Good size field grown Viburnum

Jacos

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello,

This Viburnum is sitting in my growing field about 6-7year now.
At the time I bought it as a big container plant at a local nursery.
The label stated it was a Cornus Mas….soon I found out it wasn’t.
At the time I was a little disappointed.

But the Viburnum has gained a good trunk size in the field and with the very mild winter here
in Belgium the buds are sprouting already.

So it is time to get this one going in a container so I can try to refine the canopy.

Earlier on I have made an octagonal crate to fit the root ball.

I will lift it out the ground, try to bare root the thing and plant it up in my new soil mix:
1/3 Akadama 1/3 pumice 1/3 small calibre gravel.

Later this month I will also do some cutting back and wiring.
I will keep it stored in a shed to protect against late frost.

All thoughts and tips are welcome.

In the field autumn 2015:
autumn 2015 in field.jpg

Lifting out the root ball February 2016:
Viburnum lifted.jpg

Root baal washed out:
roots washed out.jpg

MauroUna

Sapling
Reaction score
Über dig.

Had no idea viburnum were a viable bonsai candidate! Will definitely keep my eyes peeled for something to work on.

And on another note, that grow box is rad. Who ever said they had to be so unfashionable??

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Very nice tight root area. Even has enough growth to trim roots back further. Well done! Did you root prune the tree periodically while it was ground growing? Every year? A different interval?

Jacos

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
@MauroUna : I had, and still have no, idea if Viburnum will be a good bonsai candidate. Like I pointed out earlier, it was suppose to have been a Cornus Mas.
The 'rad' box is also for my comfort on the turning table. Easier to work on the tree and questing for the best possible front.

@Tieball : Yes it has a tied rootball:rolleyes:. Every year, in late fall, I circle around and under the tree with a sharp spade. I do not actually lift it out of the ground to root prune.
That's also why it lifted out of the ground so easy yesterday.

@BobbyLane : Thx.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice.

Looks tough, great base.

Sorce

Jacos

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Update Feb 6, 2015:

Took my tools, 2 and 1,5mm wire and went to work on my Viburnum.
Also did a little carving on the bigger wounds.

As you can see I left some of the branches a bit long, but I have noticed in the past that
early hard pruning leads often to branch dead in this species.

So I will be shortening some branches more once the tree is extending more new growth.

With the sun so low at the horizon I had a hard time taking a decent photo.
I find this easier later in the season when the sun stands higher up.

Measures 40cm high, trunk at the base 11cm (I think that’s about 16 inches and 4.5 inches?)

All ideas, criticism and comment are welcome..
20160216d viburnum.jpg

20160216e viburnum.jpg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
image.jpeg Nice work. Just suggestion....you might look at these areas of pruning and filling. I marked them in white. I just thought the right side needed shortening in width and some branch work bent upward to begin filling that hole in the upper right. You've done a fabulous job so far....keep up the focused effort.

However, I do not have the tree in front of me. What I see in the photo may not necessarily represent reality or your personal desire. Your creative approach should be considered first....and you get to look at the tree from all sides, angles and planned direction for growth.

I hope you'll post this when the spring leaves break out. I think you have an excellent foundation and it will only get better over the growing seasons. I like the way the base of the tree looks...it has a lot of muscular looking strength grabbing the soil. Well done!

Jacos

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks for your suggestions Tieball.

You are right the tree need to be more compact at this stage of development.
And later on, there need to be more secondairy branching to fill up gaps.

I will take these points to hart.
Will post pictures later on in spring.

onlyrey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I like Viburnum as Bonsai (this one is Walter's). I am bringing this one back to shape since I left it on the ground for a couple of years at my parents. During that time, suckers grew, and lower branches had dieback.

After putting it back on a training pot and cutting back top growth and suckers, the two branches with dieback have new growth. I think that if you stay on top of its suckers, Viburnum do well as bonsai.
As of wiring, I just use it on fairly new growth (lose wiring) to give it direction. So please don't mind my "technique".
image.jpeg

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well done! Awesome Flamingo accent too.

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Any updates on this tree? It’s a real beast! I have the chance to dig up a large viburnum this spring, debating whether I should.

Top Bottom