Golden State Bonsai Federation Convention 2009

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We had a great trip on Wednesday to the Yuha desert. The place has good potential for top suiseki and landscape stones. Now that I know the place, I will definitely make some more visits. I almost got a real good hut stone. Allmost but no cigar. I just need to get a portable GPS, since the place is huge.
Thanks Cindy, and I will send you the picture of the Sidewinder tonight (I will also post it here, as soon as I can download it). I almost stepped on the rattler, it is so camouflaged that you can look directly at it from a foot and not see it.

I agree, I was not that impressed two years ago in Anaheim with the stones that were brought back, but this year I saw bag upon bag of marvelous stones brought back from this place in the desert.

Al, you've got a good memory :) I'm surprised you remembered me from two years ago :)

I'm terrible with names...but I never forget a face. I did remember your though..but when you turned around you did have a "deer in the headlights" look.

Initial impressions on the show (though Thursday is an early day)...

(1) It felt small, though that is not always bad. I was expecting more vendors and a larger exhibition hall. On the good side, it felt like everyone there knew at least one other person at the show.

(2) The exhibition was limited to perhaps 20 trees, and they were all large. All trees were excellent, but I would have liked to have seen more trees and perhaps different categories of trees. Half the trees were California Junipers - again, excellent trees - but very few (if any) white pines, red pines, japanese maples, etc. The displays were (in my opinion) much too low. They are supposed to be high enough that eye level is the middle of the height of the tree. For some of the trees I had to get down on my knees to view them from the front.

(3) I think it was focused entirely on the hard-core bonsai enthusiast. I saw very few members of the general public. This is a shame, because I used to feel at the Midwest Bonsai Society show we would always end the show with at least 5 or 6 new bonsai enthusiasts who were interested in joining the club.

(4) Holding the workshops outside was excellent. Weather couldn't have been nicer.

In terms of square footage this year and the Convention in Modesto last year were both in convention centers and not in the lobby of the Hotel. We used most of both convention centers and the vendor rooms were very nice with a lot of room to get by in the aisles. Easily accessed right of the entrance to the convention center and well signed.

In your gallery you posted 18 trees yet only 5 of them are California junipers. Three compositions were Prostrata junipers with shipaku foliage grafted on and there were three elms, two oaks, a twisted pomagranite, a boxwood, two olives, atlas cedar, black pine and a manzinita. Pretty diverse mix of trees. I would have liked to see a few more diciduous trees in fall color. As far as the trees and the heights, the chairman for the exhibit was Ted Matson. In his travels over California he is privy to seeing many of the finest tree the state has to offer. It was his idea to showcase some of the best examples of the art from around the state. Two trees did not make the exibition. My tree, since I was coming home saturday night and the tree of Frank Bardella.

The trees were to be displayed on pedistals to give an art museum feel. Ted wished to break away from the lined up tables with crinkled white sheets draped behind trees. Many of the trees were far above table height and some were much lower. The ups and downs added variety and none of the monotany asscoiated with tabletop displays.

The GSBF convention is geared to hard core enthusiasts. Unlike a Midwest Bonsai Society, GSBF is not a club. It is a parent organization whose main focus is to help promote bonsai through it's collection of member clubs by offering the educational tools to achieve this. GSBF offers sponser ship for enthusiasts like Kathy Shaner, Boon Manikitivipart, Cheryl Manning, Ernie Kuo, and most recently Ryan Neil to achieve master statice by studying in Japan sponsered by GSBF. It also through it's Grants and Scholarship program, which I chair, offers education by way of financial support to work with a master on a local level. GSBF offers collections to look at as well as providing this reward convention each year. The convention is traditinally held in the first week of November each year to offer a relaxing end to a busy year of bonsai. It might be better to have it in the spring when trees look best, but attendance would suffer from people working and watering trees.

GSBF convention while open to the publc have never been advertised as open to the public. signage is kept to a minumum in the Hotel and you won't find GSBF on the marquee in the parking lot. This convention is for the clubs and it is their reward. It's member clubs are the ones responsible for attracting it's own members to the local club via it's own yearly exhibit mechanism. Its at this level that grass roots efforts must be made to attract new members.

I agree about the workshops outside. What a refreshing change of pace.

BTW...

I thought the redwood was the most impressive tree, technically, in the exhibition. An innovative, impressionistic design. I don't normally like redwood bonsai but that tree stopped me in my tracks.

I agree...Best tree in the exhibit

Last edited:

luft

Seed
Reaction score
I was there for a little while on Thursday (I'm lucky as I live really close by this year) and all day Saturday and Sunday. I really learned a lot, saw a few people that I had met before, met some new people, bought a few things, and generally had a blast! I'm relatively new to this whole experience and this is my first GSBF convention so I don't know how this year compares to other years, but I'm definitely saving up some money for next year! I am also thoroughly inspired to try some new things with my own trees.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And the margaritas down the street were really really tasty, Just ask Vic and Eric. Of course having good company flavors the experience. I'll stumble back "toasted" with them any time.

The layout of the exhibit room was so professionally considered. It was very classy. I really liked the inclusion of all of the fantastic stones in the display.

The stone related seminars were my focus. I was quite pleased with the diaza/stone display seminar with Al Nelson and the stone appreciation seminar with Larry Ragle. On Saturday I went on the excursion to Palm Desert. There were many great stones to be found.

Kathy Shaner's exhibit critique was very interesting and informative. There were so many pieces of wisdom that she shared that could be applied to our trees at home. I wish I had done it at the beginning of the weekend so that I could have pondered the exhibit trees the rest of convention. My roommate wants to attend two different critiques next year in order to compare perspectives. I might do that too.

Best of all was the companionship of the Fresno club. Meals were like eating with family. Every activity was shared with a member. I felt so "at home" in Riverside with all my friends. I was one of the lucky recipients of the Power of One scholarship. Without it I couldn't have afforded to attend. I sure appreciate our club and GSBF.

Here's to next year in Santa Rosa then back to Riverside in 2011. Seriously, the best margarita ever created is right there in Riverside.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The GSBF convention is geared to hard core enthusiasts. ...GSBF is not a club. It is a parent organization whose main focus is to help promote bonsai through it's collection of member clubs by offering the educational tools to achieve this.

So there is no blanket organization in California specifically dedicated toward expanding the awareness of and participation in bonsai?

I have always wondered, since the majority of bonsai enthusiasts do not belong to clubs. If GSBF is only focused on "hard core" club members, who is interested in the other 90%+?

It also gives rise to the question - why isn't there a regional bonsai show on the West Coast?

yenling83

Omono
Reaction score
Overall I had an amazing experience this year!

Exhibit: Yes there were a good amount of CA Junipers, but most were phenomenal. And where else are you going to see a twisted Pomegranate of that quality in the U.S.? Or how about a Manzanita in the world? It would have been nice to see some more diversity, but In my opinion the exhibit was much better than last year. I really liked the layout alot.

Last edited:

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So there is no blanket organization in California specifically dedicated toward expanding the awareness of and participation in bonsai?

I have always wondered, since the majority of bonsai enthusiasts do not belong to clubs. If GSBF is only focused on "hard core" club members, who is interested in the other 90%+?

It also gives rise to the question - why isn't there a regional bonsai show on the West Coast?

Al can give his perspective too but as I understand it GSBF is dedicated toward expanding awareness and education by supporting its member clubs outreach. Our Fresno club has an annual show at Shinzen Garden. It is part of a cultural festival. The majority of visitors have never seen real bonsai up close. The convention is top notch for enthusiasts but they also offer "bonsai basics" classes.

The GSBF maintains two very nice collections. One in Northern California and one at the Huntington Gardens. These are open to the public. It is the southern collection that turned me on to bonsai. I went to the Huntington to see the Galileo exibit in the museum. When I walked through the bonsai exhibit I was enthralled. I never looked back.

The GSBFannual Bonsaiathon is at the Huntington Gardens and at the Northern collection in Merritt Park, Oakland are accessable to many garden enthusiasts who might be considering trying a tree. February 27-28, 2010. These are great public events that also draw big names.

So yes, GSBF IS dedicated to expanding awareness in a serious way. The convention is one limb in a body whole.

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I cut and pasted the following info about GSBF from their web site. I love this organization.

The Golden State Bonsai Federation (GSBF) is a tax-exempt, educational organization which provides services and activities promoting the art of bonsai throughout California. Its Annual Convention gives "bonsai people" an opportunity to watch bonsai masters at work; to participate in hands-on workshops; to shop for plants, tools, pots, and materials at the bazaar; and to share in the friendly companionship of other bonsai enthusiasts.

Golden Statements, a publication of GSBFis printed six times each year with current bonsai articles and calendars of local club shows and events. The Bonsai Shopper is published every other year and gives the location of bonsai nurseries, sales outlets, names of teachers and demonstrators, and other pertinent data.

The GSBF Directory is mailed to every member club twice a year.

The Federation awards grants to assist member clubs, bonsai scholarships which are available to worthy individuals, also an internship program in which qualified students are given assistance to study with a bonsai master in Japan or elsewhere.

Workshops and demonstrations by visiting masters.

The Lending Library

permanent bonsai collections in northern and southern California

information on how to obtain reasonably priced liability insurance for your club

An Emergency Hot-Line, missing or stolen bonsai alert, and other emergencies.

Each of the five GSBF Districts is represented by two Trustees

Our Fresno club is helping GSBF develop an Advanced Directive form for individuals to include in their will. That way the bonsai artist can direct what will happen to their collection upon their death. It will be made available to all member clubs.

Just a bit about what GSBF is dedicated to.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

So far no one has stepped up to refinance their 75% paid off house to finance a West coast regional bonsai exhibit.

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Enjoyed meeting Al, Atilla, Joannie and others.

A few choice photos:
1. Olive from the back (better front, IMO).
2. Al, in his element.
3. Manzanita - Probably my favorite from the exhibit.
4. Chinese elm flanked by junipers.
5. Vic & Eric with the tree they later worked on with Dan in his demo.

Attachments

• Olive.jpg
    Olive.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Al.jpg
    Al.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 68
  • Manzanita.jpg
    Manzanita.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 62
  • CE.jpg
    CE.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 61
  • Vic&Eric.jpg
    Vic&Eric.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 77

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That tree in the last photo was completely different when they finished with it. Much better for sure.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Good photo's, looks like a great event.

The Midatlantic Bonsai Societies Spring Festival is about the same, an umbrella to many clubs, with most of the festival attendee's being from the member clubs. Although we go out of our way to make it accessable to anybody, with advertising and discounts for first timers. A lot of fun, and a lot of work.

Fun, educational, and VENDORS with all the goodies you may need or want.

Large too, we had Jim Barrett in for demo and lecture, he said it's hard to know everyone involved, they are from all over Cal..

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Will any pics of the tree after Vic, Eric and Dan got finished with it?
Irene

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm tossed as to what was more fun... meeting so many bonsai buddies for the first time... or getting to participate in my first major demo. Getting through that tree was no small task... especially in the time it took, which was amazingly short. It wasn't as refined as it would have been if we were at home... but it got done respectably.

I know one thing... I count the cost as cheap compared to the pleasure of the company I got to enjoy with people like Al, Barbara, Joanie, and Attila to name a few... It was truly a gathering of old friends.

I'll try and throw up some photos later myself.... :)

Victrinia

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Grouper52 in his element.

Will Hiltz

Attachments

• DSC_00400001.JPG
    DSC_00400001.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 44

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will any pics of the tree after Vic, Eric and Dan got finished with it?
Irene

Ask and it shall be given. The Full Monty, but not the super-finished HDR shot that will appear in the book - still I'd appreciate it if this photo was not circulated beyond this site. Thanks.

Yamadori - I wanted to meet you! Sorry I didn't recognize you at the time. I thought I would, but I didn't. :(

Attachments

• Dan'sTreeBNut.jpg
    Dan'sTreeBNut.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 68
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Great photo Doc... Sadly all my photos are at Diane and Daniel's house... so mine have to wait until Friday. :eek:(

Yamadori

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yamadori - I wanted to meet you! Sorry I didn't recognize you at the time. I thought I would, but I didn't. :(
Al meant to introduce us, but alas we will have to meet another time. I know I saw you after looking at your picture. I remember smiling at you.

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Ask and it shall be given. The Full Monty, but not the super-finished HDR shot that will appear in the book - still I'd appreciate it if this photo was not circulated beyond this site. Thanks.

Thanks Will!! Now that is going to be a sweet tree!

Hans Vleugels

Yamadori
Reaction score
Very nice exhibit. My compliments to the GSBF...

When I was looking at the pictures, I saw a striking tree that drew my attention because of the beautiful movement and dead wood. But I didn't found a complete picture of this tree. Can anyone tell me more about this tree? Has anyone a good picture of this tree?

Thanks in advance, Hans

Attachments

• CE.jpg
    CE.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 36
Top Bottom