding a seedling mat under the pot to keep the roots warm.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would get it in to a free draining soil mix as quickly as possible and then add bottom heat.
The soil it is in likely is just holding too much water for too long.

jeffnyc

Seed
Reaction score
I would get it in to a free draining soil mix as quickly as possible and then add bottom heat.
The soil it is in likely is just holding too much water for too long.

Thank you!!!!

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
If they work well for you in a terrarium, and you don't water it until it's dry, what does that tell you? Tropicals respond to lower light levels and shorter days and "the dry season" in their home ranges. Hint, hint...

Robley6

Seedling
Reaction score
I never let it completely dry out and use a moisture meter to check the soil moisture.

Moisture meters don't work well in gritty bonsai soil. If your meter's effective, your soil doesn't drain well enough. Repot into well-draining soil.

It sits within two feet of an unobstructed south-facing window.

Light falls off significantly even two feet from a window. Get it as close as you can.

cockroach

Chumono
Reaction score
If its year round, slip pot into good soil, watch watering, add LIGHT!!!!! Don't move it around. Let it get established in an area before trying to change too much.
But yes, light. If the sun is not shining on it inside for a while then it will struggle without supplemented lighting.

Top Bottom