Good Bonsai Nurseries/Shops In Salt Lake City

Boise_Guy

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Anyone got a nursery or shop in SLC they might recommend? I'm in town for just a bit longer and seems there are a lot of choices and not much time! I visit SLC occasionally from Boise and would love to check out a Bonsai nursery/shop in a bigger city than I can back home.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wish I could help. I have some family in the slc area that I sometimes visit, and I was hoping someone would chime in with a recommendation. I haven't encountered a proper bonsai nursery there yet.

I do know that there are quite a few tree farms/nurseries out that way, so it might be worth a google if your interested in raw stock. You could also check with "The Bonsai Club of Utah."

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nada. There used to be Ben's House of Bonsai, but he's been gone for a long time. You want to start one :)? You can find stuff at Cactus and Tropicals, but they're your typical ficus, chinese elm, fukien tea sorts of trees.

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
One more thought (or two). I have found seiju and jacqueline hillier elms at Glover Nursery for reasonable prices. They weren't grown for bonsai, but there were a couple that were usable. I've found japanese black pine at Cactus and Tropicals in the past, and once there was even a kotobuki. But they aren't plants that are normally stocked. I'm going to crawl through Millcreek Gardens this afternoon to see what they have. But unfortunately, nothing bonsai specific. There isn't a large enough community here to support it. But there are some really great trees in private collections. One of our club members had two trees in the Artisans Cup over the weekend.

Reaction score
You could try Paradise Palm downtown SLC but don’t expect a ton of help on much. I know one person there definitely didn’t feel like talking plants at all last time I was there.

However they do have actual bonsai plants here and some basic knowledge and supplies in a pinch last time I checked.

Top Bottom