Good for Hokidachi?

Mister Ed

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've got this small tree growing along the ditch line that I'm thinking might work for a Hokidachi bonsai with a little coaxing. I was thinking about chopping all the branches back and air layering the trunk below the branches. I would think, within a couple off months, I would then be able to remove this and pot it where it can be allowed to grow more before starting to train it down the road. Below are a couple of pictures of the tree in question. Does this look like a Broom style candidate to anyone else besides me?

20150308_154849.jpg

20150308_154858.jpg

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It looks like a broom already, complete with severe reverse taper at the whorl of branches. I doubt that a tree as thick as that is would be a good candidate for an air layer, even if it did eventually put out roots it would never be in a "couple of months".

ed

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How large is it? Hard to tell from the photos.

Judging by the phone junction box in the background it would have to be about 8 inches across and maybe 4 feet or so to the whorl of branches.

ed

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I bet if you were to cut a piece of this, it would give you the same output .

Therefore, I'd take a smaller airlayer and chop it after a couple years, then you can properly bind the new whorl into a broom!

Sorce

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would maybe air layer 1 branch, not the whole thing!

Mister Ed

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks can be deceiving. The photos are closeups taken with a phone camera. The trunk is right at 3" in diameter and the branches about thumb sized. There's less than a foot of trunk showing in the photos. The whorl is a little lower then eye height when standing next to the tree.

Mister Ed

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here are a couple more pictures. The trunk is actually about 2-1/2" in diameter. But, looking at it further, almost every branch could be air layered for a broom style bonsai and probably with better results.

20150309_123146.jpg

20150309_123307.jpg

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I should think someone would ask what is it? And is it even suitable for bonsai.

Top Bottom