Good Pine Resources

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was wondering if anyone knew of a book/s or any other source that's a good definitive reference for working with pines, both in general and more advanced topics? I'm relatively self taught and pretty well versed with deciduous trees considering the amount of time Ive been in the hobby, but have little experience with the practice of working with pine species and would like to become more confident before obtaining something more worth while.

On another note is there any good learning sources for the preliminary training stages for pines? I know there's a lot of information out there about pines but it seems like it all encircles the refinement stages and or normal maintenance on already developed trees.

Thanks
-Mike

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
if you are looking to purchase something worth while then honestly the refinement and maintenance techniques are probably exactly what you are looking for...

now if you are looking to find some information about how to grow "something worth while" then from my own personal experience its pretty much a two step process....

1) grow a decent sized trunk with good nebari and some low branching
2) start building ramification and branches

i know that seems kind of simplistic but basic bonsai techniques and lots of time are what go into both those stages

here are some results from a quick search on field growing pines...
Jerry Meislik (great artist and great guy) -- http://www.bonsaihunk.us/info/Pines.html
Brent Walson (knows all the secrets) -- http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/pines.htm http://www.evergreengardenworks.com/pines2.htm

I'm sure there is more but those two articles can really help... there is a Bonsai Pines book from stone lantern.... I haven't looked at my copy in a few years but there may be some basics in there...

for refinement info obviously there is lots of information.... and a lot of it is here on the forums in threads started by many members.... I believe there may be a series by Smoke aka "Al Keppler" on the topic in which you will undoubtably find great information clearly illustrated

hope this helps you some... if you can be more specific about your desires I am sure we can help fill in the gaps...

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I think the Stone Lantern book on pines is pretty good. It has a lot of reference material and shows a lot of advanced trees and techniques. Because it is a compilation of articles (instead of a book created for the purpose) the content is neither as neatly organized, nor as comprehensive as would be perfect, but it is still pretty good, in my opinion. It is a great reference for people who don't have all of the Bonsai Today magazines.

There is an excellent article in the Stone Lantern book about growing black pine from seed. While I don't necessarily recommend doing this (unless you are currently 10 years old :) ), it shows the process of quickly developing nebari and trunk taper. It is pretty amazing the trees that can be created in 15 years from seed.

Another good reference is Steve Pilacik's book on Black Pines. Because it focuses specifically on two-needle pines, it is not directly applicable to white pines (because the process and timing is different). However for black pines it is a very good general reference.

Good luck in your quest! I love Black Pines but they are very time-consuming and challenging. No other tree in my opinion requires such a close level of attention to get good results. After working with them for 20 years I am only now starting to understand them :) It has been a long journey of heartbreak punctuated by moments of surprised success :)

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have all the Bonsai today magazines, as I collected them thru the years I would read the articles about pines and log the tips in my memory bank. As each issue came out, the next article about pines always seemed a little different. This guy would say do this and the next guy would say do that. I always felt that each new issue obviously carried the newest and most up to date ideas on the propagation and refinement on pines.

Later on when I found out that Bonsai Today did articles from Japan translated from Kindai Bonsai magazine and that some of the articles were over ten years old, I began to question the freshness of the information. Now we have a resource that is over 30 to 35 years old, is a mixture of about 15 articles all of whom seem to disagree with one another with each idea and one can come away from that compilation with more questions that when they started.

One good article about pines is enough to get someone started. Really finishing a pine takes more than what can be written in a book.

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for all the responses guys. I knew I would probably get a general answer since my question was on the vague side. I was mainly looking for the best resources as far as refinement and the practices of developing and preserving a pine's shape while keeping them healthy. The other resource I asked about as far as working with less developed stock was so I could get a better idea of the inner workings of pines by learning the process of growing branches and how to ramify them as well as the other practices that go along with that.

painter

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
another good source is boons dvds. i own the black pine decandling . it gives info on a tree in training(bud selection, branch thickening , pruning) and how to refine a mature tree.(needle shortening)
there isnt anything on growing from scratch tho.
and the video is worth it because it is to the point and i can rewatch it whenever i need to.
p

Mike423

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks again guys and thanks for the PDF Brain.

"another good source is boons dvds" Thanks for reminding me, i actually own the JBP Boon dvd's but haven't had the time to watch them yet, and coincidentally forgot I even had them :rolleyes: I actually have a bunch of great stuff starting to pile up I want to dig into including Peter Adam Japanese Maple Book. But I guess since The crushing Chicago winter has started I'll have plenty of down time to catch up :)

Last edited:

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hehe, hey Mike if you want the dvds forgotten again send them to me, and I'll answer your post for you.:)

Top Bottom