good books

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Who can recommend some good bonsai books. I'd really like one on maples. I am amassing a pretty good collection of useless bonsai books. I have picked some real loosers. My latest was from The American Bonsai society: "Native North American Plants For Bonsai" It contains a brief paragraph each on about 1000 trees. The same basic info you would see if you googled that plant, really no bonsai related info whatsoever. I've got a bunch of other so called books I got of amazon that are really just something that could have been written on a short two or three page document, spaced out in block letters to create a booklet in broken English.
I really need to quit buying any unless they come recommended. I am fairly new into bonsai but enjoy reading and learning.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
There are several older threads worth searching -- have a look, seems to me there were books on maples mentioned. Good luck & enjoy!

crab apple

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I must be using the search function incorrectly, I don't have much luck with it.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The very best recent book on maples is “Bonsai Maples" by Andrea Meriggioli. Hands down,

The upside is you will not need another book on maples. The downside is it’s pricey. I got lucky and bought it out of England for 120 and change.

cheers
DSD sends

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Since it's really pretty difficult to teach all the nuance of bonsai in book form, my favorite ones tend to be books that show progressions of trees from younger stock to nicer trees, along with the decisions made along the way. Harry Harrington's - Inspirations, Joyce's The Art of Natural Bonsai, Treasure's - Bonsai Life Histories. Some are a little dated, but they show how the trees react to the work and change over time. There isn't much detail on wiring, soil, fertilizers, or the nuts and bolts of bonsai though.

My favorite on styling is Prinicples of Bonsai Design by DeGroot.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

BonsaiDTLA

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
+1 for “Bonsai Maples" by Andrea Meriggioli

You can contact him on Fb and he'll sign and ship your book to you.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Here is the link to the book on the author's own site -> http://hiryuen.com/negozio/en/82-english

It is currently listed as out of stock however. '@crab apple' might want to inquire if/when it will be restocked. It is a very good book.

I think I bought mine by messaging him on Facebook

agreed that that book seems like a must-have it’s going to keep me busy for awhile

Apex37

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The very best recent book on maples is “Bonsai Maples" by Andrea Meriggioli. Hands down,

The upside is you will not need another book on maples. The downside is it’s pricey. I got lucky and bought it out of England for 120 and change.

cheers
DSD sends
I wish I could find it here, I really have heard great things about this book.

Edit: I'm seeing above! Ignore me.

Top Bottom