Good time for wiring mugo pine?

mickey12

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Vance, when is a good time for wiring mugo pine, just got one from the nursery.
I'm in zone 5a.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Add a "@" symbol before someone's name to alert them, in case ya didn't know :cool:

@mickey12

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
If you haven't check out the resource: Compiled Vance Wood on Mugo Pines

WIRING: Wiring can be done in the summer, after pruning. I have never noticed an adverse reaction to anything I have done provided it is at the right time of the year. The only adverse effect I have noticed is when I get impatient and start wiring the tree before the end of June. Then I might slip the bark, bust off a bud or two and the wire might start to bite into the bark too early.

I have wired mugos in the winter, late summer and fall. If your tree is still dormant you would probably be okay. If your tree is waking up you risk slipping the bark as @Vance Wood pointed out.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
If you haven't check out the resource: Compiled Vance Wood on Mugo Pines

I have wired mugos in the winter, late summer and fall. If your tree is still dormant you would probably be okay. If your tree is waking up you risk slipping the bark as @Vance Wood pointed out.

I usually do fall for major wiring, and after candle pruning in summer for minor wiring

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I been trying to be on a....

Get it in a pot/basket first kick.

But havent we seen Vance repot and begin wiring a healthy tree all at once in June/July?

I am going to wire mine after spring growth.

After witnessing the bud plumping action that takes place end of summer, early fall...
I figure that is the time the bend holding tissues are being put on, and we want to capitalize on that.

Wiring after that fall plumping seems just a winter danger, and should be left till spring.
IMO.

Then in spring, you gotta beware of new delicate growth.

I believe you can wore a healthy one whenever you want.

But I also believe in a Prime time.

Sorce

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I usually do fall for major wiring

For me major wiring is usually accompanied by some significant pruning. I find late summer / early fall a good time so that there is time for any damage to be sectioned off before winter.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
As pointed out above primetime is late summer early fall. The tree is putting on vascular growth and holding/healing in the new position potential is at its highest. Branches will be healed and set going into winter, instead of winter wiring and branches sit damaged til growth picks back up in spring. Wiring anytime seems to "work" but best results for me have been late in the growing season

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
instead of winter wiring and branches sit damaged til growth picks back up in spring.

Amen.....cuz Then in spring, growth is going into the new shoots we don't have wired anyway, so it's pretty much useless until around the solstice.

But I can see that summer thru fall giving you most 75% of the holding, and that little spring kick giving you the last 25%.

Unwire rewire at the solstice.

Another thing I'm trying to wire for and pay attention to is backbudding....

Paying attention to the future, where buds will pop, not covering them, or making it difficukt to unwire later witgout damaging them.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cut the wire off.

Whatever is safest!
(For a guy who doesn't sharpen his wire cutters)

Usually I spin it off till the spin off becomes a hazard then I snip it well clear of the branch.

I think, the variables in copper wire consistency, and the consistency in application, makes this argument last forever.

When you are Boon trained to ALWAYS apply it the same way, with the same wire, it comes off in the same manner...

But when its applied without attention to the Coppers memory, which is more exact than ours, we can not remember ourselves where to apply the EXACT reverse twist to get it off properly, which leads to unseen leverage damaging the branch.

This is a matter of a Physics which can not be changed, but no one ever mentions!

Whatever is safest!
(Unless you're boon trained!)

Or paying full attention.?

Sorce

Top Bottom