Golden State Bonsai Federation (GSBF) convention 2017 pictures

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I felt fortunate to get to see the show this morning before it closed. I was in Hollywood for work and made the trip down, and it didn't disappoint!

I picked up a sweet container by Vicky Chamberlain of Oregon. If you haven't see her work you should check out her website, great stuff!

Also, I chatted with Nathan Simmons, nice to put a face with a name there.

Ans, thanks to Dung of SoCal Bonsai Supply for the soil hook up and the ride to the show...

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice show, thanks for taking the time to post the photos! Some really interesting trees. The twin trunk chinese elm from the GSBF collection really caught my eye - very beautiful tree by itself but that huge accent piece ruins the illusion and makes the tree look much smaller. Similarly with the one you labeled "I can not remember this is cedar, cypress or foemina juniper!", tree looks nice but that pot overwhelms the tree. The satsuki azalea (Luis Camerota) has a really nice natural tree shape.

Your new tamarix is very cool looking, please keep us posted as you work on it!
I agree with your observation Coh.
Thank you. I absolutely will update this tamarix here.
Bonhe

AlainK

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Thanks Bonhe, great pictures, different trees and styles, wish I were there ;)

Really enjoyed watching the slides.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Some great stands!

Thanks Bonhe!

Sorce

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Wonderful photos, and looks like you guys have some interesting new material to work on. I have only seen a couple attempts at manzanita, it would be gorgeous if you can get it to go. Dan R. has some he's playing with, I don't think any of them were in actual bonsai pots yet the last time I was there.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wonderful photos, and looks like you guys have some interesting new material to work on. I have only seen a couple attempts at manzanita, it would be gorgeous if you can get it to go. Dan R. has some he's playing with, I don't think any of them were in actual bonsai pots yet the last time I was there.

I have recently discovered Tree of Life Nursery. They have 24 different manzanita varieties in stock. I picked up two in 5 gallon pots. I hope to learn something about them before tackling common manzanita collection from the wild.

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
I have recently discovered Tree of Life Nursery. They have 24 different manzanita varieties in stock. I picked up two in 5 gallon pots. I hope to learn something about them before tackling common manzanita collection from the wild.
Any pictures? Manzanita are such great looking trees. It was only that one dude what was in a GSBF article that had success collecting them and using them for bonsai. Can't remember his name..

ianb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Only one I ever saw as bonsai was at the 2009 GSBF and it seemed to be in decline...the one I got is very much smaller it's barely worth mentioning, I'll try to take a pic tomorrow.P1012148.JPG

justBonsai

Omono
Reaction score
Only one I ever saw as bonsai was at the 2009 GSBF and it seemed to be in decline...the one I got is very much smaller it's barely worth mentioning, I'll try to take a pic tomorrow.View attachment 166927
Damn, hope that tree made it. Manzanitas are just such beautiful trees.

I haven't heard of any reports of long term survival in pot cultivation. I know @Arcto has been messing with these.

Here's my favorite shot of manzanita I took:

20170527_113622.jpg

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
The gentleman who wrote the article in the GSBF newsletter is Greg Brennen. He is pretty active in the Portland club although I don't believe he is posting here right now. Greg has done pioneering work with Manzanita as well as other species. He has some unusual stuff in his collection. I enjoy seeing people like that doing self discovery of new material.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For what it's worth, manzanita is everywhere around here. I wouldn't be surprised if someone told me it is the single most common naturally-occurring plant in Southern California mountains. I regularly see trees that would be amazing bonsai... but until I am a little more familiar with their care I'll just enjoy the ones in the wild visually.

I assume that manzanitas in the Pacific NW may require different care than mazanita in the Southern California mountains... but I don't know.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello Bonhe!
OMG Wilson. You remember to ask me this!
I got this ready show tamarix. It has a very impressive history to which I will tell the story later on. I am feeling very lucky to acquire it. I believe in destiny!
View attachment 165453
Bonhe
I have a question, if you please...
In the above photo do I discern branches which seem like they were two separate branches brought together and got fused? Am I correct?
I see you did this (using wire) in the other thread of yours post #590

May we also enjoy the story you had promised to share? :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I attended that show as well. A lot of nice trees. Wish they had more of a variety though. I don't think they had many native oaks.

I picked up a black pine on the 2nd day. Most of the good material was taken, but she's pretty.

Attachments

• 1526696001513-621992723.jpg
    1526696001513-621992723.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 9

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
The gentleman who wrote the article in the GSBF newsletter is Greg Brennen. He is pretty active in the Portland club although I don't believe he is posting here right now. Greg has done pioneering work with Manzanita as well as other species. He has some unusual stuff in his collection. I enjoy seeing people like that doing self discovery of new material.
Greg Brenden. He posts on FaceBook almost every day. Was on the old IBC in AZ.

Shima

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11A
Only one I ever saw as bonsai was at the 2009 GSBF and it seemed to be in decline...the one I got is very much smaller it's barely worth mentioning, I'll try to take a pic tomorrow.View attachment 166927
Now THAT'S a Manzanita! Best example I've ever seen in a pot by a mile! I've written about them 'till I'm blue in the face. Why isn't someone trying ground or air-layers? Damn how I miss them!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
my nellie, post: 562510, member: 11707"]
In the above photo do I discern branches which seem like they were two separate branches brought together and got fused? Am I correct?
Hi My Nellie. No, you are not correct. This is a sign of natural death of one branch with the vein led to that branch.

May we also enjoy the story you had promised to share?
:)
My teacher put that tamarix into the Nanpu kai bonsai show on 8/23/2009. Nanpu kai club is one of most prestigious bonsai clubs in California and Mr. John Naka is its father.
DSC_1235.jpg

Few years later, the tree was pushed down to the ground from its bench due to heavy wind. That pot was completely broken and some of its branches were gone, too. It was placed into the current since.
Bonhe

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for sharing @bonhe
What species is this Tamarix may I ask.
The "leaves"/branchlets look considerably shorter compared to T. gallica which I have. Or are they cut?

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for sharing @bonhe
What species is this Tamarix may I ask.
The "leaves"/branchlets look considerably shorter compared to T. gallica which I have. Or are they cut?
You are welcome.
Sorry, I don't know what species it is, but I know it was originally collected from Southern California desert.
Yes, these leaves should be cut to make it short.
Bonhe

Top Bottom