Gollum jade (shreks ear)

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
So a buddy of mine has this monster of a gollum in his yard. He did some work around the yard and knocked off a big branch and tossed it in a 4” pot. It grew as they always do and he gave it to me. It was a bit soggy and in poor succulent soil…just dirt. Just for giggles I put it in a 1x6” pot and reduced the roots to fit. Anchored it down and put it out in the sunshine. Too small you think? I have a 2x6” laying around just wanted to see if it might do ok in this. I’m not attached to the plant, but don’t wanna kill it either. Any thoughts? I’m in LA by the coast. Thanks image.jpg

Colorado

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
These make better bonsai, in my opinion, than the standard crassula ovata. However, still a very challenging species for bonsai because they are so slow growing and because of the large leaves. I think that this species is better suited for larger bonsai.

However, they have a few redeeming qualities. Extremely drought tolerant. Bad buds pretty well. Pretty easy to care for overall.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
I grew a few cuttings of these , I like them cos theyre different! Got any photos of the monster of a Gollum in his yard??

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A quick shot of one I am developing. It is probably about 18 inches tall and a bit wider. It has birthed at least 40 plants from cuttings.
IMG_6665.JPGIMG_6666.JPG

Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I like the first pot too. I'm in LA as well, have a few succulents growing in very shallow pots. Just make sure you don't overwater and it'll be perfectly happy in either of those

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’m having a ton of fun with gollum jade up here in Wisconsin. My favorite thing about them is how easy it is to style and develop new trees from cuttings. Letting them dehydrate while the cuttings callus gives me a great opportunity to give them big bends and interesting structure.
Here are two of the mother trees that got a big haircut this year (but they haven’t been wired or styled yet):

20405135-CB18-4AE9-BF34-5BF22D3E49B2.jpeg EB25384A-B96B-46C4-B811-9AF3F285B67E.jpeg

And here are two of the cuttings that I wired and bent up before rooting:

E3EF527E-03E4-4F75-AE51-86B78002741B.jpeg6C21DF3C-F0BF-499B-91FE-0AE9AE217177.jpeg

StPaddy

Mame
Reaction score
I grew a few cuttings of these , I like them cos theyre different! Got any photos of the monster of a Gollum in his yard??
Next time I get by there will snap a couple :)

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The thing about jades is their root systems dont grow like trees. They have a pretty poor root system, this is why they are so prone to overwatering. Ive seen enormous jades in tiny pots and they seem quite happy 😋

Top Bottom