Good price for beginner tools

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
What do you guys think about this Bonsai tool set?

https://www.kaizenbonsai.com/12-piece-bonsai-tool-kit
I would skip it. The only tools in there that I would use are the concave cutter and the scissors. The broom, rake, all those little extras are cute, but are pretty useless to me. I don’t know the quality of these tools but for £49 I think you could get yourself a pretty decent pair of scissors and a concave cutter from one of the aforementioned sources. This kit is like most kits you find: A couple of useful pieces and the rest are just filler to make it look better.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Looking for some kind of 3 tool set of concave, splitter/cutter, knob cutters. I actually like buying other stuff separate, i think some garden scissors work better and last longer. I never found much use for the others when i bought a carbon 10 set. They also rust too easy and not the greatest quality.

tylerwdesign

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Depends on what quality you want to pay for i suppose, Those look kinda like mine, that's why i'm buying 3 stainless steel tools today.:oops:

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
True confession time. All this talk of tools got me worked up. I had a good deal with some Ebay bucks and bought the BIG spherical concave cutter from American Bonsai last night...what can I say? I had a(nother) moment of weakness. Sometimes I think I will go broke saving money on things.

kyle8734

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I own a few of the stainless Mu Tian tools I bought from Amazon a while back, overall I like them alot for the price. For a fairly cheap Chinese made tool they are actually decent and good quality surprisingly

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
True confession time. All this talk of tools got me worked up. I had a good deal with some Ebay bucks and bought the BIG spherical concave cutter from American Bonsai last night...what can I say? I had a(nother) moment of weakness. Sometimes I think I will go broke saving money on things.

I'm going to buy a few from there also...hope they are good quality.:confused:

Gsquared

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I'm going to buy a few from there also...hope they are good quality.:confused:
The couple of tools I've gotten from them previously have been good so far. Of course time will tell, but I have a good feeling about them.

Cable

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I got a set of mu tian for Christmas. Haven’t used them yet but I think they’re nice.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I just got my 3 today, along with 2/2.5/3 aluminum wire....ready to tear into stuff! :mad::p
They look smooth no doubt...have to see how they work.

R3x

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8?
Just put "bonsai tool set" into eBay and you'll get complete (like 10pcs) sets of cheap Chinese tools. They should work for beginner. Something like this:
25bst001-10pcs_03.jpg

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I have that set, bought it a few years ago. I suppose it works, and not really junk but if i had to do it over i'd buy better quality. But if you want something cheap and not sure you want to do Bonsai yet, it works.

BigBen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Looks like a decent beginner's set.
I purchased a set similar to that many years ago, and it has served me very well.
And now that I'm just getting back into the hobby full speed ahead, I purchased much better quality tools in 2017.

I also must say that this particular website, REALLY helps me get re-energized and enthusiastic.
The folks here are AWESOME!!!

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Top Bottom