Gone Overboard

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Found my way down to Dragon Bonsai again today. This time I was in a Honda Van. I promissed myself on the way that I would only buy 3... well, how bad can it be if I only promissed myself? I came away with four: another Shimpaku, Japanese Black Pine, Chinese Elm and a Carissa macrocarpa (Natal Plum). I'll try to post pictures later. This time I even took pictures of the nursery. I'll have to download them from my camera so I can post them.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Now that's funny.

But the fact it's a Honda.....

And a Van.....

That is way funnier!

Just playing Robert E Holt.

I hope we get to see em soon!

I'm setting you and Metalgrootvader up for a chitty chat with the old psycho ward!

Chitty being latch one. Chat latch 2.

Of your new shiny white jackets!

Sorce

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I ment to load them last night, but our hotel room A/C broke and the manager introduced me to Jack last night while they fixed it. By the time Mr. Daniels and I got done with our visit I just didn't want to mess with the computer.

Another one of those restraint issues :confused:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I ment to load them last night, but our hotel room A/C broke and the manager introduced me to Jack last night while they fixed it. By the time Mr. Daniels and I got done with our visit I just didn't want to mess with the computer.

Another one of those restraint issues :confused:

Just don't jump in the Honda!

Got YOU a JACK pine!

Sorce

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
As promissed, here are some pictures of the new additions.

Japanese Black Pine
201511087089EOS 40D.JPG 201511087088EOS 40D.JPG 201511087091EOS 40D.JPG

I tried to pick one with branches down low to give myself more option as I figure out how to style and care for JBP

Last edited:

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Excuse the picture, they are taken in my hotel room. I didn't have much to work with. Comments and suggestions welcome

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks! I may be looking for some help with a couple of these. I understand now is the time of year to be doing some styling on the JBP? I listened close to Rodney Clemens at our seminar a couple of weeks ago, but now that I have a JBP I'm not sure I know enough to feel confident.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks! I may be looking for some help with a couple of these. I understand now is the time of year to be doing some styling on the JBP? I listened close to Rodney Clemens at our seminar a couple of weeks ago, but now that I have a JBP I'm not sure I know enough to feel confident.
Not a bad time of year to work on JBP, but might not be the right time to work on THIS one... I'd probably recommend letting it grow for a while first. Maybe do some branch selection if you want, then let it grow a while. Get a bigger trunk on it.. Put it in the ground and let a sacrifice branch run... Need it to get a good bit thicker before you think of end styling and if you leave it in that little plastic pot, it won't grow much. Looks severely root bound to me- would probably love to stretch it's roots out some and grow free for a while.

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good point, I was wondering about styling it now anyway. My thought was, since it was grown in South Florida, I might need to let it acclimated to the North Alabama climate for a year. I am wondering if I need to give it a bit of extra protection from the cold this year? The only real work I was thinking of doing this year was to remove old needles in order to improve it's vigor. Can I repot it this time of year? Maybe put it into a colander or a.grow box? I was thinking I would need to wait till spring for that.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Good point, I was wondering about styling it now anyway. My thought was, since it was grown in South Florida, I might need to let it acclimated to the North Alabama climate for a year. I am wondering if I need to give it a bit of extra protection from the cold this year? The only real work I was thinking of doing this year was to remove old needles in order to improve it's vigor. Can I repot it this time of year? Maybe put it into a colander or a.grow box? I was thinking I would need to wait till spring for that.
If you are just slipping it into a new pot/ grow bed/ box... without doing much to the roots, it should be fine. I wouldn't do it much later than this- even a simple "slip pot"- but moving a tree up to a larger pot without prunning the roots is not terribly stressful usually. The thing to be carefully of is- if you put it in a soil that is drastically different from the soil it is in, the roots may not take in the new soil which can cause a whole other set of problems down the road... And, If it is really pot-bound... You might want to wait until Spring when you can feel a little better about working into the root ball some, loosening it up to get new dirt and air to penetrate it... Your call of course!

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
What about removing the old (2 year old Needles? Is that something good to do this year?

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
What about removing the old (2 year old Needles? Is that something good to do this year?
You can take out yellow needles, but be sure to avoid making it look like a poodle; a sparse interior with all the growth out on the tips. The oldest needles can contain buds you'll want to activate and get growing as branches proximal to the trunk. If you remove those needles, the likelihood of bud break there is gone too. This article may be useful as you look at your pine and are contemplating what needs to be done:
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2012/11/10/fall-work-on-a-black-pine/

Robert E Holt

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You can take out yellow needles, but be sure to avoid making it look like a poodle; a sparse interior with all the growth out on the tips. The oldest needles can contain buds you'll want to activate and get growing as branches proximal to the trunk. If you remove those needles, the likelihood of bud break there is gone too. This article may be useful as you look at your pine and are contemplating what needs to be done:
https://nebaribonsai.wordpress.com/2012/11/10/fall-work-on-a-black-pine/

Thanks Brian, I'll be sure and take a look.

Top Bottom