Good source for annealed copper wire

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
For those of you in the market for annealed copper wire, I just wanted to provide this source. Some of you may know that Julian Adams has gotten out of the annealed copper wire business. He has transitioned the business to Jeremiah McKinney, who has been matching the pricing previously provided by Julian:

25' #6--$18
25' #8--$13
50' #10--$14
50' #12--$10
50' #14--$9
50' #16--$8
50' #18--$5
50' #20--$4

Introductory Special:
1 each #'s 8,10,12,14,16,18,& 20 -- $58

ambonsaiwire@gmail.com

COPPER TRAINING WIRE: Goes on easy, then holds!

Annealed solid copper wire is the choice of bonsai masters for bonsai training and refinement. Annealed copper wire has the unique property of changing its stiffness as it is applied to a branch. Annealed copper wire is very soft for easy application when wrapping a branch. As it is applied to the branch, annealed copper wire work hardens (greatly increases its stiffness) giving superior holding power. No other wire has this peculiar and useful characteristic. It is easier to apply than aluminum for a specific holding power, requires less wire, and is therefore less expensive per tree. Copper has the additional benefit of a dull reddish brown color that is blends with the natural color of the bark for a more attractive look. Forethought and correct wiring are encouraged since the softness is lost on the first bending. Annealed copper is a pleasure to use with good wiring technique yet is no worse than aluminum with poor wiring techniques. To avoid bark injury, wire should always be removed with wire cutters. Bright, shiny, copper wire is almost never annealed and is very stiff and hard to use.

For several years this wire was produced for our personal bonsai training. Over the past thirty years, Adams’ Bonsai has quietly become the copper training wire supplier of choice for bonsai professionals and knowledgeable hobbyists throughout the eastern US. Our wire has been repeatedly used with pleasure by visiting international bonsai masters. We offer only traditional fire annealed soft drawn copper wire (99+% pure) in coils sized to be easily carried from home to workshop while discouraging unintended bending (with subsequent loss of softness). Our copper wire is sold by length (50 foot coils except #'s 6, & 8 in 25 foot coils) to facilitate easily estimating your needs. Our pricing is determined by the copper content (weight) and production labor. Please call for special pricing on club or convention orders.

ambonsaiwire@gmail.com

Just going to say... some folks could use some business and it sounds like Jeremiah could use some. If you are in the market for copper wire, consider sending him some business. I just did!

Last edited:

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Jeremiah does it right...
...from a friendly business point of view, making you feel welcomed
to accurate speed and quality of product, as does Julian :)
I got their emails mixed up and Julian filled my last order from his in store supply.
Super nice folks!

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I always bought my wire from Julian. Since Jeremiah took over I've ordered once or twice. Same great service, quick, good packing. I'll be ordering again.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
For those of you in the market for annealed copper wire, I just wanted to provide this source. Some of you may know that Julian Adams has gotten out of the annealed copper wire business. He has transitioned the business to Jeremiah McKinney, who has been matching the pricing previously provided by Julian:

25' #6--$18
25' #8--$13
50' #10--$14
50' #12--$10
50' #14--$9
50' #16--$8
50' #18--$5
50' #20--$4

Introductory Special:

ambonsaiwire@gmail.com

adamsbonsai2019dec28008001.jpg

Annealed solid copper wire is the choice of bonsai masters for bonsai training and refinement. Annealed copper wire has the unique property of changing its stiffness as it is applied to a branch. Annealed copper wire is very soft for easy application when wrapping a branch. As it is applied to the branch, annealed copper wire work hardens (greatly increases its stiffness) giving superior holding power. No other wire has this peculiar and useful characteristic. It is easier to apply than aluminum for a specific holding power, requires less wire, and is therefore less expensive per tree. Copper has the additional benefit of a dull reddish brown color that is blends with the natural color of the bark for a more attractive look. Forethought and correct wiring are encouraged since the softness is lost on the first bending. Annealed copper is a pleasure to use with good wiring technique yet is no worse than aluminum with poor wiring techniques. To avoid bark injury, wire should always be removed with wire cutters. Bright, shiny, copper wire is almost never annealed and is very stiff and hard to use.

For several years this wire was produced for our personal bonsai training. Over the past thirty years, Adams’ Bonsai has quietly become the copper training wire supplier of choice for bonsai professionals and knowledgeable hobbyists throughout the eastern US. Our wire has been repeatedly used with pleasure by visiting international bonsai masters. We offer only traditional fire annealed soft drawn copper wire (99+% pure) in coils sized to be easily carried from home to workshop while discouraging unintended bending (with subsequent loss of softness). Our copper wire is sold by length (50 foot coils except #'s 6, & 8 in 25 foot coils) to facilitate easily estimating your needs. Our pricing is determined by the copper content (weight) and production labor. Please call for special pricing on club or convention orders.

ambonsaiwire@gmail.com

Just going to say... some folks could use some business and it sounds like Jeremiah could use some. If you are in the market for copper wire, consider sending him some business. I just did!
Received our wire from him about a month or two ago (can't tell time anymore with this lockdown). Very satisfied. Super easy. Product is great. He's very nice.

Arlithrien

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
What's a broadly applicable wire size for a beginner? I'd like to purchase maybe 2-3 sizes max.

Japonicus

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
for a beginner?
10, 12 and 14 but it depends on what your material is that you're beginning with.
A beginner is not likely to use the 2 smallest and 2 biggest wires as often, in the introductory package,
which was my 1st purchase from Julian years ago. I normally wire medium sized conifers and #8 is the biggest I use
and not something I began with. Unlike aluminum it hardens once bent retaining the shape better so unwiring and rewiring
a branch is, well you just don't reuse the copper, and best to cut it off.

EDIT: I would get 4 sizes and include #16

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
What's a broadly applicable wire size for a beginner? I'd like to purchase maybe 2-3 sizes max.
There are no beginner sizes. If you limit the sizes, you limit what you can do. The smallest size you need is 18 gauge, but you could probably get by with 16. Maybe you could skip 14 and go to 12. Then, if you only work on very small trees, you could get 10 gauge for your third caliber. As Japonicus mentioned, it depends what you’re working with.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The $58 introductory special is what I got and had a full selection of all I needed for a very reasonable price. That's what I would get if I were you.

I picked up two "intro specials". He should consider renaming it "variety pack" :)

I find when doing heavier work there are times when I prefer using two medium thick wires instead of one really thick one. It all depends on the job.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

25' #6--$18
25' #8--$13
50' #10--$14
50' #12--$10
50' #14--$9
50' #16--$8
50' #18--$5
50' #20--$4

Introductory Special:

ambonsaiwire@gmail.com

adamsbonsai2019dec28008001.jpg

ambonsaiwire@gmail.com

I have gotten copper wire exclusively from Jeremiah. The dude answers email in a timely manner and he gets orders shipped pretty quick. As far as I can tell, the wire has been annealed professionally and I haven't experienced any hard or uneven spots to note. Give him a try!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I recommend getting the “starter set”. That’s some of everything. After you use it a while, you’ll figure out which sizes you use the most.

But, all sizes are needed.

I personally use gauge 16 the most.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I picked up two "intro specials". He should consider renaming it "variety pack" :)

I find when doing heavier work there are times when I prefer using two medium thick wires instead of one really thick one. It all depends on the job.
Just ordered another intro special 😆

Top Bottom