Good Native species in Maryland ?

pstaboche

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I’m becoming more interested in utilizing native species for bonsai. I live in Maryland and wanted to ask if what species grow here that would make a good bonsai? Any experience or pictures would be great! Thanks!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Elm, hornbeam , hackberry and beech

Agreed, to add to Mike's list, any species of elm naturalized into the landscape will work well. Siberian elm needs (must have) more sun, red or slippery elm tolerates more shade than most elms. Most elms are 3/4 to full sun trees.

Fruit trees, most genus Prunus members, plums & cherries, work well as larger specimens, over a meter tall. They can work as very small abstract shohin size, but for tree like images, go big is easier. Prunus tend to be disease prone, be up on your plant pathology. Spring flowers on plums and cherries can't be beat.

Apples, and crab apples are largely European in origin, but many have naturalized. All make good bonsai, any size. One or two species of crab are native to USA.

Persimmon, Diospyros virginiana makes good bonsai, more winter hardy than the Asian princess persimmon species.

You can explore your local native oaks, these are a challenge, due to large leaves and tendency to coarse branches, but one can develop fine branch work with time. Well worth the effort to learn. I suggest bur oak for it has the most coarse, rugged bark of USA native oaks. It also has largest leaves on young trees. But I have gotten leaves under 1 inch, which is moving into acceptable range for bonsai. Yes, Burr oak with leaves less than 1 inch. Then I repotted, got more big leaves. Still working on one. Not ready for a "big reveal" yet. See what you can do.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bald cypress and hop hornbeam

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Crataegus - the genus of Hawthorn trees. These are excellent, there are North American and European species and landscape hybrids.

I have Ostrya, hop-hornbeam, and really like it. Good as bonsai.

Pinus virginiana - has long needles, but can be used.

Pinus rigida - the pitch pine, is pretty good for bonsai. Famous for back budding on old wood. This is not as big a positive as it might sound makes management a little different. Needles twist, so can look messy compared to Japanese pines.

Pinus strobus - eastern white pine - this species is the only native I will tell you flat out to not waste time with. You can spend 2 decades developing a tree, and you will be disappointed. There's one or two exhibition quality EWP, but only one or two. Given how common they are in the landscape, they should be common on the show benches. They are rare because they are very difficult to get good results from. Avoid EWP. Or risk it breaking your heart.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Staying my questions here...how does one get permission to collect in Maryland outside the national parks?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I tried looking for the transplant information and didn't have much initial success... I'm in Baltimore county
Like I said, depends on where you want to collect. There are no set of uniform rules for doing so. Federal land is scarce, protected state and national parks MAY allow SOME kinds of collection, but you have to know what to ask and who to ask it of. It's complicated.

County collection rules also vary, some depends on the location and species you're after. Private land can be the easiest, since mostly asking a landowner (if you know who that is) is the straightforward solution. However, you have to know how to ask for that permission. Sometimes asking "can I collect bonsai trees?" on your property can lead to them thinking they may have a profitable gold mine...takes some strategically asked questions sometimes.

I'd say in Baltimore county, you might start with the county parks management --and probably more pertinent Baltimore County Property Management, and work your way through to someone who might understand. Not going to be easy...Not to be cynical or an a-hole, but only to be honest, expect initial laughter, or skepticism, at your requests. Get past it. It can come with the territory. good luck.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks, luckily I do a fair bit of volunteering in patapsco and know one of their environmental program managers...perhaps a noble start.

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks, luckily I do a fair bit of volunteering in patapsco and know one of their environmental program managers...perhaps a noble start.

Ask around for areas where they're trying to clear invasive species. I've been able to organize club trips to collect pyracantha, honeysuckle, melaleuca, privet, Siberian elm from otherwise protected space by offering that sort of removal service.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ask around for areas where they're trying to clear invasive species. I've been able to organize club trips to collect pyracantha, honeysuckle, melaleuca, privet, Siberian elm from otherwise protected space by offering that sort of removal service.
Excellent!

stu929

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Agreed, to add to Mike's list, any species of elm naturalized into the landscape will work well. Siberian elm needs (must have) more sun, red or slippery elm tolerates more shade than most elms. Most elms are 3/4 to full sun trees.

Fruit trees, most genus Prunus members, plums & cherries, work well as larger specimens, over a meter tall. They can work as very small abstract shohin size, but for tree like images, go big is easier. Prunus tend to be disease prone, be up on your plant pathology. Spring flowers on plums and cherries can't be beat.

Apples, and crab apples are largely European in origin, but many have naturalized. All make good bonsai, any size. One or two species of crab are native to USA.

Persimmon, Diospyros virginiana makes good bonsai, more winter hardy than the Asian princess persimmon species.

You can explore your local native oaks, these are a challenge, due to large leaves and tendency to coarse branches, but one can develop fine branch work with time. Well worth the effort to learn. I suggest bur oak for it has the most coarse, rugged bark of USA native oaks. It also has largest leaves on young trees. But I have gotten leaves under 1 inch, which is moving into acceptable range for bonsai. Yes, Burr oak with leaves less than 1 inch. Then I repotted, got more big leaves. Still working on one. Not ready for a "big reveal" yet. See what you can do.
This right here is why I love when Leo checks in!!!

Top Bottom