Good specimen for Yamadori? Common Buckthorn (pics)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Good day Nuts,

What do you guys think of this tree as a Bonsai?

It's a common BuckThorn, (Rhamnus cathartica). The leaves are relatively small and I've see it Bonsaid.
img1.jpg
img.jpg

Last edited:

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I’ve taken a few buckthorn from nature and learned from them. I killed 4 or 5 in my first few years but as @Arnold says, who really cares. You can’t throw a rock without hitting 6 or 7 buckthorns around me…

I have a group of 5 planted in a forest that survived my pitiful noob years. I have no recent pics, this is from 2 springs ago I believe. Nothing special, but they are easy to work with and nearly impossible to kill.
FDDED0EE-B73C-4F14-A0CF-BB661F1184F2.jpeg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’ve taken a few buckthorn from nature and learned from them. I killed 4 or 5 in my first few years but as @Arnold says, who really cares. You can’t throw a rock without hitting 6 or 7 buckthorns around me…

I have a group of 5 planted in a forest that survived my pitiful noob years. I have no recent pics, this is from 2 springs ago I believe. Nothing special, but they are easy to work with and nearly impossible to kill.
What have you learned from them? I must ask, if they're impossible to kill, what did you do, that killed them? lol

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Mostly it was something I could wire, hack at, throw fertilizer on, and try different types of soil mediums without worrying about killing something important or expensive

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
What have you learned from them? I must ask, if they're impossible to kill, what did you do, that killed them? lol
So far I’ve learned that they do not like to dry out. the buckthorn in my pond basket is not doing so well. Someone else-@Sorce mentioned poor results in pond baskets.
Of course there are soo many variables.

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
^ditto

I definitely noticed a tendency for leaves drooping before many other species

Top Bottom