Good Material? or Bad???

Good Material, or Bad?

• Good, Hell yeah I dig It! You can definitely do something with that!

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • Bad... Like in thats Crap! Go buy some better Material and Stop Wasting your time!

Votes: 7 26.9%

• Total voters
Reaction score
pro1.jpg

pro2.jpg

pro3.jpg

pro4.jpg

pro5.jpg

pro6.jpg

So, one of my friends came by today with a Procumbens Juniper... That had been staked to grow tall at some point. He had bought it quite a few years ago and had it in a big pot ceramic, that just broke... So hence the trash bag. Whats up with all the trash bag trees that seem to be making their way to my house, I don't know? But, this is how he brought it over... And after all the years it is still in nursery soil.

When the tree showed, up half of it was dead... But had obviously died quite a while back, perhaps from to deep of a pot and staying to wet? Who knows... but, seems since a good portion had died off, my friend had started neglecting it... which in all actuality is probably for the best, seeing I think he was watering too much before... and him neglecting it probably saved the tree.

Now he asked me if I wanted to buy it off him... I told him let me clean out all of what is dead, and I will let him know... So, I have removed all that is dead, and decided I would take some photos and ask everyone here what they thought, seeing that often we see these posts all the time by people starting off of material they find at a nursery.

Specs of the tree are that it has a telephone pole for a trunk, not really much of a taper... has 2 lower really thick branches, and a ton of wispy branches in between, is 100 percent juvenile foliage. Height is 28 inches tall, Width 30 inches wide, and it has a 2 inch trunk.

So, my questions are, would you consider this Good Material?
Would you Buy it?
And if so... what would you do with it? Does anyone see a tree in there?
To heavy of a trunk to really do a major bend... So, would you Chop it? or leave it the length it is? Jin the top? Add a shari?

Not interested in what I can do with it... already know where I would go with it... If i was to buy it, of which i have not decided. Interested in where you would go. Lets see the difference of views!

Oh, and just for fun... I will add a poll as well, for those who prefer to linger instead. Even though I can probably guess the results!
Thanks in Advance!

Last edited:

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The trunk has good size and good low movement... Could probably make a decent tree. Not epic material, but for Bonsai it has interest.

Oh, the direction: I'd Jin a Whole bunch a stuff, shorten it and make a smaller tree with lots of dead wood...

OR..

You could also leave it tall, get all the branches wired down and make one of those high altitude looking uprights with sparse foliage and a dead top.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Would I buy it? No.
Do I think something can be made of it? Yes.
My biggest concern would be the lack of taper on the trunk. At first glance, I would try to make a convincing lightning-struck tree, with deadwood at the top and long sweeping branches at the bottom - keeping some deadwood sweeping branches as well.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I would keep it and leave it tall. What I see is is one of those trees that's half dead from a forest fire. All the foliage is on one side and only goes about two thirds up the trunk. The rest is jinned with charred branches and trunk.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
From the pictures, it has a bit of a spruce feeling to it.
Will it make a masterpiece? Not likely.
But I don't think it's crap either

Reaction score
What is he asking? Can't answer your question without a number.

I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it

I am asking, because people seem to ask this all the time. There are numerous threads posted every other week doing the very same thing. This was stated in the original post at the opening of the thread.

As far as a number... this was not yet duscussed. As I mentioned the seller is a friend, I am not in the habit of screwing over friends... yet my friend for the most part just wants to get rid of it. Which would be why he showed up at my house with it... I guess he feels I can make something nice of it and take care of it in a way which he cannot??? Not sure what he was thinking... but there you go.
I am sure he is not really concerned about the dollars... nor am I really.

Having said that... $20 dollars is a little light don't you think? I mean, if I was to buy it... sure I would probably not give tons of money for it... but I also understand very well how long it takes a Procumbens to get a trunk the diameter of just over 2 inches... $20 dollars would be less than a dollar a year to grow it.

Probably more in the neighborhood of 50 cents a year? Maybe 25 cents... or getting close?

Last edited:

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Friend, buy rejected material, Friend ?????????????

Weird behaviour.
Humble apologies -------------Reject.
Good Day
Anthony

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd give it a go. Nothing to lose. But a lot to gain educational wise. Maybe lean it over a bit? Not sure because it isn't right in front of me.
You're excellent at taking stock like this and making something from them. I believe you will give it a shot and it's going to look great.

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's a trap! Once enough of us say it's crap, he'll spring he finished image on us ;)
I agree! We all know Stacy wouldn't really ask our
opinion about buying something without an ulterior
motive. He's baiting us for some fantastic reveal or
something:D

Top Bottom