Golden State Bonsai Federation Convention 2009

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Hans, I have an old picture of this tree from a few years ago when its apex wasn't as well developed. I could not take a picture of it at this convention because it was too back-lighted and was too crowded behind other trees and people. Maybe somebody will submit a better picture of it later. This tree looks so much better in person, as are most of the other trees in this exhibit. It has great curves and depth which are difficult to capture on this photograph.
This tree is a California juniper which is owned by David Nguy, a local bonsai artist here in Southern California. I think he did some training with Kimura in Japan recently too, but he was actually already quite good before that.
Good day!
SI

Attachments

• David Nguy's Cali juniper.jpg
    David Nguy's Cali juniper.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 55

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I could not take a picture of it at this convention because it was too back-lighted and was too crowded behind other trees and people.

Thanks for adding this Si. This was one of the trees that I too could not photograph at the show. At best you see it in the rear of some of my shots. I was able to get close and admire it, but could not photograph it.

greerhw

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Hans, I have an old picture of this tree from a few years ago when its apex wasn't as well developed. I could not take a picture of it at this convention because it was too back-lighted and was too crowded behind other trees and people. Maybe somebody will submit a better picture of it later. This tree looks so much better in person, as are most of the other trees in this exhibit. It has great curves and depth which are difficult to capture on this photograph.
This tree is a California juniper which is owned by David Nguy, a local bonsai artist here in Southern California. I think he did some training with Kimura in Japan recently too, but he was actually already quite good before that.
Good day!
SI

Tell him if he's a struggling artist, to send the tree to your buddy in Oklahoma and start on something else, kind of like a painting, now that he's finished, he will be challenged to start another project......;)

keep it green,
Harry

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This be the one?

Attachments

• DSC_01910001.JPG
    DSC_01910001.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 38

grouper52

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Al meant to introduce us, but alas we will have to meet another time. I know I saw you after looking at your picture. I remember smiling at you.

Yes we semi-met. I was with Vic and Eric at the time, but didn't recognize you from your old avatar. We'll probably meet again.

Will

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good day!
SI
I'm lucky enough to have a chance to examine this tree in very close distance since it belongs to my teacher :) Originally its apex was in the end of the long trunk, then Mr. Nguy separated the live vein from the the deadwood, then its apex was brought down backward and then forward as it is now. I really like this tree because its trunk line looks like my motherland shape-Vietnam (S shape). Below is its picture was taken at Naipu- Kai on 8/23/2009.

Attachments

• DSC_1268.jpg
    DSC_1268.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_1270.jpg
    DSC_1270.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 20
  • DSC_1271.jpg
    DSC_1271.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 17

Hans Vleugels

Yamadori
Reaction score
Al & Si, thanks for adding these pitures...

I think it is a very interesting tree with great movement and elegancy. Maybe the foliage is a bit too dense now, but nevertheless a tree with great potential. Wish I could see IRL...

Thanks,
Hans

Top Bottom