good material for windswept azalea?

kuya

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
hello, i currently have this twin trunk satsuki azalea and am thinking about possibly doing this (over the course of the next few years):
1. split the two trunks into two separate trees
2. style the slanted one into a windswept azalea

hoping to get some second opinions or any feedback on it so far. thanks so much!

Attachments

• mYungKq.mp4
    9.8 MB

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think so.

Welcome to Crazy!

Generally I think one can get away with designing a tree as it would be outside it's natural environment to some degree of success.
However, because the reason to show an azalea is for the flower display, a "windswept" one will always just look like half of any other tree, which would make me wonder if it would even be accepted into a show, which doesn't matter except for the measure of that against what type of joy we may get from the tree ourselves, being that we are just as human as the show goers. Of course, we have an applicable amount of appreciation for our own creations, but getting stuck in that is akin to "doing bonsai the same wrong way for 40 years".

So you'd be back to making a convincing windswept tree with just the foilage. That would be rather more difficult and boring than using almost any other species.

I say, make the flower show show.

And make a windswept tree out of an elm.

Sorce

kuya

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
The leaves are damaged.

think it might be from when i went on a short trip recently and forgot to tell my family to put it in shade 😥 hopefully it recovers

I don't think so.

Welcome to Crazy!

Generally I think one can get away with designing a tree as it would be outside it's natural environment to some degree of success.
However, because the reason to show an azalea is for the flower display, a "windswept" one will always just look like half of any other tree, which would make me wonder if it would even be accepted into a show, which doesn't matter except for the measure of that against what type of joy we may get from the tree ourselves, being that we are just as human as the show goers. Of course, we have an applicable amount of appreciation for our own creations, but getting stuck in that is akin to "doing bonsai the same wrong way for 40 years".

So you'd be back to making a convincing windswept tree with just the foilage. That would be rather more difficult and boring than using almost any other species.

I say, make the flower show show.

And make a windswept tree out of an elm.

Sorce

very good point, appreciate it a ton!

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Windswept is a very difficult style to pull off convincingly.
Usually they look very contrived and unnatural when trying to force a tree that isnt already naturally shaped into a windswept style.

If it is truly two separate trees that can be separated, you could try that.
If not then I would try to work with what you have and develop it as is and learn from that.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Can you explain the reason why you planted the azalea into a pond basket.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to the site! Pond baskets are generally used to prune roots that grow on most variety of trees. Azaleas and a few others have a fibrous root system and will not benefit. They will only dry out faster, which you probably do not want. I think azalea could make a nice windswept tree, you may just need to plan a little larger to make convincing. I hope they recover.

I watch your video again, you can probably split them with no problem. And they will both likely survive

kuya

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Welcome to the site! Pond baskets are generally used to prune roots that grow on most variety of trees. Azaleas and a few others have a fibrous root system and will not benefit. They will only dry out faster, which you probably do not want. I think azalea could make a nice windswept tree, you may just need to plan a little larger to make convincing. I hope they recover.

I watch your video again, you can probably split them with no problem. And they will both likely survive

ahh this is all super helpful, thanks for letting me know!

Top Bottom