Good online source for Chinese Elms?

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Chinese Elm as urban bonsai

Hi all,

I have some awesome trees that I have to now put into the care of a good friend while I move to a NYC apartment for a few years. During that time, I'll need something to keep me entertained while I'm denied my sun loving outdoor trees =(

I figured I could just get a Chinese Elm or Willow Leaf Ficus (if I'm lucky enough to find one!) and place it on the balcony that gets morning and evening sun, and bring it inside during the cold months. Does anyone have experience with this?

Are there any decent sources for Chinese Elms (without the S curve) online?

Thanks!

Theo

Last edited:

capnk

Mame
Reaction score
DSC_0718-1.jpgDSC_0719-1.jpg

Regular Chinese elm? Seiju? Corkbark?
How much would you like to spend?

Chris Kirk
Telperion Farms
tfarms@wvi.com

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Any type of Ficus will do well in the situation you described along with the Scheffelera Arboricola, if you want an Elm from online there is this guy in Florida who sells online, his are Catlin Elms mostly grown by him, although he does have the "s" imports too, he has many 1-2 year old plants and also some around 5 years old. His prices are reasonable too!

http://www.japannursery.com/ he also has seeds for these I got a few years ago for my forest planting. If you want any tropicals he has tons of those too.

ed

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Chris,

I'm looking for specifically a Chinese Elm since I believe the other varieties need to be outdoors all year, while the Chinese Elm can be indoors at least part of the year. My budget is around $25, depending on how nice the nebari and trunk are.

ed,

thanks for the link. i'll check it out.

Top Bottom