Gone with the Wind

Zournathan

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Hello,
I was watching the weather reports for Tropical Storm Alex this morning, which is supposed to strengthen into a Hurricane before making landfall far south of my area, and I got to wondering about what I would do with my bonsai if it swung north and I had to evacuate again (like with Ike). At that time I didn't have any trees to worry about but now I'd be quite concerned about them. I suppose I would put them in the garage, but that would mean close to a week with no sun (i could probably rig up something to keep them damp). Is there anyone else on the forum who has dealt with this? I'd love to hear about other peoples disaster plans too :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I went through Hurricane Isabel with all my trees. Isabel was a bit of a wimpish storm (with top winds of only 80 mph in my area after landfall), but still wasn't a picnic.

My trees were taken off their stands and placed on the ground in my fenced backyard. Since my trees mostly are large (over 10 lbs each, some over 100), the wind didn't pick them up and throw them. Moisture wasn't an issue (15 inches of rain). Flooding wasn't for me, since I live on a hill...but this is highly localized.

Top Bottom